Content : 3860
Content View Hits : 35451547

Who's Online

We have 748 guests online

The Many Faces of São Paulo, Brazil: Tips for Newcomers PDF Print E-mail
2009 - January 2009
Written by John Fitzpatrick   
Monday, 09 February 2009 22:36

A crowded bus in São Paulo I was looking at an American guide book to Brazil recently and felt great sympathy with the writer when he tried to describe São Paulo. It was obvious that he had been so horrified by the sheer size and apparent chaos of the city that he had ditched all the flowery verbiage which marked the rest of the guide and did little more than list some hotels and restaurants.

He made it clear that the section on São Paulo was for the unfortunate business traveler and not for the sensible tourist who would not go near the place. You could almost sense the relief as he got onto the next chapter.   

This is a natural reaction from any foreign visitor who has been led to believe that Brazil is a kind of gigantic tropical beach-cum-jungle paradise. The fact is that São Paulo can be an overwhelming place even for local and foreign residents.

São Paulo is so big that it is impossible for anyone to know the whole city. It is growing so fast that it has already swallowed up separate municipalities like Guarulhos and Osasco. It is a matter of time before it takes over places like the ABC towns, Jundiaí and, who knows, even Campinas and Mogi das Cruzes. Santos would already be part of the city if it were not for the barrier of the Serra do Mar mountains.

I first came here over 20 years ago and there are still areas I have never set foot in. I have got completely lost many times. Once I took a bus from Osasco to the Pinheiros district, a distance of about six miles. After 10 minutes of following a familiar route, the bus took an unexpected turning and then proceeded to take me through districts which were totally unknown.

I became so confused that I asked the driver if we were really heading for Pinheiros or another district with the same name. He assured me we were. One hour and forty minutes after leaving, I finally arrived at the Largo da Batata bus station. 

I am constantly recommending visitors to double the amount of time they have scheduled just to cope with the traffic. My advice to people coming to live here is to try and find accommodation near your work, leave your car at home and take a taxi or use public transport if possible. Draw up a monthly budget for taxis and you'll find it cheaper than the cost of running a car.

Let the taxi driver cope with the stress, petrol bills, parking costs and overheated engines. It is also worth getting to know a taxi driver you can trust and can call whenever you need him. These are the Sir Galahads of the city and worth their weight in gold. This is because even taxi drivers often don't know certain parts of the city. Getting to your destination can then become like a motor rally with the passenger becoming a navigator/map reader - if the taxi driver has a map, that is.               

As São Paulo has no easily recognizable prominent geographical landmarks, apart from the Serra da Cantareira hill, it is difficult to get a fix on a location. Tens of thousands of skyscrapers block views and the intense traffic makes it hard to get your bearings. Asking passers-by for directions can be frustrating as they are often as lost as you. Don't be surprised if people come up to you in the metro or street and ask for directions even though the signs and street names are marked. This is because many people are illiterate and if you look educated they will assume you can read.  

There are almost 1,000 separate bus routes just within the city and almost 30 terminals. There are also hundreds of routes taking passengers throughout other states in Brazil and even as far away as Santiago de Chile, 3,883 kilometers across the Andes on the other side of the continent. There is a so-called integrated transport system involving buses, trains and the metro stretching from Jundiaí in the north to Ferrazópolis in the south. It looks good on paper but the reality is different.

The metro is far too small for such a large city and can become downright scary at peak periods. I have squeezed out of trains several times during the rush hour before reaching my destination to escape being crushed. The train service is also not up to the task. The CPTM line is still new and efficient but many of the other routes are served by dirty old trains that should have been scrapped years ago. There are also no intercity trains, something which Europeans find incredible.

There are also no train or public bus service to the airports and travelers rely on taxis or private coaches. The airports are far apart. The main domestic airport is in Congonhas, near Jabaquara, while the international airport is at Cumbica in Guarulhos. There is also another international airport at Viracopos, near Campinas, but it is little used although it is easier to reach than Guarulhos.

The administration is not centralized so you can find yourself traveling long distances for essential services. The state government has its official headquarters in Ipiranga but the administration is based in the downtown area. The state assembly building is next to Ibirapuera park while the city council meets in the downtown area.

The area around the Praça da Sé contains some of the financial businesses, including the stock and futures markets, the Bovespa and BM&F, but the main financial groups are headquartered as far away as Osasco (Bradesco), Jabaquara (Itaú), the marginal Pinheiros (Unibanco) and Santo Amaro (Santander).

Most heavy industrial activities are carried on outside the city as such, such as car manufacturing in the ABC towns of Santo André, São Bernardo and São Caetano. The services sector tends to be centered in the Paulista, Faria Lima, Itaim, Berrini districts but many companies have moved even further out in the direction of Interlagos where the Formula One race takes place.  

The bane of a foreigners' life is the Federal Police headquarters which is located in the outer reaches of the Lapa district a long way from its old central location. The previous place was a dump but at least it was in a convenient location.

I had to make two trips to the new Federal Police station recently to renew my visa. This not only meant that I was unable to work those afternoons but I had to pay around 600 reais (US$ 265) in taxi fares and for a despachante (fixer) to get my papers in order.

This is part of the infamous "custo Brasil" which holds this country back.

Welcome to São Paulo!

John Fitzpatrick is a Scottish writer and consultant with long experience of Brazil. He is based in São Paulo and runs his own company Celtic Comunicações. He can be contacted at jf@celt.com.br. You can read more by him at his site www.brazilpoliticalcomment.com.br.

© John Fitzpatrick 2009

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Reddit! Del.icio.us! Mixx! Free and Open Source Software News Google! Live! Facebook! StumbleUpon! TwitThis Joomla Free PHP
Comments (114)Add Comment
so now you are a tour guide
written by forrest allen brown, February 10, 2009
how about a piece on shea goldman something that has teath on it
quit writing thies fulf pieces you are like the senator bauque
all talk no action .

ues your pen to and the internet to bring out the rong out in brasil
written by asp, February 10, 2009
this article just reinforces why i dont want to deal with sao paulo if i dont have to

i have done business there a few times, but, i just feel like i want to bolt

when i have passport issues to clear up at the american consulat....i go to recife...

the thought that one day my busines will force me to spend more time there is like a night mare....

all due respect to sao paulo but it is not the brazilian experiance i want. the heavy brazilian culture starts with rio and goes north
Would Somebody Translate This Jumble Mumble???
written by ..., February 10, 2009
"
so now you are a tour guide
written by forrest allen brown, February 09, 2009
how about a piece on shea goldman something that has teath on it
quit writing thies fulf pieces you are like the senator bauque
all talk no action .

ues your pen to and the internet to bring out the rong out in brasil

"

Huh????

I think that's Papua language..... Hehehehe

Costinha
!
written by me, February 11, 2009
I _LOVE_ Sao Paulo.

Anybody who doesn't just doesn't know how to live.
Side-walks
written by Felipe Fontes, February 11, 2009
...I found difficult even if you want to walk, Avenida Paulista is the only street/avenue with decent side walks. The rest of the city has patch-up concrete and/or tiles as side walks. It seems like every building or property is responsible for its own front area (do it yourself type of side walk) and this is so dangerous for women walking with high-heel shoes.
In my opinion, with better side walks people would be able to walk faster in the congesting areas of the city (like in New York) and to some extend beat the traffic... but then the traffic is something else...... I love SP....
from Osasco to the Pinheiros district, a distance of about six miles.
written by ch.c.., February 11, 2009
and then.....
One hour and forty minutes after leaving, I finally arrived at the Largo da Batata bus station.

Great transport organization !!!!

Typical of Brazil over crowded bureaucraty...totally inefficient !

But....but....but....this creates a lot of new jobs, even for bus drivers....needing 100 minutes for a 6 miles distance !

Viva Brazil...where incompetence is at ALL LEVELS !
ch.c, the genius
written by A Brazilian, February 12, 2009
It takes too long because of the traffic. The sheer amount of cars on the streets prevents faster movement. The same is true for any metropolis. Sometimes the cars may take shortcuts to try to avoid the most jammed streets.

You try too hard to bash Brazil, to the point where you lose any credibility that you might have had. Bureaucracy causes traffic jams!? Jesus, this doesn't even make sense.
written by Augustus, February 12, 2009
Although I've pledged to take a break from posting entries at this blog for a while, I decided to make an exception upon reading this editorial, I just had to make a brief comment, DESPITE the unavoidable criticism which is likely be posted later by some elements (for the sheer sake of criticizing). Yet, I digress...

Perhaps because I've been a New Yorker for so many years, I must admit that my “love” for Manhattan followed my original “love” for Sao Paulo, which impressed me a great deal during my first visit during my early adolescence… Although I was born in Rio de Janeiro (so famous for features which I either dislike or feel indifferent), I must say that I have always TRULY loved the “good old” PAULICEIA (one of my favorite terms for SAMPA)... As such, I must "second" the previous entry - quoted below
written by me, February 10, 2009
I _LOVE_ Sao Paulo.
Anybody who doesn't just doesn't know how to live

Despite the noise, and the UNBEARABLE traffic jams, the diversity of this vibrant city, makes even "Manhattan" to a certain extent, pale by comparison...

Indeed, the city of Sao Paulo is the only place in Brazil, where I could ever consider taking up residency again.
I protest… Freaking racist swiss
written by ..., February 12, 2009
No more swiss chocolate (the Belgian is better anyway), drug money bank heaven, and over priced low tech watches.

CHC (Chronicle Herpes Carrier) – The gayman with itchy genItalia living north of Italia… Up Yours... BUTT, BUTT, BUTT….

Costinha
Ch.C
written by João da Silva, February 12, 2009
I read a shocking news in the following link:

http://www.estadao.com.br/inte...2790,0.htm

Although you are trying to sell the image of Switzerland as a multi racial country, the reality seems to be far different. smilies/sad.gif

I advise Dnb to be careful the next time he visits Zürich. smilies/shocked.gif
Augustus
DESPITE the unavoidable criticism which is likely be posted later by some elements (for the sheer sake of criticizing).

Milord, the criticisms of your noble self have mainly come from some new "Goats". Let me assure you that they have been neutralized by our valiant allies spread all over the world, especially the ones in Geneve,Houston,Edmonton,Baghdad and RJ-RS axis. smilies/cheesy.gif

It is time to put some OR-DUNG here. smilies/wink.gif

Ch.C: You are forbidden to correct my misspelling in German and that of Lord Augustus. And don't ill treat DnB either. smilies/smiley.gif
me
Anybody who doesn't just doesn't know how to live.

You back home in RS ? If so, it must be a relief.
Pleasant lifestyle
written by A Brazilian, February 12, 2009
Although you are trying to sell the image of Switzerland as a multi racial country, the reality seems to be far different

That's the typical Swiss "pleasant lifestyle", according to ch.c. Drug money, nazis, senseless violence.

Ch.c is the greatest example of such kind of people. He is probably part of that group.
To the bunch of idiots, junkies and goats !
written by ch.c., February 12, 2009
"It takes too long because of the traffic."
This I know.
Why dont you then refer to my critics on Brazilian Infrastructures ?
Clear proof there is a lack of it.

And to goats who said bureaucracy has nothing to do....true for goats !
But by having an over crowded and well paid bureaucracy......Brazil has then Not enough money for infrastructures.

Simple as that.

The same amount of money CANNOT be spent 2 OR 3 times.

Even my 10 years old niece could understand this.

Not idiots like you, as you proved it time and again !

LAUGHS....LAUGHS....LAUGHS....LAUGHS...LAUGHS....LAUGHS !!!!!

You cant grow the number of cars, trucks and buses...and keep having the same roads infrastructures which were already not high enough 20 years ago !!!!!

But idiots like you and in your governments believe otherwise...in view of your actual lack of infrastructure and over crowded bureaucracy.

Until proven otherwise...enjoy travelling through SP, Rio, or whatever Brazilian roads....where 5 % of them are paved !

smilies/cheesy.gif smilies/grin.gif smilies/cheesy.gif smilies/grin.gif smilies/cheesy.gif smilies/grin.gif smilies/cheesy.gif smilies/grin.gif smilies/cheesy.gif smilies/grin.gif
Joao "and don't ill treat DnB either"
written by ch.c., February 12, 2009
I have certainly not done it, if you re-read my comments the right way.

And to the idiot A Brazilian "Drug money, nazis, senseless violence."
- There are far more drug trafficking and drug money in Brazil...than in my country.
- Nazis here ? You better go back to basic schools. Nazis were in Germany not in my country...and after the war tens of thousands flew in...SOUTH AMERICA....including in Brazil....not in my country !
- Senseless violence ????? Please provide your sources....instead of insinuating from your imagination ! We have at least 50 times LESS crimes in my country than in Brazil...per 100'000 capita...to keep stats fair.
And my country has one of the World Lowest crime rate...if you did not know.....as per your statement ! Brazil one of the World Highest !

Wellll....A Brazilian....you just proved ONCE MORE....HOW IDIOT YOU REALLY ARE.....UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE !!!!!
Ch.C
written by João da Silva, February 13, 2009
Wellll....A Brazilian....you just proved ONCE MORE....HOW IDIOT YOU REALLY ARE.....UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE !!!!!

Another malicious comment against our good friend "A Brazilian", who had disappeared from this blog for months, because of your constant scoldings (Just like what you did to Lord Augustus and DnB).

I don't think "A Brazilian" is an idiot or a GOAT. You Swiss have let loose your SVP on the foreigners just like your beloved buddy Sarko continues ill treating the immigrants from North Africa (Sarko is an Idiot,Junkie and a GOAT).

If I were a Swiss, I would hang down my head in shame for letting SVP thugs attack a defenseless pregnant lady in the subway of Zürich. I am still shocked to hear about this incident.
smilies/cry.gif

CHC suffers from Laugh-eteria
written by ..., February 13, 2009
Go ahead and laugh on my behalf, since you are the main chaff stupid like a calf, try to stand out like a giraffe among the staff, with a penis size of only a half, it never registers on the graph.

Costinha
written by A Brazilian, February 13, 2009
You cant grow the number of cars, trucks and buses...and keep having the same roads infrastructures which were already not high enough 20 years ago !!!!!

Traffic jams problems are related to any metropolitan area that grow faster than it can change itself. Unlike your little bigoted brain, who can't conceive the dynamics of an ever-growing and ever-changing world (that must be why swiss people have xenophobia issues), people can't pause the world to plan and implement the necessary and only then unpause it and let things flow. The economy grows, migratory patterns change, consumption patterns change (more people buying cars) everything fast.

Give up. You don't make any sense. You are just another nazi. Reason and logic don't work with people like you. f**king pathetic.

You "pleasant lifestyle", besides beating people up for fun, must be very boring. Your world nothing changes, always profiting from laudering money and exploiting the greed and the misery of others. Parasites.
written by gringo, February 13, 2009
I read a shocking news in the following link:

http://www.estadao.com.br/inte...2790,0.htm

Although you are trying to sell the image of Switzerland as a multi racial country, the reality seems to be far different. smilies/sad.gif

Don't pay too much attention to this story Joao, it's falling apart faster than a Brazilian made CCE electronics's product and smells fishier than a boat load of tainha.

http://noticias.terra.com.br/brasil/interna/0,,OI3514191-EI5030,00-Brasileira agredida nao estava gravida diz policia.html
well....lets see what the truth is...
written by asp, February 13, 2009
if the swizz athorities are trying to down play the hedonis act of some prejudice nazis and keep the spotlight off switzerland , then it is even worse , and switzerlands credibility as well as europe in general , what with this on going horible treatment in spain with brazilians trying to travel there, will go down even more and should be scrutinized.

if this was a faked act, a whole lot of people are going to have egg on their face , and, look like they jumped the gun...

im very eager to find out the truth on this one...
This must be said…
As much as I hate to admit but in the USA they don’t condone at least by law, such behavior… In Europe, for the last 15 years or so, they are encouraging it!

I feel for the Arabs, Turks, Latin Americans, Asians making a living on that overpopulated s.h.i.t.hole, Switzerland being the center of that caca deposit (nó do cú). Look at the behavior of Prince Harry’s attitude lately, that carrot head ugly son of a gun.

Are the “super-race” nazis trying to come back? That’s a war I am willing to fight! Not to worry though, nature always has a way with aberrations, and things even out in the longer run.

Costinha

PS CHC gets to much attention, let the old fart ferment in his own misery, who cares?
Hi Gringão….
You, in the frozen Canadian prairies… Me, in exotic Rio during carnival!

Isn’t life a beach?

Costinha
written by A Brazilian, February 13, 2009
The british police said Jean Charlas was terrorist too. I don't trust the police anywhere, especially in Europe. They will lie, cheat, bully, etc, to get their way.
Gringo, it was great to hear from you after a long time.

Don't pay too much attention to this story Joao, it's falling apart faster than a Brazilian made CCE electronics's product and smells fishier than a boat load of tainha.

Even before I wrote my second comment, I knew about this fact! Well it was fun pulling Ch.C´s leg, while it lasted. smilies/cheesy.gif Now, Ch.C is going to remind me of this story for months to come. smilies/cry.gif

ASP, both Costa and you are right about the Brazilians being harassed in Europe. In all fairness, from what I know about Ch.c, he is certainly not a Nazi nor a racist. From what I read, many Brazilians who live in Switzerland have expressed their doubts about Paula Oliveira being carved with a knife by three skin heads at 7.30 P.M. which is supposed to be a busy hour in the subway station in Zürich. Would love to find out the truth.

if this was a faked act, a whole lot of people are going to have egg on their face , and, look like they jumped the gun...

Most probably Lula will put the blame on DEM (erstwhile PFL) to which Paula´s father belongs and poor Celso Amorim will be blamed for being an "eager beaver" in "condemning" Switzerland and threatening to take it up with the U.N. High Commissioner for human rights about this issue.

Anyway, I burst out laughing when I heard the President referring to Paula as "Cumpanheira".smilies/grin.gif.
if the swizz athorities are trying to down play the hedonis act of some prejudice nazis and keep the spotlight off switzerland
written by ch.c., February 13, 2009
Why dont you then read the brazilian Consul statement in Switzerland :
"Brazilians in Switzerland feel very safe, but Brazilians in Brazil ask if Switzerland is a safe country"
Simple as that !

The incident as bad as it is remains a very rare occurence !

What about foreigners...in Brazil ??????
Many are killed, raped, harmed, ransonned,agressed,scammed...YEARLY !
Short memory when not so long ago the U.S. Government issued a travel warning to U.S. citizens going to.....BRAZIL ???????

To whom Brazilians want to give a lesson ? Clean first your own MEGA-MESSY-MUD !

As to foreigners legally in Switzerland, their total is 20 % of the population....on top of the illegals of course !

No country is so much welcoming foreigners. We even provide LEGAL JOBS to these legal foreigners. And being legal residents, they have the same free education rights, states subsidized condos rents if necessary, same social and health coverage rights, unemployment benefits..... as to Swiss people !

What about Brazil ? Nearly impossible for a foreigner to find a job....unless he creates his own enterprise ! Simple as that....until proven otherwise !
Their rights ? Almost none...as you should know but try to hide !

Who is the most anti foreigners ? Switzerland or Brazil ?
Wellll....just look at stats and read many more articles on that subject for the 2 countries !

I repeat....I am talking about LEGAL foreign residents.
Because the illegals residents are mostly also provided a job...still much better paid than middle income Brazilians...if you did not know !
My maid from Central America is paid Brl 60.- PER HOUR ! The minimum is Brl 50.- per hour !

Waiting impatiently your precise answers and comments from the bunch of goats and crappy brazilians idiots that are invading more and more this site !

And let me include now....all the Da Silva !
smilies/cry.gif
Furthermore......
written by ch.c., February 13, 2009
Since your new friends are the Russians, hopefully many Brazilians students will study in Moscow.
And you will see what racism is...there !
They killed, burned alive (true) and harmed seriously many Africans students !

And to Joao da Silva....funny that you continue insinuating I am responsible with DNB...trip away !
Your real face is surfacing more and more.
Dont worry....the truth always surface sooner or later !
Therefore my motto of....NEVER EVER TRUST A BRAZILIAN IN BRAZIL....is as true as ever !
I suppose your DRY LAW is over ! No job, money and family problems, but still enough money for your beers...but not enough for your children and wife !
Dont worry....Robbing Hook doesnt worry either...about you !
Ch.C
And let me include now....all the Da Silva !

Hope this comment is not addressed to me. smilies/grin.gif

On a serious note, what do you think happened ? Why hasn't Marco Trepp, Paula´s Swiss boyfriend , come out and made a statement? That hotshot lawyer comes from a wealthy and well connected family from PE and is employed by a Danish multinational in Zürich. Even though our friend "A Brazilan" has compared this incident with the murder of Jean Charles in London town, I must differ. Jean was an electrician from a poor family and when he got killed no highest authority in this land made a big ruckus. On the contrary, in the case of Paula, all the leaders from the top to middle level have made inflammatory statements.Something doesn't seem right.

Ch.C, you better use your high level contacts to get those flatfooted Zürich cops to stop dragging their feet and find out the truth.

My maid from Central America is paid Brl 60.- PER HOUR ! The minimum is Brl 50.- per hour !

Gut. Is she good looking? smilies/wink.gif
i prefaced the statement with "if", ch c
im looking for the truth in this case and i presented both posable outcomes , as i should have.i didnt jump to any gun about what is happening.and , there is prejudice in europe . there are serious problems as many fires burned all over europe not too long ago demonstrating that something is not hunky dory in europe

and, guess what, i dont presume anyting about racism in europe since i dont ive there. im just informing myself from a distance. but, the brazilians coming back humiliated at spanish customs , in large numbers,speak to an ominous negativity lurking as far as brazilians are concerned about traveling there

and , if it turns out the police are downplaying the truth, it would be a serious statement and the same if this woman is pulling a tawana brawly

so, ch c , dont lump me in with all your proclamations about what you think poeple who make statements about switzerland are.

and what the f**k, yeah,not to sound too plageristic on this forum, but, im so happy to be down here on a brazilian beach during carnival (again for the 22 or 23 time ive lost count) that your barrage of statistics ( for sure they sometimes come in handy)just kind of wash out in the sand...
Ch.C
And to Joao da Silva....funny that you continue insinuating I am responsible with DNB...trip away !
Your real face is surfacing more and more.

Mon Ami, many "Goats" are posting in the name of DnB and you have not done a single thing about it. So you are about to lose an ally.As for your statement that "my real face is surfacing more and more", it is true. I am doing plastic surgeries to look like Frankenstein´s Monster.

Cheers. smilies/cheesy.gif smilies/grin.gif smilies/tongue.gif
ill tell you another thing , chc
...what is really profound about brazil doesnt play out in statistics
You trust the police too much
written by A Brazilian, February 14, 2009
With Jean Charles was the same story. They killed him and then said he was wearing heavy clothes, acting suspiciously, ran away from the police, did't pay the subway ticket, etc.

They made up a lot of excuses as to why he was killed, and every single one of them was a lie.

Clearly this swiss swindle was meant to discredit the woman. There might be cameras where she was attacked, the local would have footprints or fingerprints or hair to be collected that would give a clue about the attackers, etc. What will say if this is true or not is not what some medic says (which was very lame, the fact that the wounds are reachable from her hands means nothing), but what the investigation will find or not find.

Brazilian are so credulous. Americans are more suspicious of the media, the police, the government, etc. Brazilians believe in everything they are told by bureaucrats.
then what do you say about the medical report that sais she wasnt pregnant at the time ...
written by asp, February 14, 2009
...of the wounds ?the truth came out in england.even if they werent held to full account...we all now know the horrible truth

do you think these medical people are blatently lying ?

if it is the truth , it still doesnt rule out the posibility of an attack.

i beleive the truth will come out about this, and , id like to see what it is.
My My My
written by Gringo, February 14, 2009
With Jean Charles was the same story. They killed him and then said he was wearing heavy clothes, acting suspiciously, ran away from the police, did't pay the subway ticket, etc.

They made up a lot of excuses as to why he was killed, and every single one of them was a lie.

Well, I’ll only defend their excuse about the heightened level of alert they were all working under days after London’s worst terrorist attack. Still, they did drop the ball. I agree. As do they. But unlike Brazil, they did eventually come clean and apologise. (For new Brazilians here, we’ll have a lesson on what an apology is later). As well they paid a hefty financial price and worse, it tarnished their honour. Two things Brazilian police don’t possess to lose.

Still, if you want to talk about retarded justice and excuses, just look to the court in Belem that tried those who ordered Sister Dorothy Stang's assignation. The defense claimed she was a spy from the US sent to Anapu to arm a rebellion and steal the Amazon’s resources (a familiar fairy tale in Brazil). This, they accused a 73 year old naturalized Brazilian NUN who’s only real crime was to help those the government thought too unimportant to be concerned with. Not surprisingly, the jury OF PEERS believed Bida's defense attorney on appeal (Bida is the SOB in Anapu who spends his life cattle ranching and killing, like so many others in the Amazon) and now Bida is free in Anapu to organize future assignations. No justice and no remuneration for the family of Dorothy Stang. No surprises.

But what's your point anyway Abe? That because one case in London was handled poorly, under extraneous circumstances, that every case involving a Brazilian will be handled just as poorly in Europe? Should we use this method of “observation equals incrimination” for everything Brazilians do here and abroad as well? If that were the case, this “Brasiliera” in Switzerland would be f**ked!

I know you will continue to use Jean’s case as proof positive for the existence of global conspiracy against Brazilians. The persecution complex here in Brazil is amusing. The whining is deafening at times, but always nauseating.

I actually see the case of Jean Charles, as tragic and unnecessary as it was, as proof that the “judicial system” in England works. Maybe not as quickly as it should, but in the end, apologises were made, councils were created to see that similar events don’t transpire again, and Jean’s family will be taken care of for the rest of their lives.

I wish I could say the same here for those killed by local militia or by police in Brazil.

Still, I find it just incredulous that Jean’s death weighs so much more than the tens of thousands who are killed each and every year in Brazil by police, or ordered dead by politicians and powerful coronels. Mayor Celso Daniel’s brother lives in Portugal fearing for his life that those who killed his brother want to silence him too.

Although Jean Charles name falls so easily from your tongue, I wouldn’t be surprised if you didn’t know anything about this story, Abe. Most I talk to here, don’t. Celso was only a mayor in Brazil, “a nobody”, killed in Brazil because of political affiliations. Why should anyone be concerned about this? /s Certainly a Brazilian electrician working illegally in another country, killed by mistake, deserves more ink in the local press than this “nobody mayor”? /s

I guess we should invent a new “Lei do Jean” for Brazil. If you are Brazilian and think it’s your destiny to be killed, try to make sure it happens in another country so your death actually matters. Because unless you’re a 4 year old dragged under a car by 4 favalados, or tossed from an apartment by your stepmother, you’re death will pass through the news quicker than changes to the bovespa. No one will care, and no one will remember. How can you possibly remember 45,000 murders a year?

“Brazilian are so credulous.”

Nice euphemism. But I’ll stick with “not so bright”

As to the case with the Brazilian in Switzerland, I’ll hang back a bit before commenting as your president and national media should have.

Although if I were a betting man, knowing what I know about European Police (I did live and travel extensively in Europe for years) and Brazilian women (same experience here in Never-Never land) I’d…well, let’s just leave that at that.

By the way for anyone interested, there is a Brazilian media black-out on another important international case involving an American child kidnapped in Brazil. You won’t hear Abe talking about this case.

www.bringseanhome.org

This story is infuriating, but sadly typical of how the powerful in Brazil buy their justice, thumb their noses at the international community, and believe they can do no wrong.

On that note, a happy welcome back and f**k YOU, Abe. You’ve always been the worst that this country has to offer, and you continue to be.
Joao
written by Gringo, February 14, 2009
Gringo, it was great to hear from you after a long time.

But it will be a short-lived visit. It's been a busy busy busy year, and continues to be so. Nice to touch down, and even nicer to leave again. I'm happy to see your refreshing, albeit unique and sane, take on life in Brazil from the perspective of a Brazilian continues to permeate this site.

I'm battling a new laptop and new operating system, and enjoying a new beer, so forgive my typographical discrepancies. See you on the other side. Fui!

Kisses to Abe!
A Brazilian
written by João da Silva, February 15, 2009
Brazilians believe in everything they are told by bureaucrats.

Wholeheartedly agree with you. That is the reason why our Prez has almost 84% approval rating! I don't think you live in Brazil nor read the Brazilian newspapers.

Clearly this swiss swindle was meant to discredit the woman.

I wonder if you know the name and background of the "woman" in question.

BTW, we have diplomatic crises with two countries within a span of 4 weeks. What do you think is the reason?
Gringo
I'm battling a new laptop and new operating system, and enjoying a new beer

Thanks for the message. My questions:

a) What is the new OS you are battling against?
b) Is the new beer "Primus"?

Cheers and have a great weekend. smilies/cheesy.gif
A Brazilian
I forgot to post the following link for you to read:

http://www.estadao.com.br/noti...3890,0.htm

As you know, Estadão is a respectable newspaper in Brasil!!
Gringão Viadão…
written by ..., February 15, 2009
Some things never change…. Case in point, the ½ Gringo (from Canada). He comes back here every often for more whipping from his master, the “A Brazilian.” Just like a whore and her pimp, as she loves to be pay him and have her a.s.s. kicked around. That’s the ½ Gringo’s way!

Gringonorreah, you know you are not been fair about this. Comparing the case in Britain with the case in Switzerland and then back to Brasil, is like comparing oranges to apples and then calling them a pineapple, just don’t work buddy.

The classic British and their genetic racism is known everywhere in the world, no mystery here. In Britain, if you don’t look like they do then you must be a terrorist. Unfortunately Jean Charles Menezes was in the wrong place at the wrong time. The English police screw-up big time and then covered-up their mistake, simple as that. Jean Charles was not a terrorist by any stretch of the imagination.

I think you are victim of the massive dosage of log-cabin fever in the hell of the Canadian frozen prairies. You should get out some more, drop your stained playboy magazines, and smell the roses. It will do you some good even though, your lack of common sense probably will not change much.

Quit with the reality-altering drugs before what’s left of your brain turns to mush and starts oozing out of your nostrils and drips onto your keyboard, you gone-to-Disneyland-in-the-head-and-never-coming-back untreatable mental patient.

Yours truly,

Costinha

PS: Oh Canada… How boring can you be to drive your native son, the Gringão, insane on his membrane!
why cant she get tested independently ?
written by asp, February 15, 2009
if she really was pregnant , why cant she get herself tested by an independent doctor.surly there must be a way to test the residue in her blood that would indicate she was pregnant. there must still be some kind of biological sign of her pregnancy, even after an abortion.

it just seems it would be in her interest to have her own independent investigation. this is turning into international repurcusions and the truth is going to hurt one side or the other
Canucks and Cariocas
written by jon, February 16, 2009
Joao and especially you Costa be really nice to this guy:

Canada's Foreign Minister to visit Brazil:http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090213/wl_canada_afp/canadadiplomacybrazil_20090213174815;_ylt=Akh_4TOFNqC.tyt1D3Lzcgb6SpZ4
Joao/asp
written by Adriana A., February 16, 2009
BTW, we have diplomatic crises with two countries within a span of 4 weeks. What do you think is the reason?

Celso Amorin and Lula conducting diplomacy based on ideology, and not on common sense, respect, intelligence, good judgement and so on. Or I should say Lula's entire administration -Tarso Genro included.

it just seems it would be in her interest to have her own independent investigation. this is turning into international repurcusions and the truth is going to hurt one side or the other

No need to. It seems that is becoming evident she is suffering from some psychiatry or psychological disorder -based on what are already being published, in Brazil and elsewhere. This is not the first time cases like this happened. There was a jewish girl in Germany a couple years ago that came up with a simmilar story, she later apologized. I can't remember where I read that though, sorry.

The problem is not Paula, if she is really sick, she needs all the support she can get. The problem is our diplomacy -one more time- embarrassing us. It remindes me of some people I knew in brazil that did not have any emotional estability, the way they reacted to stressful situations were kicking and screaming. I had to understand them, they did not know any better... but this reaction coming from our diplomacy and the president himself is unacceptable.

Lula And Celso Amorin need to apologized imediately!

I should write apologize, not apologized
Joao
Did you notice my fancy posts? smilies/wink.gif smilies/cheesy.gif
as usual, brazzil.com is behind on this...thier article should come out soon
written by asp, February 16, 2009
i understand your points , adriana. i said she should get an independent test if she really was pregnant. the absence of one only builds the case against her.i read on terra that brazilians living in switzerland want brazilian authorities to apologise.

if she did commit a hoax, the sensationalist part of the media down here ( for sure their have been balanced reports coming out , its not all one sided) and the impulsive political responce is going to look foolish.the political responce to the italian comunist has been a blunder also ,that has a second chance to correct itself this week.i hope they do the right thing , and send that sob back
Jon
written by João da Silva, February 16, 2009
Joao and especially you Costa be really nice to this guy:

Is Larry going to participate in the Rio Carnival after his "official" visit is over? smilies/wink.gif
Adriana A
written by João da Silva, February 16, 2009
Hi Adriana,

Did you notice my fancy posts?

Yes I read them. Not only fancy, but also with substance! Just a few additions to your comments:

Celso Amorin and Lula conducting diplomacy based on ideology, and not on common sense, respect, intelligence, good judgement and so on. Or I should say Lula's entire administration -Tarso Genro included.

Actually I am yet unwilling to include Celso Amorim for the simple reason that I am not sure if Itamaraty is being consulted by the current incumbents in power. As for as I know the Foreign policy based on ideology is being formulated by the "special adviser" for foreign affairs directly responsible to the President´s office. Amorim may have differing opinion, but he being a career diplomat who accepted the invitation to become a member of the cabinet, has to implement the policy set by the Government he serves.

It is highly unlikely! The "Chief Messiah" took the opportunity to appear on the TV network and condemn the aggression suffered by "Companheira Paula" . The message was communicated to the Public at Large. The apologies would be done privately. Here is an interesting link for you to read and understand what I am talking about:

http://www.estadao.com.br/esta...4553,0.php

SVP is happy that Lula has toned down his rhetorics about this incident. The lady Consul General in Zürich has given two options for Paula a) Stay in Switzerland and face the music b) Return to Brasil.

Considering her family background, I think that Paula will go for the second option and return to her homeland as a heroine. With all the media giving her so much attention, who knows, she may even stand as a candidate for some elected post (from PE) in the general elections next year!

The problem is our diplomacy -one more time- embarrassing us.

I wouldn't be surprised to know that even our career diplomats get embarrassed! But they are government employees and can not afford to express their opinion. We shouldn't get embarrassed either because we do not blindly support the actions of our "rulers".

And Adriana, don't be surprised if more diplomatic crises arise in the coming months. I wouldn't bet my money on the Doha round of talks being resumed anytime soon.

Regardless, it was great to hear from you again. Take care and keep safe.

Joao
Hi Joao,
My criticism to Mr. Amorin is that he seems to talk before he thinks, the tone of his speeches are not appropriate sometimes, that's all. I understand though, there are certain times diplomats have to talk tough with other countries diplomats, but do it so with respect, and without insults. Remember last year he said (To the US, regarding comerce and economical policies at the Doha rounds) The US repeats lies, lies, and lies until it becomes true -citing goebles. Ironically enough, the US representative at that time was a jewish woman herself -I forgot her name- and her father is a Holocaust survival.

That kind of thing is what worries me. You know more than I do the Brazilian Diplomacy is, "was?" very respected and admired not so long ago. Words have power, sometimes more than actions. I guess is because words are faster for our brains to perceive and formulate ideas; than actions which take time to be implemented, therefore, we loose our interest. We don't want Lula and his administration to become like Chavez -he won, more 10 years for him- that talks whatever, "Fala pelas ventas".

You're right, no need to be embarrassed. My American friends that know me will say,"s**t happens". I know really amazing Brazilians here, we are nice people, unfortunately, "s**t happens". I will risk saying that -correct me if I'm wrong- Americans have a much better view of Brazilians than Europeans. In any case, this is a different topic, I'm not going into that.

Take care.
It's always nice to be back!
asp
Wait and see asp. Maybe Tarso Genro will have to decide a simmilar case again, but this time the terrorist is not a communist -is another Italian that has been living in Brazil, married to a Brazilian and have kids with her. The difference between him and Battisti is that he was a terrorist from the right, neo-fascist. Let's see if Tarso -in case he'll have to give the final word again- will put ideologies aside, and use the same "criteria" he used to Battisti. But as we could see in the case of the Cubans, we can't guarantee fairness.http://www.terra.com.br/istoe/edicoes/2048/artigo125297-1.htm
better link
adriana,nice link ,send them both back !!!
written by asp, February 16, 2009
isnt that funny...

joao, maybe she could be on bbb

lets take a culture break, joao, here is the group im going to see saturday,tell your freinds to get to angeloni beira mar at 7:30, its free:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir2mDx...annel_page
asp
written by João da Silva, February 17, 2009
lets take a culture break, joao, here is the group im going to see saturday,tell your freinds to get to angeloni beira mar at 7:30, its free:

Sorry for the delay in posting. This week has been a busy one, because the next week is a short one. It is a interesting you video clip. Although I have spread the word about this event among my friends before, I am sending forwarding this clip to a dear friend of mine with a request to spread the news to all the contacts in her mailing list.Shall try to drop by too.

Will be in touch, if I need more info.
cool , joao, i think they will enjoy it , and, its free
written by asp, February 17, 2009
ive got to gush and babble a little here...among a lot of political,social and economical criticisms of brazil going on in this forum, lets shine a light for a second on some of the incredible things going on now.

im really happy to see a lot of net work tv exposure this year, of passistas on various shows. they had the hulke contest , then , youd change the channal and rodrigo fara had his contest on his show.and snippets all the time on the news. its not enough, it should be much more and extended times not just 20 seconds. but, you peice it all together and see some live events and the real genius and high leval dancing and the sensuality of the passistas comes through. for sure there is the popozudo , malhada element the tv is going for,but, you can start seeing who the great dancers are and the ones that come from the comunity where samba is practiced year round.

because for me, its high art, as high art as any where in the world in terms of complexity of the dance, the power of the rythm it is atached to,and the force and history of that art.you see these good passistas dancing and you see the history of where it came from and how it evolved , and , its deeply moving. the ballet is deep and moving also and they have sensuality and even nudity in modern ballet. if people want to concentrate only on that they are missing 75 percent of the rest. same with passistas. you can focus only on the sexual and miss so much of the incredible part all put together.

the best tv demonstration came on today, for 20 minutes on the maria braga show. she brought on about 12 passistas and about 15 drummers,no melodies to distract, or harmonie to imply pagode or bossa or chorinho, just pure drums and dance, and, proceeded to just demonstrate how in very rare times ,how powerful tv can be when it wants to. the syncranization of the drummers was nothing short of awesome, as complex as any classical orchestra, and the dancers just demonstrated why they are on the leval of any dance company in the world

ive seen quick reports of silencio of the tambors in recife , frevo in recife and axe in bahia and this incredible picture that is missed year around until carnival starts evolving on the tube and in the streets and it is mind blowing and gives a lot of inspiration

florianopolis starts celibrating its passistas a couple of weeks now. i love rainha de carnival , i used to see mazinho do trombone year after year play for it. and , ive seen a couple of rainhas ( they use differant passistas depending on who is available ) in this group that will be performing at angelonies

i dont think your freinds will be disapointed. its free, has elements of brazilian culture with other culture as well . i dont like to sit on benches all night for watching the disfiles, or , wander the streets late at night looking for action ( i have but i dont want to now) .a little hour hit like this with some passistas and other referances to axe and mangue beat is perfect for me.....
asp
written by João da Silva, February 18, 2009
i dont think your freinds will be disapointed. its free, has elements of brazilian culture with other culture as well

I don't think that they would be either. But almost all my pals have traveled overseas .So I suggest you include some songs of Dean Martin, Tony Bennett, Beatles, etc; The Southerners appreciate the blend of all kinds of music.If you don't have the songs, I can e-mail them.

The next time, this show is not going to be free!!

You better rehearse for Friday, while I am meditating. smilies/cheesy.gif
ha , dont know if they do standars.......meanwhile, bad news for the girl in switzerland...
written by asp, February 18, 2009
i just read on terra that she sent ultra sound pictures to her freinds , and, they were proven to be taken off the internet....

to top it off, one of her "freinds" said she was prone to pranks...

these false ultra sound pictures dont bode well at all for her case...
the swizz authorities did a good job , the girl confessed it was a farce
written by asp, February 19, 2009
well,there is the truth.its hard to imagine what was going through her mind. she caused a lot of bad feeling on both sides.instead of going to jail, they ought to make her do an international news conferance and profusly apologize for all the confusion she caused. the administration was trying to help her, her farce has made it look bad...
written by João da Silva, February 19, 2009
the swizz authorities did a good job , the girl confessed it was a farce

Not only that. They seem to be treating her case compassionately. Also I liked the appeal of their President not to let this isolated incident to spoil the good relationship between Switzerland and Brasil according to the article below:

http://www.estadao.com.br/inte...6759,0.htm

Even our friend Ch.c obeyed his President Hanz Merz and has not made any inflammatory comments. smilies/wink.gif smilies/cheesy.gif smilies/grin.gif
HOAX CRIMES
written by CiCi, February 19, 2009
Jews, blacks do this often, pretend to be victims due to "hate crimes"
Then the police find out they do it to themselves.

Beatings of Whites by others are always LOVE CRIMES, not hate.
what kind of croc is that ?
written by asp, February 19, 2009
you want to go into the histroy in the usa of white terrorism and hate crimes against african americans? didnt you see all those photos of black people hanging from trees with the dirt ugliest of white bulls**t faces shucking and grinning like they were at a barbeque?

or, are you one of these idiots that wants to down play the holocaust ? get away from me ...

i mean it happens, fraud with race crimes, but, the reality the other way is much greater

which is the tragedy of this woman. she has set back awareness of ethnic discrimination in europe a lot. who will suffer the most is brazilians in switzerland . their word on these matters will not have the same credibility after this, and, it just fuels anti foreiner feelings in those countries
Sao Paulo comment
written by Bob U, February 20, 2009
My last visit to Sao Paulo was in May, 2008. I previously had stayed in the Jardins district with no problems and had even walked to local shopping centers during daytime and had no incidents. This last visit though was after the dollar had fallen to 1.9 reais to the dollar and I had to stay in Centro. Even though the crowd at the hotel was fine, the rest of the environment completely changed. A cab driver grossly overcharged me and took me on a tour of city until we got too close to a favela near the Morumbi shopping center at which point I jumped out of the slowly moving cab and ran to a hotel in the distance to get other transportion. As I left the cab I threw the small reais bills outside on the ground so he wouldn't follow me.

In Centro there were police and ambulance sirens all night long and even a bar across the street with music blaring so loud that I couldn't sleep on the 8th floor.

After two weeks of this I didn't see any reason to continue staying in Sao Paulo and left for Rio. In Rio I had a few problems, but nothing big, and even walking at night along Avenida Alantica in Copacabana seemed safe compared to Sao Paulo, although Brazilians I met told me not to do this.

NY ,LA, and London on the whole seem much safer than Sao Paulo, even considering the worse areas of each major city.

I forgot to mention getting robbed by a 15 yr old girl which seemed just par for the course, not nearly as scary as being taken down a road leading to a favela.

And I've been to Mexico City multiple times without incident, including once when it was raining and I slipped on the pavement stones and my breifcase went flying and someone retrieved my breifcase and helped me get up.

This is not in any way to say you can't get robbed or killed in any of these cities, nor to say that the majority of Brazilians I met in Sao Paulo were not quite helpful and friendly.

I decided after this to stick to smaller cities and preferrably towns along the coast and stay in apartt-hotels and pousadas for future visits.
yeah , lets get back to the thread subject
written by asp, February 20, 2009
i dont know, i mean, sao paulo just seems dificult to me...i have done business there in the city about three times, all in pinerios . and, of course , i have to admit, there was a really well stocked super market near the hotel, and , an incredible cd ,electronics store near by ,fnac . i even went dancing down the street from the hotel, i wish i could remember the name, but, i was dancing samba and salsa to a live band and there were some nice dancing women there ,but,semi cold...

but, it doesnt pull me in...after years in big north east cities like new york , chicago , about 6 years in rio , big city trafic and smells and lines and cement (not to mention the violence) just kind of dont feel good to me now , and , sao paulo has all those things in a big way

i respect anyone who loves sao paulo, i understand it,but, if i had ot pick a big city in brazil, it would be rio , with recife second (its got a million people so maybe it might not qualify as a big city)
Jon
written by João da Silva, February 20, 2009
What are BHO and Harpy up to ? You Canucks must be happy that the new POTUS visited your country first. smilies/cheesy.gif
Did you get to meet him?
Obama in Ottawa
written by JON, February 20, 2009
He waved, I blushed smilies/cheesy.gif smilies/cheesy.gif

Harpy was smitten and offered our new friend a lifetime supply of maple sryup, hockey pucks, old RUSH records and of course.......OIL SANDS smilies/grin.gif smilies/grin.gif smilies/cheesy.gif smilies/cheesy.gif
written by João da Silva, February 20, 2009
Harpy was smitten and offered our new friend a lifetime supply of maple sryup, hockey pucks, old RUSH records and of course.......OIL SANDS

Finally, a permanent peace treaty was signed between two warring nations. smilies/cheesy.gif
speaking of sao paulo, they just did the first night of their disfile
written by asp, February 21, 2009
it is carnival

i saw some interesting facts about carnival in sao paulo. up till the early 60's, it was mostly marchas

then they started really looking to rio for how to do it,which is why rio is always the real beacon of samba.

but, i caught the early morning last school and i am always amazed how many incredible beautiful black women there are that never get any recognition in the media except at carnival. there is this incredible demonstratiion anywhere you see carnival in brazil with incredibly gorgeous afro brazilian women doing these incredible dances that never get showm the rest of the year, like coco, maracatu, sambao, axe,carimbao etc
asp
written by João da Silva, February 22, 2009
but, i caught the early morning last school and i am always amazed how many incredible beautiful black women there are that never get any recognition in the media except at carnival. there is this incredible demonstratiion anywhere you see carnival in brazil with incredibly gorgeous afro brazilian women doing these incredible dances that never get showm the rest of the year, like coco, maracatu, sambao, axe,carimbao etc

I don't know, whether you are in Rio or SP. BUT...BUT..... you missed the fantastic show you recommended for me at Angeloni tonight. It was great, man. I was looking forward to meeting you, but you were not there. The kid has great voice and the Afro Brazilian lady dancer has a rhythm not many non Brazilians can copy. I saw a couple of elderly ladies in their late 70´s enjoying the show and probably they were reminiscing their youthful days! I was also surprised to hear the kid singing in English!!

Thanks for recommending me to attend the event and make sure you are present the next time. If you know them personally, please do convey my congrats to them.

joao, i looked all over for you and couldnt find you !!
written by asp, February 22, 2009
yeah,i meant i saw sao paolo on tv...

man , too bad i missed you.

that group really does something special for me everytime i see them !!

god, this is brazil, culture is erupting all over now !! reports about galo de madrugada in recife, salvador exploding , sao paulo wrapping its desfiles up and rio in the dock...gives me a lot of inspiration.....

ill catch you next time , joao, sorry i missed you
Sao Paulo was the only place (in Brazil) for me (during my youth) - Now perhaps Curitiba might be the only city for me...
written by Augustus, February 23, 2009
For those who DETEST and CANNOT stand Hot Weather..
For those who are NOT in Love with Beaches (and the hot sand on the skin)...
For those who are vain and do not have a hot body or youth...
For those who cannot stand poverty and disturbing misery everywhere you look (in the midst of so much wealth)..
For those who fear stray bullets, rampant crime...
AND, MOST IMPORTANTLY....
FOR THOSE WHO NEVER COULD STAND THE HORRORS OF BRAZILIAN CARNIVAL... WHO NEVER CARED ABOUT SAMBA....
RIO DE JANEIRO (despite of all the glories - chanted by those who love beach on the heat during carnival)
is NOT the place!!!!!
I've never liked those things, and even after SEVERAL SEVERAL YEARS after I left them behind, just the sheer mentioninig of any of them (like those who appear to be showing off being in Rio during carnival) makes my stomach turn...
Only Sao Paulo appealed to me when I was young and Loved the night clubs... Now it appears Sao Paulo is also getting increasingly dangerous (just like Rio - some claim it got even worse).
As such, I suppose my new favorite place is CURITIBA.... where there is NO HEAT, NO BEACH, NO DANGER, and LESS misery...
to each his own , augustus
written by asp, February 23, 2009
there is nothing wrong with people having differant opinions as long as they respect the others point of veiw...

im one of the people who doesnt get sao paulo , but, i understand the people who do...if i had big business and life changing money to be made there, i might change my opinion about it

curitiba is a good city but hard airport to fly into and out of...something about the wind as it comes into the landing...and takeoff
asp
written by João da Silva, February 23, 2009

curitiba is a good city but hard airport to fly into and out of...something about the wind as it comes into the landing...and takeoff

Are you saying that the Curitibanos like to break the wind while the planes are landing or taking off? smilies/wink.gif
ha , joao, i think that explains it....
written by asp, February 24, 2009
....ha ha
Curitibanos do what?
written by Augustus, February 24, 2009
I think they are way to civilized to do that?
Since Curitiba is just "north" of your area, I suppose there must be a on-going "local joke" about how people on each side of the "state border" feel about one another
Augustus
written by João da Silva, February 24, 2009
Since Curitiba is just "north" of your area, I suppose there must be a on-going "local joke" about how people on each side of the "state border" feel about one another

No Milord, I was paying tributes to them and trying to explain to ASP about the aerodynamic principles and the important role played by the Curitibanos in air traffic control. I like that city and have some nice friends there.
JOAO - What is happening to this blog?
Considering the latest type of individuals, using other people's alias and indiscrimate attacks, I hope the "authorities" here DO establish some sort of "censorship" after all!!!
OOOOOps (a good old American expression) I suppose I may be growing increasingly right-wing.... LOL
I cannot help it... I long for ORDER (and a tincy bit of "control") smilies/grin.gif
Augustus
Considering the latest type of individuals, using other people's alias and indiscrimate attacks,

It has become a nuisance and for the past 3 weeks or so.Will write more later.
under attack at mag
they seem to be at me now...
asp
Jolly good comments, old chap. smilies/grin.gif
Vô Botá a Gringalhada pra Sambá…
written by Costinha, February 25, 2009
What the F…. This Demented Double Dotter needs some straightening, doesn’t he?

Dear Ms. D-Cube:

What is all this bashing Brasil, invading our country etc? Come on down, we will gladly give a new hemorrhoid! I bet you get perfect hemorrhoids since you are the perfect a.s.s.hole, whining like a whine chime, slime.

The Milwaukee police are looking for you. They took an inventory of Jeffrey Dahmer's apartment and they were short one a.s.s.hole.

You should be boiled in Shelly’s menstruation blood, freaking spit backwash. Here is a useful tip: Eat 2lbs of spicy Indian curry and then fart your head back out of you’re a.s.s.

Questions?

God Mess America

PS: And while I am at it… I heard that Bobão has been barking lately. Did that convicted child mole.ster escape from jail??? Watch Out People… Gather your children, the pedophile maybe in a town near you. I just wish he would babysit Shelly’s kids!
written by João da Silva, February 25, 2009
What the F…. This Demented Double Dotter needs some straightening, doesn’t he?

Yes Costa. He seems to have targeted our good buddy Lord Augustus.Ch.c seems to be speechless. smilies/cheesy.gif
What you have here is… Good Ol’ Fashion American Diplomacy
written by ..., February 26, 2009
Loud, obnoxious, stupid, ignorant, illiterate, insensitive, uncultured, disliked and foremost, american, portrayed here by our friend Double-Dot.

Yes, Double-Dot embodies all the attributes of the ugly american, despised everywhere they go on this planet. I don’t like them, you don’t like them, nobody likes them! They represent blind greed, violent means and inhuman methods.

Their flag is burned often, their coward soldiers kill unpunished, their government cowardly oppresses the poor and they will not stop short of anything. That’s the american stereotype. That’s the american way!

But fear not, because that ship is sinking and sinking fast, just sit back and watch the rats drown themselves. Double-Dot just remind us of its ugly presence among us.

God Mess Amerika.

Costinha
ALERT TO ALL BLOGGERS AGAINST EXTREME RIGHT WING INFILTRATION ==>> HIS MOST COMMON ALIAS = "DOUBLE DOT"
written by Augustus, February 26, 2009
Several bloggers in Brazzil.com have recently been repeatedly afflicted and abused by a certain element whose most comment alias is Double.Dot. He seems to be particularly engaged into antagonizing non-Americans and particularly those of use who reside in the United States.

After some originally misplaced theories, suggested by various regular contributors to this blog, I decided to conduct some additional research, and recently came across a very serious and dangerous threat to the United States of America, since the election of Mr. Obama. It consists of an Extreme Faction of the hideous KKK whose recent alliance with other Racist Militant elements in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and other southern/southwestern states have declared war against all foreigners, particularly those of Jewish, Latin American, and African background. They are compose of mostly very low class, uneducated WHITE TRASH, whose sole mystical way to elevate themselves of their sordid low-birth condition, is to base a fictitious “superiority” based upon race.

Well, I think all of us should make an effort to bring this dangerous elements to the attention NOT ONLY of this blog’s management, BUT ALSO to various US agencies which monitor the activity of HATE GROUPS in America, of which this LOWLY undesirable element, recently know as Double- Dot is unquestioningly either a member or a sympathizer (if not an outright infiltrator) who acts on this horrific, hateful Extremist Group’s behalf on blogs managed in the USA by non-Americans of certain background. Given this blog’s title “Brazzil.com” I fear it became an obvious target.

It disgusts me having even spent a second of my time arguing with such Trash of incalculable malice, who FAILS to recognize that we are all born ALIKE as Human Beings (but STOP being alike from the moment of birth onwards, as they are inculcated Hatred by their uneducated parents and families who teach them the glories or White Race superiority INSTEAD of Moliere; sabotage instead of calculus, malice instead of Greek Philosophy!

SWIFT ACTION IS REQUIRED, I URGE EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU…

Augustus

No Banana Talk Here…
Dear Double-Dot:

I feel a trace of your jealousy towards your superiors, I mean, Augustus. Don’t hate the guy because he outperformed you in your own native country, as you said. Yes, technically you could be President and he cannot. However, between you and me, we know that will never happen, even in your wettest dreams.

And don’t use the race-card to blame others for your own miserable failures, thinking that somehow you are better then others; unless of course, you are talking “Chewing Tobacco Spitting Contest,” I’m sure you would do well in that department.

I think your frustrations germinate from your lack of education and your own inability to compete in this global economy?

Try to learn English well before attempting other languages, develop some people skills (remember KKK philosophy will not work here), or basic wholesome manners (I don’t mean square dancing either). That way, in 10 years, you could become McDonald’s Employee of the Month!

Consider getting your GED and then, maybe a technical school for things like, office management (filling & phone skills), or something like sanitary engineering and the like. Double-Dot… make your mama proud!

Dear Sir Augustus:

You need to give that poor guy a break… The bank is repossessing his re-painted 1967 Chevy Pickup, the mortgage company is foreclosing on his Double-Wide trailer, the cops are after him for DUI, wife beating and child pornography, his unemployment checks ran out, and he has no money to buy cheap beer. Have mercy on that good old boy!

God Bless and Save Brasil… And God Mess and Slave Amerika,

Costinha

PS: Chronicle Herpes Carrier (CHC), Up Yours!
It’s All One Big Family…
I will sit at the head of the table as the family chief, then we have ASP, Bruno, Ana and others as siblings, uncles, aunts, cousins and the like.

CHC will be the family pet and since he is flea infested, he will sleep outside.

Augustus will be the local sheriff while João the city mayor.

We will make Ric the local gringo for us to pick on, as Clark will be the local priest who spends a lot of time at his new hobby, pornography.

Shelly will be the town’s only prostitute, while Bobão will play the role of the town’s pedophile babysitter.

Florist A$$ Brown will be the High School principal, selling dope to students during lunch break, to augment his salary.

Double-Dot will make the “10 Most Wanted” list as the regional bank robber, while Triple-Dot will be his inbred (both of his mom & dad are brother and sister) half-brother.

Please feel free to add to the list or script for this new novela.

God Mess Amerika

Costinha
CONTINUING COSTINHA'S NOVELA (Transcribed from BRAZZIL.MAG)
written by Augustus, February 27, 2009
Transcribing from BRAZZIL.MAG
CHAPTER-2
From Augustus – Sheriff’s office:
“Set up a committee of surveillance
then a Bureau of Investigation...
Issuing ID cards to everyone...
and required that everyone inform when leave town- IN fact let's inpose an internal passport program.
LOL LOL
SECURITY, ORDER, AND MONITORING FOR PEACE”

CHAPTER-3
joao, the mayor....has a nice ring to it....
written by asp, February 26, 2009
ill look forward to your term in office....

CHAPTER-4
Next in order - Sherriffs Office
Border Control
Militia
Citizenship test (pverridden & automatically granted to ASP naturally )
Residency rights (under Costa surveillance) to Ric
Now a vote required: Death Penalty??? I suppose that falls under Joao's territory
What about "coerive inquiry of prisoners....????? Hummm...

CHAPTER-5
Actually Joao should be a Prime Minister....
Why not up the ante and make it a country? LOL
Kind of a fun thing...
all right augustus, the cia and police federal are after me....
written by asp, February 28, 2009
i know you going to treat me like a cuban boxer in miami....
Death Penalty???
written by ..., February 28, 2009
Now you are talking….

What Do You Get … When you Rope-Hang “Double Dot” on a nearby tree, allowing a couple of days to sun dry the carcass??? Beef Jerky

Hehehehe

Costinha
written by João da Silva, February 28, 2009
What Do You Get … When you Rope-Hang “Double Dot” on a nearby tree, allowing a couple of days to sun dry the carcass???

As the newly appointed Mayor, I forbid you to do it. We don't want dirty blood on our hands, do we ? Instead I suggest this "Double-Dot" be caught and tried at the Hague according to the Geneva conventions (which will be rewritten by Ch.c) and hanged at a public square in Geneva on a cold morning. Any e-mail messages protesting against this "minor" incident will be forwarded to Ch.c! It is up to him to reply or not!!!
No "Coercive Inquiry" prior to "Dispatch"???
written by Augustus, March 01, 2009
The Special Service Office for Information & Inquiries should have the Opportunity to "extract" necessary information from the "nearly" convicted prior to their shipment to Genf... (Geneve if you insist on the French name)

I was under the impression that the SSII would have jurisdiction when Dangerous "Suspects" (which I call nearly convicted) are arrested... My SSII agents are looking forward to doing their job... smilies/grin.gif

In fact, I was thinking about locating some former SNI "field researchers" to further train SSII agents

What do you thing Joao? smilies/cool.gif
Costinha should be the Lead Agent
Since Costinha is the Head of such a long family, he should "supplement" his income as the Lead SSII Agent. smilies/grin.gif
The City-State of Cybernalia /// a post for Dnb
What about that City of our Luxembourg "size" Cyber Nation?
Name: Cybernalia
Capital: Cyberville
Currency: Well, I motion that we bring back to live some of the former European Currencies, replaced by the Euro - What about the "good old" DEUTSCH MARK????? smilies/cheesy.gif smilies/cheesy.gif smilies/wink.gif
By the way
Nobody has given Dnb a job... I GOT IT = Minister of Eclesyastic Affairs as well as Archbishop of the Church of the Eternally Fearful for Biblical End of Days.... He would have a FIELD DAY in that role... (as long as he does not expect me to attend ANY of his Sermons... LOL

This is fun...
Augustus
written by João da Silva, March 01, 2009
What do you thing Joao?

It sounds great, old chap. I also liked the idea of making Dnb the Archbishop. You must be re-reading Pillar of earth and World Without End. smilies/cheesy.gif smilies/grin.gif

Ch.c is alive and well in the other thread. smilies/wink.gif
joao - interesting for mentioning
I just recalled that I had order the "audio" book (several dvd's) for Pillars...
An interesting suggestion for next weekend...
I'm glad Ch.c is well... In this case he is likely to have resumed spreading all his "love & Affection for Brazil in his good old fashion ways... Making new friends at each entry... LOL
written by Me, March 02, 2009
As an alternate role, Costinha seems well suited for manager in charge of running the sewage system.
Ouch…
written by ..., March 02, 2009
Me, Myself & I…. I will play the role if you play the role of the floating turd!

Your Costa
Costinha
written by Augustus, March 03, 2009
do not forget that you are ALSO the lead Interrogator of the SSII (Special Service Office of Investigations & Inquiries

smilies/wink.gif
written by Tathiana B Hall, March 03, 2009
The first thing that I have to say to you is that if you are this unhappy about how things work in Brazil and Sao Paulo I strongly recommend that you leave and go back to Scotland. Oh but wait.... things over there actually work less than they do in Brazil, don't they?!

In the entirity of the UK you cannot relly on public transport. The trains are always packed to the absolute most, to the point that you literaly cannot move and to top it up you pay through the nose to use an old, smelly and often times delayed service. The bus system is a joke, people have actually been killed on London Metro buses and no one did anything! And the underground... I really shouldn't go there. People are packed into those trains like sardines. That is, when they are working...

Brazil bashing has been an expat hobbie for a very long time, yet, most expats that live in Brazil never leave... Very funny that!

As a person who has lived in Sao Paulo, Luxembourg, London and Auckland I can safely say, I prefer Sao Paulo to any of the others any day of the year.

Fact of the matter is. Sao Paulo is MASSIVE! It offers people all sorts of opportunities. Not to mention that Sao Paulo is one of the few cities of her proportions that really caters for all nationalities that live there. The gastronomic scene is SP allows people to eat Japanese cuisine for lunch and Lebanese for dinner... tell me where else in the world you get that?! You have parks, museums, cinemas, theatres all over the place, for all tastes and most immportant for all pockets!

As for recommending visitors to double the amount of time to get from point A to point B. That is very wise, it will gve them the opportunity to see how much culture there is within just the one city. Visitors aren't Paulistas and don't know how to get around. The fact of the matter is, like anywhere you have to get lost to find yourself. You have to learn how the system works and perhaps, just perhaps, be open minded about what the new country has to offer.

It astounds me that a lot of expats still haven't learnt the golden rule of living abroad. WHEN IN ROME DO AS THE ROMANS DO. That will get so you far. Be humble, ask the locals, braziliand are more than willing to help, if they see that you are in fact really trying.

And one last thing, since as this online magazine is actually here to INFORM, "dispachante" in Brazil is a broker. He is the guy who knows which forms are required for whatever it is that you want. He is also the guy who stands in line to get it delivered and who deals with all the niggly, unwanting problems of any legal system. Abroad we call them Immigration Experts and abroad, they charge you a lot of money to deal with your problems.

Seriously, no one should need a taxy cab to go to Lapa in Sao Paulo as there are trains, metro and many buses that go there and it will be a lot cheaper! smilies/smiley.gif
written by .., March 03, 2009
As a person who has lived in Sao Paulo, Luxembourg, London and Auckland I can safely say, I prefer Sao Paulo to any of the others any day of the year.

Holy s**t. You must be Marta Suplicy smilies/wink.gif.Or from the English Royal family.

Pretty awesome to live in Luxembourg, London, Auckland, etc; Have you ever lived in Hong Kong or Bangkok? They also offer plenty of "opportunities", depending on what you are looking for. smilies/wink.gif
In agreement with Tathiana B Hall
written by Augustus, March 03, 2009
As a Carioca/New Yorker who lived in Rio, New York, Sao Paulo, Paris and Frankfurt, except for the traffic jams (which I fear is unavoidable, especially after heavy rains), Sao Paulo is indeed the most pleasant metropolis in which I had the pleasure to live...
Augustus (Paulistano honorario) smilies/cheesy.gif
In response to ...
written by Tathiana B Hall, March 04, 2009
Nope not Marta Suplicy or Royal Family! And no I haven't lived in Hong Kong or Bangkok; I think that the HR scene there isn't all that developed yet. I just have travelled a lot and find this whole idea of Brazil bashing ridiculous and pointless. Complaining without offering a reasonable solution gets us nowhere.

Every single country that I have been to (and those are many) there are good and bad things, and I think that in the end wherever you go there will be good and bad things. So for Christ's sakes(for those who believe in him!) let's be realistic!

No one likes to be stuck on trafic jams... but they happen in every single metropolis in the world...

Sao Paulo is one of those wonderous places in the world where if you are open minded you can have it all. Country side living, beaches, amusement parks, museums, more culture than you could possibly absorb in a life time and everything else you may want... Yes, there are bad things, but for most Paulistanos, the good out weighs the bad and that is what matters.

Besides, it isn't as if the Brazilian government is begging foreigners to go over and work to improve the country, or because there isn't suficient skilled labour there. Fact of the matter is that Brazil exports skilled labour to other countries, such as New Zealand. Expats who live in Brazil do so by choice.

Perhaps because I have travelled so much I believe that no one has a steel ball around their ankles and that if you are unhappy, by all means, go and look for a place where you can be happier! smilies/smiley.gif
Tathiana B Hall... You Haven't Seen Ms. Shelly!
written by ..., March 04, 2009
That one really nauseates me. she is Brasilian by birth but now, living in the US, she took the personality of Ronald Reagan...

I agree with you 100%, too many here put Brasil down but offer no practical solution to the immensity our problems!

I say… If you can’t stand the heat, then get out of the kitchen (actually an old American saying!).

You go girl…

Costinha
not liking sao paulo doesnt mean a person doesnt love brazil
written by asp, March 04, 2009
i would love to feel better about sao paulo.there is a lot of business there.chaulk it up to too many years in places like new york and chicago.unless it is new york ( because it is so compact and so much energy in its space), i need a city with a beach life(trying to get to the beaches on the sao paulo coast is not my idea of a beach city).i much prefer rio, or , recife ,even. some of the major cultural movements in brazilian music come out of rio. the evolution of samba ( it comes from the samba da rodas from bahia but the evolution is definitly in rio, like jazz in new york even though it was invented in new orleans), chorinho, bossa nova .sau paulo has a huge amount of great technical musicians but the soul is in rio. they dont play samba in sao paulo like in rio.they dont come up with those kind of cultual advancments in sao paulo...they are great at techno electronic beats at the clubs, though

variety of restaurants ? come on , there has to be another reason why i want to endure the cement and asphalt and lines lines lines...rio has those problems, but , you go take a walk next to the beach and you really cool out, same with recife in boa viagem..

i really wish i could get excited about sao paulo , but,i feel about it like i feel about chicago , which is, only if there is business would i go there
Costinha - Tathiana means well!
written by Augustus, March 04, 2009
Costinha - I know you cannot help yourself teasing the ladies. smilies/wink.gif
Yet, I fully appreciate what Tathiana is trying to accomplish here. Clearly she is a well educated Paulistana who had experience in other world cities, something which I can personally relate and appreciate. smilies/cool.gif

Interestingly, Tathiana paid attention to your criticism and ignored my concurring, supportive message smilies/sad.gif
ASP - unfortunately we disagree on that point :)
ASP, ESTEEMED FRIEND
Clearly we should have been switched at the time of birth
As a Carioca, I have never really appreciated beach life (except during my adolescence - as already discussed). I find beach life exceedingly boring, and really dislike tropical (or even sub tropical places).
This has nothing to do with Brazil (as a country) for I do love my native country, and would have not issues living there again, provided it were Sao Paulo, Curitiba or Perhaps Porto Alegre (which I have never visited).
Please note that I DETEST LOS ANGELES, and CANNOT STAND MIAMI, whereas I love London, New York and Chicago (and kind of tolerate Philadelphia & Boston).

Clearly it's a matter of taste. I'm glad you managed to relocate to coastal Southern Brazil and continue having access to your beloved Bahia smilies/smiley.gif

i hear you , augustus
i like having differance of preferances. i beleive firmly that we each have individual feelings about places and cities that we all personaly intuitivly know if they are good for us or not. i beleive very much in those instints

my beach fascination comes from growing up in chicago with some very horrible winters. ive seen enough snow to never have to see it again...

actualy , im feeling more recife than salvador. i do have very personal contacts there and will always be tied to it and love the culture, but, ive got those instincts about salvador that dont feel wonderful
ASP... Interesting (varioius comments - snow vs. hot beaches /// exception for Olinda....
Interesting you mentioned "snow"
I grew up LONGING FOR IT
I was fascinated by the entire concepted and looked forward to it.
Although I had been to Portugal as a child (and I vaguely recall that experience, I know it hardly ever snows there - at least not in Lisbon). As such, I saw snow for the first time when I was 19 years old in New York City, at Central Park! I will never forget the experience. In those days (when I was only a visitor) I was staying on 16th Street & 3rd Avenue (and the Heavy looking clouds suggested SNOW - to my local friends). So we took the subway, at which time the flurries had already started (if I recall correctly it was the B train) and we existed on a station on Central park (by 5th avenue) and the snow was falling and sticking on the ground.... It was a MARVELOUS experience I shall never forget, for as long as I live! Even today (we had nearly 1 foot of snow Sunday / Monday) and I was stuck at the window (I worked from home on that day) - I still love it! (interestingly I hardly ever go to central park nowadays... I remain below 34th street and west of 5th avenue - I would get nose-bleeds otherwise - lol lol lol smilies/grin.gif smilies/cool.gif (I hate the East side or the crowds of Midtown)

When I look at a beach scene... yeh... it's NICE... BUT SO WHAT
What I recall the most is having to run on the sand due to the extreme heat hitting my foot, and getting all dirty all the time, with people coming over to ask for cigarettes...
NO COMPARISSON
By the way, I did fall in love with OLINDA... That's a magical place! Much better than Recife. I hope they still control automomibile access to local residents (as it used to be several years ago)...
haha , augustus, we have exact convex point of veiws...
"west of fifth ave..." chelsie area , right? i used to do a lot of work in that area. nice neighborhood...or maybe you are in that building nelson motta stayed at ( just a wild kick).maybe you know maria duha or athos contigo , some good brazilian freinds i have in new york.

that is funny your longing for snow. i remember the straw that broke my back in chicago was a season that snow started in oct and went until april. snow on the ground all that time. i remember a week in january with temperaturs 20 below 0 or more, two feet on the ground and me looking out the window on the day of a road business trip with the snow BLOWING UPSIDE DOWN and we nearly tipped over in an accident on the highway to the business appointment which we were late to and lost the job because of it.....awwwwwww

like you with snow, i dont get tired of the beach life, had a great one today...wow you were grooving on your snow in new york and im loving my beach days down here

olinda is wonderful...great marakatu groups are there like nacao pernambuco. lots of musicians and artists...good call, augustus
ASP
Interesting... I know who Nelso Motta is because he was popular on Brazilian TV when I was a Kid... I have never seen him in NYC.... Then again, EVEN in my golden days, I never knew many other Brazilians (and the ones I did meet were BAD TO THE BONE!!!!!!! - lol lol lol - so bad that they were kind of OK)

Since you know JOAO I will pass on info to him, which should NOT be entered here - LOL LOL LOL
Jupiter forbid smilies/cheesy.gif
Augustus
written by João da Silva, March 04, 2009
Since you know JOAO I will pass on info to him, which should NOT be entered here - LOL LOL LOL
Jupiter forbid

Rest assured that this highly confidential info will be passed on to ASP and he will be required to answer the quiz.If he flunks the test, he will be deported back to U.S.of A smilies/grin.gif. Just give me time to get rid of the anesthetics in my gum. smilies/cry.gif
RECENT EVENTS... Disturbing events in Pakistan agains inocent cricket players from Sriklanka in Lahore...YET ANOTHER ISLAMIC CRIME!!!
written by Augustus, March 05, 2009
This despicable event further CONFIRMS the IMMENSE hatred of Islamic groups towards non-moslems and the type of crimes they are capable of commiting... ISLAM IS THE ENEMY OF CIVILIZATION!!!
Sri Lankan cricket fans are yet to recover from the shock and disbelief that their national team was attacked by heavily armed men in the Pakistani city of Lahore.

CCTV 'shows Lahore gunmen escape' ==> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7924550.stm

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
The only acceptable position of non-Muslims to Muslims is subjugation under Islamic rule:
Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued. (9:29 Jizya is the money that non-Muslims must pay to their Muslim overlords in a pure Islamic state.)
A common criticism of many Muslims is that they often behave arrogantly toward others. Now you know why.
Recent conclusions... subsequent to further reflection upon the Middle Eastern impasse
written by Augustus, March 06, 2009
In view of the obvious fact that the manacles of mythological creeds (also known-as “Religions”) lie upon as well as underneath the very crux of the conflict between Jewish and Islamic elements (particularly the Orthodox/Fundamentalist majority thereof) in the Middle East, I conjecture whether the actual solution for this ugly, unsolvable, never-ending matter might depend upon the imposition of totalitarian Marxist-Leninist states upon the main politico-military regional powers of the region – Israel, Palestine, Egypt, Jordan & Iran, Iraq & Saudi Arabia. Because religion would be banned and rigorously observed by a network of official and unofficial state agents acting on behalf and under direct guidance of the Central Committee (if not the Politburo) of each of these Nations’ Communist Party, there would be no time, effort or open channels available to permit this unfathomable struggle to continue…

With this drastic solution, not only hostilities would unavoidably cease immediately on behalf of brotherly Socialist solidarity, but also send the hardliners of each religious faction underground, where they would be undoubtedly compelled to unite against a common opponent and thereby establishing understanding, tolerance and respect for one-another’s point of view… Just food for thought from a well-intended individual who is NOT an adherent of Marxist-Leninist philosophy - quite the contrary (I support Parliamentary Monarchies). This recent “approach” simply contemplates the possibility that providing such a bitter strong medication to the infected nations might be precisely what the “Doctor” might recommend to treat such distasteful quagmire.
Howzzat?
written by Ric, March 07, 2009
You're nuts.
Mayhem Amen Lord Underling of the Common Order
written by Simpleton, March 08, 2009
Wazzat? No Ric, either that Israeli designer drug "doctor" that's been attending to him has really come up with something or perhaps he's an imposter. Our dear Septembras doesn't tend to do such lengthy, complex and yet unfinished sentence structures although I see nothing stated therein that is not in keeping with his previously expressed ideals. It is an interesting thought though, how can we knock them all a bit out of their seats and give them some common enemy that would then give them cause to work together in a united fashion? Ah yes, perhaps that evil empire will at last be unfettered and Obama the hell out of them.

MALUCO
written by João da Silva, March 08, 2009
Mayhem Amen Lord Underling of the Common Order

Holy s**t. Finally Lord Simpleton of Kent decided to mingle with "Commoners" like us. smilies/wink.gif
Lowliest of the low
written by Simpleton, March 08, 2009
Being I don't ken what you can't con others into debating from either Kant's or Kahn's world perspectives, why the hell not join you Joao? I am a bit miffed to see I was not even considered for assignment to the mendigo's role - I mix right in there with them very well even if I rarely dress the part and seem, to the locals, business travelers and turistas alike, to appear a bit out of place squatting there by a doorway conversing with such or their more incoherent if not unable to verbalize lessers.

Back to the topic of the article - I personally would not consider SP over Praia Grande de Palmas or Rio. Those that seem to have a preferance for Chicago or Milwaukee for their cultural diversity, festas, etc., etc., are welcome to them - just remember the thaw is coming and so also the smells - when the rain stops in Rio (if it ever does for more than a day here and there like the last six months provided), the smells in Rio will too. Knowing where you are / where you are going / where not to be or when not to be there if you don't blend in or aren't under umbrella coverage of someone who belongs there then - these are things that are best to be in consideration of. Bob U seems he may be a bit daft. As he found he was being cautioned regarding strolling Avenida Atlantica at night by the locals, chances are, if I had crossed paths with him in those hours, I would have been a tad bit more engaging and caustic in guiding his steps.
Question to Joao // Brief clarification
written by Augustus, March 09, 2009
Firstly I would like to apologize to the “sensitive blogger” who so “kindly” indicated that my sentences are "not finished"… (Should I thank this gentlemen? LOL)

Perhaps so... Unless my entries are very long, I hardly ever edit them (or even bother re-visiting them before posting... especially when they are composed quickly and very late in the evening...

As for my "amusing conjecture", I must confess that my entry is biased, because although I have never been (and shall never be - unless under duress) a Marxist Leninist, it is clear that I do support one of this philosophy’s basic tenet: ATHEISM. On the other hand, although one’s radical atheist views (as well as opinions expressed by religious fanatics) undoubtedly makes it difficult for the writer to divorce his/her views from any other aspect of life, I truly believe that the "shackles of religion" represents (undeniably) the most fundamental source of conflicts, wars and brutal exterminations conducted throughout the bloody pages of Human History…

QUESTION TO JOAO: The name Simpleton is familiar... I seem to recall he was an active member of this blog about the time I "showed up" (June 200smilies/cool.gif.. What is his "story"? (friend or foe? LOL)

Write comment

security code
Write the displayed characters

busy

Joomla 1.5 Templates by Joomlashack