UN Urges Brazil and Neighbors to Join Efforts to Save the Amazon

Brazil's Amazonia The just-released United Nations Environment program (UNEP) shows two sides of the human effect on climate change, with a report revealing hastened degradation of the earth's largest forest zone and the Danish city of Copenhagen becoming the 100th member of a climate-friendly network.

"Our Amazonia is changing at an accelerated rate with very profound modifications in its ecosystems," the eight Amazonian countries declared in the GEO Amazonia report, supported by UNEP and the Amazon Cooperation Treaty Organization (ACTO).

Despite the development of national programs to manage the region's ecosystems, economic activities, infrastructure construction, and human settlements are still decimating the great rain forest, vital to keeping atmospheric carbon down.

The report says that by 2005, 857,666 square kilometers of the forest had been transformed, reducing vegetation cover by approximately 17%, equal to two-thirds of Peru or 94% of Venezuela.

It recommends that the countries of the area - Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Peru, Suriname and Venezuela - harmonize their efforts for sustainable utilization of the Amazonian ecosystems.

It also called on them to bolster their environmental institutions, boost their information campaigns, promote the economic value of sustainability and create a monitoring and evaluation system for all policies, programs and projects.

Meanwhile, UNEP announced that Copenhagen, Denmark, which will host the crucial UN Climate Change Conference at the end of the year, has become the 100th member of the Climate Change Network (CN Net).

Launched a year ago, the CN Net brings together a wide range of participants, including countries, cities, major international companies, UN agencies and leading non-governmental organizations (NGOs), UNEP said.

"One year on, the unfolding financial and environmental crises make the CN Net more relevant than ever before as a showcase of both the promise and viability of the low-carbon development model which goes hand-in-hand with the emerging Green Economy initiatives around the globe," UNEP Executive Director Achim Steiner said at the agency's annual Governing Council meeting, taking place this week in Nairobi.

UNEP added that Copenhagen, under its vision of becoming a "climate capital of the world," has already cut its CO² emissions by one-fifth since 1990 and has pledged another 20% cut by 2015.

The city will play host to a music and arts festival in September to be run entirely on renewable energy, including a dance party in which stationary bike teams will generate power for the sound system and 'piezoelectricity' created by dancing crowds will light up the dance floor.

In a related development, the UN Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) said today that experts at a Geneva conference urged the world maritime shipping fleet to reduce the carbon dioxide emissions of seaborne vessels, adding that dealing with climate change is a priority that should not be undermined by other concerns such as the current global financial crisis.

Engines of seaborne vessels now contribute between 1.6 and 4.1% of the global output of CO², speakers said at the three-day meeting entitled: "Maritime transport and the climate-change challenge."

Comments   

0 #30 God blesses the entire nationAnderson 2009-02-26 08:12
GOD BLESSES THE WHOLE US.
IF HE WOULD BLESS PEOPLE ALONE, THE US WOULD NOT BE FIRST IN THE WORLD IN ANYTHING.
GOD BLESSES AMERICA CENTURY AFTER CENTURY, BECAUSE OF THE PEOPLE WHO LIVED IN THE COUNTRY AND WORSHIPED HIM LONG AGO, AND BECAUSE THEY HAVE PROTECTED THE ISRAELIS.
TRUST ME ONE DAY HE WILL STOP BLESSING THE NATION, JUST LIKE HE DID TO EDOM, THE NATION SISTER TO ISRAEL, WHICH WAS COMPLETELY ANNIHILATED. WHY??? BECAUSE THEY WERE CRUEL TO ISRAELIS.
GOD DID BLESS ESAU, AND THE EDOMITES FOR QUITE SOME CENTURIES.
GOD HAS BLESSED AMERICA, FOR MANY CENTURIES NOW.
EVEN THOUGH AMERICA IS WAY BELOW 50% TRUE CHRISTIAN.
LETS HOPE THEY DON'T END UP WITH THE SAME UNHAPPY ENDING.
0 #29 Freddy MacAnderson 2009-02-26 07:39
Freddy Mac you talk like America is a green loving country...

Why should America control the Amazon??
Arent they the most poluting country in the world??? or second best????

The only thing the US would do in the Amazon would be to take diamonds, natural gas and other recources!!!

Do you really think they are doing any good in IRAQ oir AFGAN?? I think not.. why? because they only go into countries rich in natural resources for own use.

DONT COME IN HERE DEFENDING AMERICA THE NATION OF FREEDOM IF YOU DONT ACTUALLY KNOW WHATS GOING ON INSIDE YOUR OWN BACKYARD.

THE GOVERNMENT OF THE US KILLS, LIES AND YOU ARE ONLY MAKING ME HATE THE PEOPLE, WHICH ARE INOCENT OF THE PERSUASION THEY HAVE BEEN LED TO.

TOPIC 2.

YOU ALL SHOULD KNOW THE REASON WHY GOD BLESSES AMERICA!!! IT IS BECAUSE THEY HAVE BLESSED AND PROTECTED THE PEOPLE OF GOD FOR CENTURIES.

YOU ALL SHOULD KNOW WHY BRAZIL IS NOT AS BLESSED!!! ITS BECAUSE WE HAVE BLESSED AND PROTECTED ARABIAN/MUSLIM PEOPLE WHICH IS NOT WRONG, BUT WE TURNED OUR BACK TO THE JEWISH.

EX. IS IN THE 80´S OF WHICH I DONT REMEMBER VERY WELL, BUT ONE OF OUR RULERS, CONDEMNED ISRAEL OF WRONGDOINGS OR SOMETHING ALIKE.

HOPEFULLY NO RULER OF BRAZIL WILL AGAIN SAY DEMEANING THINGS OF ISRAEL.

TRUST ME GOD DOES EXIST, 100% CERTAIN.
0 #28 ALERT TO ALL BLOGGERS AGAINST EXTREME RIGHT WING INFILTRATION ==>> HIS MOST COMMON ALIAS = "DOUBLE DOT"Augustus 2009-02-25 14:35
Several bloggers in Brazzil.com have recently been repeatedly afflicted and abused by a certain element whose most “common” alias is Double.Dot. He seems to be particularly engaged into antagonizing non-Americans and particularly those of us who reside in the United States.

After some originally misplaced theories, suggested by various regular contributors to this blog, I decided to conduct some additional research, and recently came across a very serious and dangerous threat to the United States of America, since the election of Mr. Obama. It consists of an Extreme Faction of the hideous KKK whose recent alliance with other Racist Militant elements in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and other southern/southwestern states have declared war against all foreigners, particularly those of Jewish, Latin American, and African background. They are composed of mostly very low class, uneducated WHITE TRASH, whose sole mystical way to elevate themselves of their sordid low-birth condition, is to base a fictitious “superiority” based upon race.

Well, I think all of us should make an effort to bring this dangerous elements to the attention NOT ONLY of this blog’s management, BUT ALSO to various US agencies which monitor the activity of HATE GROUPS in America, of which this LOWLY undesirable element, recently known as Double- Dot is unquestioningly either a member or a sympathizer (if not an outright infiltrator) who acts on this horrific, hateful Extremist Group’s behalf on blogs managed in the USA by non-Americans of certain background. Given this blog’s title “Brazzil.com” I fear it became an obvious target.

It disgusts me having even spent a second of my time arguing with such Trash of incalculable malice, who FAILS to recognize that we are all born ALIKE as Human Beings (but STOP being alike from the moment of birth onwards, as they are inculcated Hatred by their uneducated parents and families who teach them the glories or White Race superiority INSTEAD of Moliere; sabotage instead of calculus, malice instead of Greek Philosophy!

SWIFT ACTION IS REQUIRED, I URGE EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU TO JOIN A CRUSADE AGAINST THIS HATEFUL ELEMENT!

Augustus
0 #27 Vô Botá a Gringalhada pra Sambá…Costinha 2009-02-25 06:16
What the F…. This Demented Double Dotter needs some straightening, doesn’t he?

Dear Ms. D-Cube:

What is all this bashing Brasil, invading our country etc? Come on down, we will gladly give a new hemorrhoid! I bet you get perfect hemorrhoids since you are the perfect a.s.s.hole, whining like a whine chime, slime.

The Milwaukee police are looking for you. They took an inventory of Jeffrey Dahmer's apartment and they were short one a.s.s.hole.

You should be boiled in Shelly’s menstruation blood, freaking spit backwash. Here is a useful tip: Eat 2lbs of spicy Indian curry and then fart your head back out of you’re a.s.s.

Questions?

God Mess America

PS: And while I am at it… I heard that Bobão has been barking lately. Did that convicted child mole.ster escape from jail??? Watch Out People… Gather your children, the pedophile maybe in a town near you. I just wish he would babysit Shelly’s kids!
0 #26 Freddy MacDouble-Dot 2009-02-22 08:18
Quote:
A democratic environmentally-sensitive Amazon basin would help all of Latin America
Freddy, I was reading your latest comments with my customary thoroughness until I came to the last sentence:

Quote:
France could help too.
I am against seeking the French help as their recent track record in Indo-China and Algeria is nothing to be proud of. They are big losers and when they are in trouble, they come and cry for our help.We know more about democracy than they do. Hence I suggest we plan and execute this operation by ourselves without expecting any help from outside.Besides, the French President Sarkozy doesn't inspire any confidence and is a highly unreliable fella.Our Intel says that he dances according to the music played by his wife who is of half his age.I am sure Obama wouldn't like to involve the French and instead prefer to bring in the Kenyans into the scene.

MGBA.
0 #25 A democratic environmentally-sensitive Amazon basin would help all of Latin AmericaFreddy Mac 2009-02-22 07:33
I think the protectorate idea is a bad one, because it kind of sounds like colonialism. The important thing is to eventually create a stable democracy in the Amazon region, after someone has gone in there and cleaned out the drug dealers and criminals and communists. An independent Amazon basin could be an example for the rest of South America and a good opportunity for foreign investment. Rome wasn't built in a day, however, and it will take some time to train the people there to be advanced enough to take care of their own territory in a good way. Like I said, Obama could do this, and if he did it in an environmentally sensisitve way it would make him popular around the world. France could help too.
0 #24 Ch.c.Double-Dot 2009-02-22 02:21
I didn't ask you... You Limey.. I need no swiss banks just American banks.. Switzerland has no national banks just foreigners

God bless America once more
0 #23 Ch.c 2009-02-21 16:12
Quote:
Do you think I could lead the American army in the Amazon ?
No. You do not have the required leadership qualities. Our bankers will never ever invest in monkeys and goats.
0 #22 Freddy MacDouble-Dot 2009-02-21 15:27
Do you think I could lead the American army in the Amazon ?

I have plenty of experience since I am a monkey ;-)
0 #21 Freddy MacDouble-Dot 2009-02-21 14:53
Quote:
I guess you're right about US forces being overstreched. Maybe the Pentagon could get Brazilian volunteers and train them in the USA at American expense.
You are getting better in strategic planning. I fully approve of the involvement of the Pentagon in training the Brazilian volunteers here, making sure that our temporary guests are paid well. Considering that we are undergoing an economic recession, some tax payers might raise objection. This could be overcome by persuading the Swiss Banks to underwrite the cost without expecting any return on their investment.

Quote:
The cost could be made back by selling lots to private citizens in AZ, PA, RR, etc., where the Brazilian goverment now owns most of the land (incidentally, one of the big problems in that region).
Good idea. We could outsource this part of the project to Madoff.

Quote:
It could be like Guam or Porto Rico, and when the people were advanced enough they could vote to become US states or to have independence (or to be permanently on welfare).
We could call our new territory our "Protectorate" and no independence will be given to them.We don't want another Eye-raq, do we?

Quote:
I don't think the UN is up to such an operation - they can't hande Haiti.
Nor do I. U.N is a paper tiger just like Switzerland.

May God bless America and its future Protectorates.

Add comment

Security code
Refresh

Who's Online

We have 6427 guests and no members online

Statistics

Users
Articles
Articles View Hits

----------

cheap cocktail dresses

----------

Brazilian Male Enhancement Review at Breastsenlargementreview.com

----------

Brazilian Breasts Enlargement Cream

----------

Brazilian Top Breast Enlargement Reviews

----------

Brazilian Male Enhancement Pills at Breastsenlargementguide.com

----------

bruidsmeisjes jurken

----------

vestidos de noche

----------

ballkleider

----------

Cheap Prom Dresses

----------

Churrasco Equipment and Brazilian Meat Skewers

----------

Vestidos Noiva em Weddingmart.pt

----------

Australia Fashion Online Outlet store

----------

Robe de cocktail

----------

Our good partner Everbuying.com provides wide selections of products at best price for worldwide free shipping.

----------

Cheap Dre Beats

----------

Buy Cheap Nike Mercurial Soccer Cleats from MercurialCity now!

----------

Shopping Reviews

----------

----------

robe de cocktail

----------

Cheap Wedding Dresses

----------

bruidsjurken

----------

Find Me Handbags

----------