Brazzil

Since 1989 Trying to Understand Brazil

Home

----------

Brazilian Eyelash Enhancer & Conditioner Makeup

----------

Get Me Earrings

----------

Buy Me Handbags

----------

Find Me Diamond

----------

Wholesale Clothing On Sammydress.com

----------

Brautkleider 2013

----------

Online shopping at Tmart.com and Free Shipping

----------

Wholesale Brazilian Hair Extensions on DHgate.com

----------

Global Online shopping with free shipping at Handgiftbox

----------

Search

Custom Search
Members : 22767
Content : 3832
Content View Hits : 33089806

Who's Online

We have 510 guests online



Brazil: A Wave of Attacks Against the Police PDF Print E-mail
2003 - November 2003
Saturday, 01 November 2003 08:54


Brazil: A Wave of Attacks Against the Police

Attacks against 11 police stations in São Paulo city didn't come as a surprise. The Chief of Police revealed that he knew about the actions from conversations picked up at prisons. The police went into a state of alert, but this measure, however, wasn't enough to prevent the attacks and two deaths.
by: Elma-Lia Nascimento

 

Organized crime in Rio and São Paulo gave another show of force, challenging the police in those two cities. In a concerted operation by the outlaws, 11 police stations were attacked and sprayed with machine gun fire in São Paulo, Brazil's largest city, with 11 million residents. In some cases grenades were also used by the lawbreakers. As a result, two military policemen were killed and seven others (five military and two civilian) were injured.

The first attack occurred in the early hours of Sunday against a mobile police station in downtown São Paulo. Other attacks came later that day and then continued on Monday. The dead policemen—corporal Pedro Cassiano Cunha and sergeant Fábio Soares—were from Perus and Horto Florestal, two neighborhoods north of São Paulo city. No bandit was hurt or captured.

In Rio de Janeiro, a drug lord nicknamed Fiel (Faithful), the man who commanded the traffic in the Morro dos Prazeres favela, in downtown Rio, was killed during a confrontation with the police. Fiel was caught by an 880-men megaoperation mounted by the Rio police to capture criminals and seize drugs and weapons. Called Pressão Máxima, (Maximum Pressure) the chase-bandit action will last the whole month of November, according to Rio's Security Secretary, Anthony Garotinho.

The Rio operation, which was planned for three months, started in 20 places simultaneously. Every day, another 20 actions should take place. Residents in the areas being swept by the police are encouraged to call the Disque-Denúncia (Dial-Squealing) telephone number 2253-1177 with information on places where drugs and drug dealers can be found.

Rio's most notorious drug lord, Fernandinho Beira Mar (Seaside Freddy), allegedly was behind a series of attacks against the police and the government earlier this year, right before Carnaval. Reports at the time said that he had ordered the attacks from jail, as a protest against being stripped of several privileges in prison including conjugal visitations and restaurant meals. Since May 6, Luiz Fernando da Costa is locked up in what is considered the most secure prison in Brazil, Presidente Prudente's Centro de Readaptação Penitenciária, 589 km from São Paulo city.

Finding an Explanation

São Paulo authorities believe that the anti-police rampage was orchestrated from behind the cells. Several drug ring leaders are in jail and police believe they ordered the action after prison guards foiled a jail breakout in Tremembé, in the interior of São Paulo, killing a convict. Ten armed men escalated the wall of the prison, in a daring action to free inmates.

"It seems like organized crime is trying to show us they are still out there," said São Paulo state's chief of police, Saulo de Castro Abreu Filho.

Another hypothesis is that the attacks were in response to the arrest one month ago of attorney Mauro Sérgio Mungioli, who is at Presidente Bernardes penitentiary, in the interior of São Paulo. Mungioli is accused by the police of being a front for Marcos William Herbas Camacho, better known as Marcola, one of the PCC bosses, who is also in the President Bernardes jail.

The attacks didn't come as a surprise. Chief of Police Saulo de Castro, revealed that he had received information that military police stations would be attacked between November 1 and 2: "There was talk going on inside the prisons about possible attacks. Based on that, we went in to a state of alert in the police stations and among the police men." The state of alert, however, wasn't enough to prevent the attacks and the two deaths.

According to prosecutor Roberto Porto, from Gaeco, the Special Action Group for the Repression of Organized Crime, two of the people responsible for the action in São Paulo have been identified. Names were no given, but authorities said they are members of the PCC (Primeiro Comando da Capital—Capital's First Command), who are in jail.

The ministry in Brasília that should coordinate the national policy against crime is vacant. Luiz Eduardo Soares was fired from his position as National Security Secretary on October 21 and nobody has yet been found to fill up his place. Justice Minister Márcio Thomaz Bastos made what he called a "confraternization" visit to the chief of the Federal Police in São Paulo, but hasn't presented any name for the National Security post.



Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Reddit! Del.icio.us! Mixx! Free and Open Source Software News Google! Live! Facebook! StumbleUpon! TwitThis Joomla Free PHP
Comments (0)Add Comment

Write comment

security code
Write the displayed characters


busy
 
Joomla 1.5 Templates by Joomlashack