Brazil Confident It Will Grow Above World Average

Meirelles The Brazilian economy is in a strong position to weather the financial crisis and will grow above the global average this year, Brazil's Central Bank President Henrique Meirelles said on Sunday in Portugal.

"We are in the process of reviewing our forecast but our estimate is that we will grow above the global average," Meirelles told journalists during a meeting of Ibero-American finance officials in Portugal.

He said Brazil's economy was in a strong financial position, with US$ 200 billion in international reserves. "This will allow the country to face scarcity of international finance," he said.

The government has said Brazil would grow 4% this year while economists think it may be closer to 1.5%.

"Brazil is confronting this crisis in a better position than in the past and more advantaged than many other regions of the world," he said.

Brazil was growing strongly but has been hit by the financial crisis as it experienced a sharp fall in the commodities it sells to the world, both in volume and prices.

However Meirelles said domestic demand which is a significant component of the country's economy, continued to grow.

Latin America's Finance ministers and Central Bank presidents have met over the weekend in Portugal to coordinate the region's position for the coming international G-20 summit to be held in London in a month's time.

The meeting is Ibero-American, since Spain and Portugal are also participating. However at G-20 Latin America will be represented by the three largest economies of the region Brazil, Mexico and Argentina. Spain and Portugal will not be present at the London summit.

Mercopress

Comments   

0 #9 Augustus 2009-03-03 07:36
With the disagreements between Brasilia and Buenos Aires, the disatisfaction of Montevideo, the recent tariffs raised by Assuncion, not to mention the Looming presence of Caracas, I can SCARCELY imagine anything else, short of Mercosul's death....
0 #8 ch.c. 2009-03-02 19:11
Or dont cry for us UNSURE (UNASUR)

Augustus
I am myself a fervent reader of articles in Bloomberg.
My only advice is...take the economists predictions with a lot of salt.
After all, were they right in the middle of last year with their predictions for end 2008 early 2009 ? Smiles
This is not only the pro/against Brazil in particular but in general the world over or any individual country in particular !
Therefore I enjoy reading these articles because there is sometime interesting "details or stats" but I always draw my own conclusions.

And as to part of the article you mentionned "Latin America’s biggest economy suffered record job losses in December"
Welll, let me refresh facts
November unemployment 1,8 million, unempl. rate 7.2 %
December 654'000 jobs lost
All the above were from Brazilian Government OWN stats....not mine !

That should make unemployment at 2'454'000 at the end of December ! RIGHT...OR NOT ?

Welll if you remember our agreement/disagreement at that time, Brazil GOVERNMENT stated that by the end of December total unemployment stood at 1,6 million and rate at 6,8 % DOWN from 7,2 in NOVEMBER !

As I stated so many times, Brazilians are cheaters, liars and hiders. Hopefully you understand my views and arguments.
The funny thing is that Noooooooo article whatsoever from economists or financial "experts" , Brazilian or foreign, have written
even a word about these famous Brazilian STATS MANIPULATION !
Hopefully you also understand why I am telling...read with a lot of salt....whatever you read...in Bloomberg and/or elsewhere.
Millions of LIARS, JUNKIES, INCOMPETENTS AND INNEFICIENTS PEOPLE are at governments, regulators, lawmakers, supervisory agencies, MEDIAS, Managements of the World largest financials companies.

And hundreds of millions junkies around the world take their words as true and granted, be it in Brazil or elsewhere !

Even Obama with his great long term budget plan is laughable.
Using his own numbers and estimates, assuming ALL his proposals are accepted, by 2019 the U.S. total debts will DOUBLE TO $23 TRILLION......FROM THE ALREADY EXTRAVAGANT HIGH 2009 estimates.
And he was warmly applauded !!!!!!

Hmmmmm :D ;-) :D ;-) :D ;-) :D ;-) :D ;-) ;-)
0 #7 Augustus 2009-03-02 15:14
According to the following editorial, Mr. Henrique Meirelles lied... thus confirming ch-c multiple accusations...

Quote:
Brazil Industrial Output May Drop for Third Month: Week Ahead
By Iuri Dantas
March 2 (Bloomberg) -- Brazil’s industrial output probably fell for a third straight month in January, the longest streak of declines in five years, as the global financial crisis cuts demand for Brazilian exports.
Brazilian industrial production fell 9.8 percent in January compared with the same month last year, according to the median forecast in a Bloomberg survey of 11 economists. Factory output plunged 14.5 percent in December, the most in 17 years.
“Brazilian industry will have to rely on domestic demand and government measures,” Renato da Fonseca, executive manager of the National Industry Confederation, said in a phone interview. “It’s hard to see a recovery in the first half of the year that will be strong enough to compensate for the drop we had in December.”
Latin America’s biggest economy suffered record job losses in December as Brazilian companies cut production to adjust for lower demand. The government is seeking to counter layoffs with tax cuts and will try to revive economic growth by building one million homes by 2010.
Slowing output may lead policy makers to cut the benchmark interest rate by a full percentage point to 11.75 at their March 10-11 meeting to help boost the economy, a central bank survey of about 100 economists said.
Declines in output may be tempered by a recovery in auto sales, Eduardo Yuki, chief economist at BNP Paribas Asset Management in Brazil, said in a phone interview. “It’s hard to imagine another substantial fall in industrial production like we had last year.”
Brazil in January posted its first monthly trade deficit since 2001
0 #6 Augustus 2009-03-02 15:04
Surely there must have been a "misprint"...
He must certainly have been JOKING at such a time after having enjoyed more than three glasses of Champagne...
0 #5 João da Silva 2009-03-02 14:10
Quote:
Dont worry for them !
You have a point there,Old chap. They could all form a chorus, imitate Evita Peron and sing together "Don´t cry for us Mercosul.........." :D

I bet you have heard this song. ;-)
0 #4 ch.c. 2009-03-02 13:55
Dont worry for them !
With whatever they put on the side with their corruptions practices their pensions are only for pocket money.
And this despite getting high pensions.
0 #3 João da Silva 2009-03-02 12:33
Quote:
Things we do not need to hear from economists/politicos
I am yet to hear them saying #6, Jon ;-)

Re #5: If the world average is minus 5% (-5%) and a country grows by minus 4% (-4%), that country is above the world average. ;-) :D

Econometrics is an interesting subject, wouldn't you agree ?
0 #2 Anderson 2009-03-02 08:51
i dont see a 4%, but it would sure be good!!
0 #1 jon 2009-03-02 08:12
#1) "The fundamentals are strong"

#2) "What crisis???"

#3) "Just keep shopping"

#4)....we are going to stimulate the economy

#5) .."we will grow above the world average..whatever that is.."

#6) "well, my pension is fine.."

Add comment

Security code
Refresh

Who's Online

We have 8437 guests and no members online

Statistics

Users
Articles
Articles View Hits

----------

cheap cocktail dresses

----------

Brazilian Male Enhancement Review at Breastsenlargementreview.com

----------

Brazilian Breasts Enlargement Cream

----------

Brazilian Top Breast Enlargement Reviews

----------

Brazilian Male Enhancement Pills at Breastsenlargementguide.com

----------

bruidsmeisjes jurken

----------

vestidos de noche

----------

ballkleider

----------

Cheap Prom Dresses

----------

Churrasco Equipment and Brazilian Meat Skewers

----------

Vestidos Noiva em Weddingmart.pt

----------

Australia Fashion Online Outlet store

----------

Robe de cocktail

----------

Our good partner Everbuying.com provides wide selections of products at best price for worldwide free shipping.

----------

Cheap Dre Beats

----------

Buy Cheap Nike Mercurial Soccer Cleats from MercurialCity now!

----------

Shopping Reviews

----------

----------

robe de cocktail

----------

Cheap Wedding Dresses

----------

bruidsjurken

----------

Find Me Handbags

----------