Brazzil

Since 1989 Trying to Understand Brazil

Home

----------

Brazilian Eyelash Enhancer & Conditioner Makeup

----------

Get Me Earrings

----------

Buy Me Handbags

----------

Find Me Diamond

----------

Wholesale Clothing On Sammydress.com

----------

Brautkleider 2013

----------

Online shopping at Tmart.com and Free Shipping

----------

Wholesale Brazilian Hair Extensions on DHgate.com

----------

Global Online shopping with free shipping at Handgiftbox

----------

Search

Custom Search
Members : 22767
Content : 3832
Content View Hits : 33083410

Who's Online

We have 664 guests online



Brazilian Worker's Parents Visit Scene of Crime and Call for Trial of London's Police Chief PDF Print E-mail
2005 - September 2005
Written by Julie Hyland   
Thursday, 29 September 2005 16:10

Menezes's family in Brazil on its way to LondonThe parents of Brazilian worker Jean Charles de Menezes have reiterated their demand that the police officers responsible for killing their son stand trial for murder. They have also called for Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair to stand trial. De Menezes' parents, Matosinhos Otoni da Silva e Maria Otoni da Silva, along with five other relatives are making a two-week visit to the UK from Brazil to see where their son was killed.

The young worker was gunned down by police officers on July 22 while he was seated on a London Underground train. A total of eleven shots were fired without warning, seven at point blank range to his head. Afterwards, police admitted that a shoot-to-kill policy had been secretly adopted two years earlier.

The police killing took place one day after several bombs planted in London apparently misfired, and fifteen days after a series of subway bombings killed more than 50 people in Britain's capital city.

In an interview with the Daily Mirror, 60-year-old Maria de Menezes told of her agony and outrage at her son's brutal murder and the fact that no one has been held accountable.

"My son was assassinated," she said. "The policemen who did this are nothing more than common killers. It is up to the British government to punish them."

Maria said it was "unbelievable" that the two firearms officers who killed her son were still at liberty, and had even been sent on holiday.

"They should be arrested immediately and they should be in prison waiting for the judgement. We want to see them punished as killers. They must be tried in court for murder. They fired 11 shots at Jean. They wanted to kill him. It was certainly no accident."

Maria demanded that Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair also stand trial. "Ian Blair should be put on trial for corporate manslaughter," she said. "He should be punished too. He is the head of police and he is responsible. He didn't tell the truth. He hid their mistakes and pretended my son was a terrorist."

Ian Blair appeared at a press conference shortly after de Menezes was gunned down and defended the killing, claiming that it was "directly linked" to an anti-terrorist operation in the wake of the July 7 bombings and the July 21 incidents.

At the same time, reports were circulated that de Menezes was a potential terrorist suspect, that he was dressed in a heavy coat on a warm day (so as to conceal a bomb), and that he had attempted to evade capture.

All these claims were proven to be lies. De Menezes' only crime was to live in a block of flats that had been placed under police surveillance following the bombings. There was nothing to connect him with terrorist offences, and the police had no reasons to believe otherwise.

Leaked videotape footage proved that de Menezes walked in a leisurely manner into the Underground station wearing a light denim jacket. He would have had no knowledge that he was being followed until he was set upon by plainclothes police.

Following these disclosures, the Metropolitan police issued a cursory statement apologising for de Menezes' death, whilst defending their actions.

Visiting the scene of her son's murder was "very, very hard," Maria de Menezes said, but added, "I don't want Jean to be forgotten. The police shouldn't be allowed to do this. I have come to make sure it doesn't happen again."

Jean's brother Giovani has also travelled with the family from Brazil. "There is no way we will ever forget Jean," he told the Mirror. "I had only one brother but he was worth a thousand."

Calling for an end to the shoot-to-kill policy, Giovani said, "You can't kill somebody without investigating or even knowing who they are. It must change. We are here to change the law before somebody else gets killed as they go about their business."

The family's trip has been paid for by Scotland Yard and they are expected to visit the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC), which is investigating de Menezes' killing, and to meet MPs in Parliament. But they will find little support for their demands for justice in such circles.

Over the past two months, every effort has been made to quell anger at de Menezes' murder and defend the policies that made it possible.

Amidst demands from politicians and the media that Jean Charles' killing not be "politicised," people have been told to await the outcome of the IPCC investigation. This is not expected to report until December at the earliest, and there is little possibility that it will recommend criminal proceedings against the police officers involved, much less those in the upper echelons of the state and government who authorised the shoot-to-kill policy. IPCC Chairman Nick Hardwick has said he hoped the investigation would strengthen police support for the body.

In the meantime, the IPCC investigation has been used to silence discussion on de Menezes' murder, whilst enabling the government to press ahead with further assaults on democratic rights.

The day before the family's visit, leaked reports revealed that senior Scotland Yard commanders had raised the possibility that police had shot an innocent man within hours of de Menezes being killed. According to the Mirror, "Scotland Yard sources reportedly claimed officers became concerned as soon as they checked the identification in his wallet and told commanders of their doubts."

Up to four leading officers had expressed their concerns when it became clear that de Menezes was not carrying a bomb or weapon, and that he had identity papers on him. This was before Sir Ian Blair's public statement that de Menezes had been challenged and was shot after refusing to obey police orders. The same version of events was allowed to circulate for 24 hours, with Scotland Yard publicly linking de Menezes to terror groups.

When these facts came out, the IPCC chairman condemned the reports as "unhelpful."

Whilst public criticism of police and government actions has been declared off-limits, shoot-to-kill remains in force. Appearing before the Commons all-party Home Affairs Select Committee inquiry into the July 7 London bombings earlier this month, Sir Ian Blair spelt out that Prime Minister Tony Blair and Home Secretary Charles Clarke, amongst others, had been privy to the decision to adopt a shoot-to-kill policy.

A spokesman for the Prime Minister stated that he could not remember being told about this procedural change.

Sir Ian Blair insisted that the policy not be altered, despite the death of an innocent man. The police had carried out a "fairly quick" review of policy following de Menezes' shooting and had made "a small number of administrative changes, but the essential thrust of the tactics remains the same," he said.

Rejecting that the police should be held accountable for their actions, Blair insisted they must be free to take "hard decisions."

Originally published by the World Socialist Web site - www.wsws.org



Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Reddit! Del.icio.us! Mixx! Free and Open Source Software News Google! Live! Facebook! StumbleUpon! TwitThis Joomla Free PHP
Comments (15)Add Comment
Give it a rest
written by Guest, September 30, 2005
How is it possible that this type of global media exposure is occuring over the death of a Brazilian in Europe? Every day, men women and children are murdered by their own in Brazil, and not a notice or a mention is ever reported. But, for the sake of grabbing headlines, this man has made the global newspapers. Before Brazil makes such a big deal over an unfortunate incident, perhaps the government of Brazil would like to post the annual murder and kidnapping statistics for 2004 and 2005? Was it not front page news in Rio in 2003 that "only" 57 people were murdered during the week of Carnival? Published as this was a decrease over the year before? Before you start persecuting other peoples of the world for their wrong "doings", you may wish to vent your own house first.
Justice for the illegal Brazilian
written by Guest, September 30, 2005
My friends are robbed and one murdered in SP - and Lula sends troops to Haiti to preserve order and wants justice in London? Amazing that people who live in glass houses like to throw stones.
...
written by Guest, October 01, 2005
why aren't brazilians, Australians, Americans etc the descendants of those thrown out allowed to live and work in Europe when islamic nutjobs can run around set off bombs and live off welfare? Jean was a victim of insane multiculturalism. Eruope is a sick decaying society and prefers the alien culture of islam over the descendants of those it forced out.
European club!
written by Guest, October 01, 2005
I think you first need to appreciate the history of europe before commenting on a policy of multiculturlism and present day issues with peoples following the Islamic religions. Significant numbers of Australians , brazillians, americans hold two passports allowing this europe work scenario to occur. What you fail to see notice is that rights to European passports and residency run out after both time and family generation.
...
written by Guest, October 02, 2005
cam is that you?
...
written by Guest, October 02, 2005
cam is that you?
Brazilians need to think for themselves
written by Guest, October 06, 2005
stopp believing the so called 'facts' reported in your sensationalist trashy newspapers like odia / extra / oglobo. The facts have yet to be established & unlike in Brazil, there is a transparent investigation which will hold people responsible.
Thank yourselves lucky it is not your job to investigate & tackle terrorists as your daily job, the officers that followed the unfortunate Brazilian were doing so, knowing they could be blown to peices. The shoot to kill policy is not British policy for policing the streets, it is a policy for officers with firearms (less than 5% of the police) in London, who believe they are dealing with a suicide bomber... who is about to detonate a device....
PLEASE USE YOUR BRAINS... YOUR HEADS ARE NOT JUST FOR WATCHING FOOTBALL, THERE IS SOMETHING IN THERE
LOW LIFE
written by Guest, October 06, 2005
Why do the parents want to see people in prison??? will that help them or their son ??? should they not be more interested in getting to the truth, not just wildly calling for everyone to be arrested.
You lost your son... trajic, but please, you dont understand s**t... please be quite and keep off tv, you are an embarressment
Fantástico
written by Guest, October 06, 2005
Não foi a rede Globo quem falou no programa "Fantástico" que no Reino Unido nos últimos dois anos, a polícia matou 5 pessoas....no Brasil no último ano, a polícia matou mais que 2.300 pessaos....

....and now we (the British) are being accused of murdering Brazilians...ninguém merece!

Tim Edwards
Fantástico
written by Guest, October 06, 2005
Não foi a rede Globo quem falou no programa "Fantástico" que no Reino Unido nos últimos dois anos, a polícia matou 5 pessoas....no Brasil no último ano, a polícia matou mais que 2.300 pessaos....

....and now we (the British) are being accused of murdering Brazilians...ninguém merece!

Tim Edwards
Jean Charles de Menezes: Family Campaign
written by Guest, October 09, 2005
We remember Jean Charles de Menezes
7th January 1978 - 22nd July 2005

Justice4Jean (Jean Charles de Menezes Family Campaign)
"Shoot first: ask questions later?" Campaign launch and public rally
http://www.justice4jean.com
justice4jean@hotmail.co.uk, Phone Contact 07765 707 632

Special Event: All are welcome
6.30-9pm, Monday 10th October
London School of Economics, LSE New Theatre, East Building, Houghton St, London, WC2, United Kingdom
(nearest tube stations Holborn and Temple)

Speakers will include:
Family and friends of Jean - Including Jean’s parents and Giovanni da Silva (Jean’s brother)
Gareth Peirce - The de Menezes family’s lawyer
Irene Khan - Secretary General of Amnesty International
Bianca Jagger - Human rights activist and EU goodwill ambassador Matthew Taylor MP - Chair of Lib Dem Party 2003 - 5
Frank Dobson MP
Yvonne Ridley - Journalist / Respect National Council

On 22nd July, Jean Charles de Menezes was shot dead by police at Stockwell tube.
His family is seeking justice and the truth about why Jean Charles was killed.

This meeting is the official campaign launch of the Jean Charles de Menezes Family Campaign.
All Welcome

Jean Charles de Menezes Family Campaign
PO Box 273 • Forest Gate • London • E7 • 07765 707632
justice4jean@hotmail.co.uk

The de Menezes family, in solidarity with the muslim community, will be sharing Iftari at LSE


Read these two articles about Jean Charles de Menezes:
http://www.peacejournalism.com/ReadArticle.asp?ArticleID=5039
http://www.peacejournalism.com/ReadArticle.asp?ArticleID=5436
artigos em inglês


A campanha da familia de Jean Charles de Menezes
"Dispara primeiro e depois pergunta?"
Lancamento da campanha e manifestacao publica
6.30-9pm, Monday 10th October
LSE New Theatre, East Building, Houghton St, London, WC2, UK

Com:
Familia e a amigos de Jean - Inclusive a mae de Jean e o pai de Giovanni da Silva O irmao de Jean.
Gareth Peirce - A advogada da familia
Irene Khan - Secretary General of Amnesty International
Bianca Jagger - Human rights activist and EU goodwill ambassador
Matthew Taylor MP - Chair of Lib Dem Party 2003 - 5
Frank Dobson MP
Yvonne Ridley - Journalist / Respect National Council

* Esta reuniao e o lancamento oficial da campanha da familia de Jean Charles de Menezes
* e uma oportunidade unica para ouvir a familia e a sua equipe legal sobre
* a serie de erros que levaram a morte de Jean Charles e sobre os futuros passos da campanha.
* Sao todos bem vindos. Passe a mensagem Jean Charles de Menezes Family Campaign
PO Box 273 • Forest Gate • London • E7 • 07765 707632
justice4jean@hotmail.co.uk


Map for London School of Economics / Mapa:
(Holborn tube station & Temple tube station)
http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&search_result=&db=pc&cidr_client=none&lang=&pc=WC2A2AE&advanced=&client=public&addr2=&quicksearch=WC2A+2AE&addr3=&addr1=
A terrible tragedy, no doubt...
written by Guest, October 10, 2005
It was a terrible tragedy and overzealous reaction, but where is the justice for the millions of brazilians gunned down by errant police? It is a bit hypcritical to get on a high horse about the British killing one man, given what happens regularly in Brazil. They should be crying out for justice there as well.
justice4jean In memory of Jean Charles
written by Guest, October 14, 2005
To the man with the "high horse" comment, I know you're a man. - You're not even a human being. You have dismissed the heartache that Jean Charles de Menezes mother, father, brother, extended family, and friends are going through. Jean's mother has said "my heart has broken into a thousand pieces".

"High horse" and "overzealous" - Losing a member of your family is what you deserve to realise their loss. Stop excusing the British police murder. Rule of law.

You criticize the Menezes Family for wanting justice, and then say Brazilians should complain about Brazil. Tony Blair, Ian Blair and Charles Clarke are for British state murder by anyone who wears a uniform, and many other human rights abuses like the right to live. They have said shoot to kill is legal in the UK. Shoot to kill is not legal in Brazil, and those who are caught are punished through the legal system.

Those who murdered Jean, or gave the orders to murder Jean must be punished to prevent another innocent being killed again. The family of Jean Charles de Menezes deserve justice.


Other murders by British police:
http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2005/10/325163.html
Police who have murdered have not been prosecuted. Most are serving in the police, so they can murder and brutalise again.

"No Shoot to Kill" Public meeting & conference
EVENT Saturday 15th October 2005, 1:30pm - 4:30pm, Friends Meeting House, Euston Road, London NW1
http://www.blink.org.uk/event.asp?key=9476&grp=13

Rememberence procession for those who have died in custody
United Families and Friends Campaign
EVENT Saturday 29th October 2005, 1pm, London
http://www.blink.org.uk/pdescription.asp?key=8063&grp=13
We will assemble at 1pm at Trafalgar Square (nearest tube: Charing Cross) for a silent march down Whitehall and a noisy protest outside of Downing Street.
Everyone who wants to show their support for families who have lost loved ones is welcome - please wear black. No placards please but bring along trade union / community organisation banners.
For further information e-mail info@uffc.org or ring 07770432 439

Support other families that were murdered by the British police.
Fat Chance
written by Guest, October 19, 2005
No Justice will be served. First World Nations don't take responsiblity for murdering victims of non First World nations. The UK will excuse the behavior of the cops in a obvious case of racial profiling. Sad but still true.
Do you all know what the word \"compassi
written by Guest, November 19, 2005
Your comments are cruel and inhuman. What if this person was your relative? Would you just "give it a rest", as you put it?
"Before you start persecuting other peoples of the world for their wrong "doings", you may wish to vent your own house first."--> There are about 170 million Brazilians living in their native country, should they really all be equated to the level of criminals? Aren't the people who despise violence free to voice their opinions over an unjust act? It's like the victim's mother said ""You can't kill somebody without investigating or even knowing who they are. It must change. We are here to change the law before somebody else gets killed as they go about their business." This is not some stupid racial issue, this policy is detrimental to EVERYONE, it needs to be changed and they're absolutely right to keep persisting on it. Yeah, the more publicity they get in their home country the better, it makes it harder to ignore their son's death and more pressing on the English govt to take the incident seriously.


Write comment

security code
Write the displayed characters


busy
 
Joomla 1.5 Templates by Joomlashack