Despite Misgivings Brazil Ready to Welcome Chavez into Mercosur

President Chavez Brazil's Senate leader and former president José Sarney said that the Mercosur incorporation of Venezuela will be "disturbing" for the trade block but admitted the Upper House would finally approve the admission protocols.

"I believe that the admission of Venezuela at this moment is a disturbing element for Mercosur which is undergoing a very difficult situation," said Senator Sarney recently re-elected to the presidency of the Upper House and a frequent critic of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez.

"I'm under the impression that if Chavez is admitted he will try to convert Mercosur into a political forum, and we can't transform Mercosur into a political forum," said the Senator who is a coalition ally of Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva.

Mercosur presidents agreed the incorporation of Venezuela in July 2006 but the decision needed congressional approval, which was almost immediate from the legislative branches of Argentina and Uruguay.

At the beginning of 2007 Brazil sent the proposal to the Lower House to have Venezuela admitted as the fifth full member of the trade group that also includes Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay.

Brazilian opposition questioned the proposal and it took a full year to obtain the Lower House approval. However resistance is even stronger in the Senate since the opposition holds more benches and several Lula allies do not approve of Chavez.

Last February the Mercosur Committee voted favorably and now the issue is before the Foreign Affairs committee followed by the full House.

"Just watching movements, the feeling is that it will finally be approved," said Sarney who has a long congressional experience.

Sarney anticipated he would vote against Venezuela's incorporation but promised he would not use his institutional powers to block procedures.

"My position remains unchanged: I do not understand what is meant by "Bolivarian democracy," and any democracy with adjectives is suspicious," he said.

The Senator insists that the Venezuelan government suffers from "institutional shortcomings" and recalled that any member wishing to become a member of Mercosur must respect the "democratic clause," according to the business publication Valor.

Lula has supported the proposal to admit Venezuela to the Mercosur arguing that few governments in the region have faced elections and plebiscites as often as Venezuela.

However the truth is that one of the pet programs of President Chavez was a huge natural gas network extending from the rich fields in Maracaibo through the South American continent heartland to supply the power houses of São Paulo, Buenos Aires and Santiago.

With the recent discoveries of massive resources of oil and gas offshore Brazil, even at pre salt depths (5,000 to 7,000 meters), the country will not need to become Venezuelan energy dependent, a fearsome scenario for the Brazilian establishment and Armed Forces. Consequently thumbs down for the Chavez project, "now he can come in."

In related news the other Mercosur member which still has to vote the incorporation of Venezuela is Paraguay. The current ruling coalition mathematically has the necessary votes for the approval but the conservative wing of the government is not convinced, - as in Brazil -, of President Chavez' interpretation of democracy.

However if Brazil finally extends the green light admission, Paraguay will most surely follow.

Mercopress

Comments   

0 #27 lost in the air wavesforrest allen brown 2009-03-20 05:09
the truth
one of so little mind

do you kiss your mother with that mouth ?????
0 #26 Sorry Florist… I don’t understand!..... 2009-03-13 15:53
I tried to run your text:

“
chaves is not a democracy
written by forrest allen brown, March 12, 2009
it is a demagog .
this will be a mess that will end with chaves crying at the top of his lungs the US controls
MERCOSUR and you are all out to get me
“

In one of these online translations, but it came back as “non-recognizable spoken language.” Could you tell us “What the F.U.C.K. do you speak?”

Costinha

Hehehehe
0 #25 Ohhhhhhh… My Costeleta!..... 2009-03-13 15:34
Just say…..SUKATOMEE.. SUKATOMEE... SUKATOMEE… 3 times...

That’s the same technique Bobão uses when he’s molesting someone.

Luv U

Costinha

PS: Nilson, you are about as deep as your reflection in a mirror.
0 #24 João da Silva 2009-03-13 14:03
Quote:
I know this might come as a surprise to everyone here but
Not to me, though.
0 #23 Costinha..... 2009-03-13 13:30
You sound so sexy and virile,

I know this might come as a surprise to everyone here but, I think I'm falling in love with you !

Yes, God mess Amerika my darling

Costeleta
0 #22 VenezuelaNilson 2009-03-13 13:28
To be honest, I think this Mercosur is a comedy anyway.. Their members never seem to agree with anything, so Venezuela being a full-member will make no difference as the whole thing is a joke..
0 #21 Part of the familyDouble-Dot 2009-03-13 13:19
Im part of this big happy family...

So, where is my pet monkey Augustus ? Should I just call its name and offer it a banana?

God bless America
0 #20 I Wouldn't Mind Being Part Of Your Big Happy Family…..... 2009-03-13 11:07
No problem…. We can arrange it. But first, you need to serve-out your prison term for your last bank robbery.

If I were you, I would try to be in cahoots with the Sheriff, he’s your boss. So kiss his a.s.s and lick his hairy balls! Oh, by the way… Since I sit at the head of the table, please call me “Big Dick Daddy from Cincinnati.”

God mess amerika,

Costinha

PS: One more thing, please don’t feed our fat geriatric family dog, Florist A$$ Brown, he is on a strict Alpo diet, no cookies please!
0 #19 The big happy familyDouble-Dot 2009-03-13 09:28
Quote:
BUT....BUT......if you want to join the "Big happy Family", you have to play by the rules set by the Lord Mayor and the Lord Sheriff
I wouldn't mind being part of your big happy family as long as Augustus is the pet monkey

God Bless America
0 #18 João da Silva 2009-03-13 08:22
Quote:
Thanks for the friendly compliment..
You are most welcome.

Quote:
but by no means Augustus is a Lord, just a Lord of his underground kingdom of beats...
NO.......NO..... You are ill informed. The Limey queen of yours conferred Lordship on Augustus a couple of decades ago.

BUT....BUT......if you want to join the "Big happy Family", you have to play by the rules set by the Lord Mayor and the Lord Sheriff. :D

Add comment

Security code
Refresh

Who's Online

We have 5474 guests and no members online

Statistics

Users
Articles
Articles View Hits

----------

cheap cocktail dresses

----------

Brazilian Male Enhancement Review at Breastsenlargementreview.com

----------

Brazilian Breasts Enlargement Cream

----------

Brazilian Top Breast Enlargement Reviews

----------

Brazilian Male Enhancement Pills at Breastsenlargementguide.com

----------

bruidsmeisjes jurken

----------

vestidos de noche

----------

ballkleider

----------

Cheap Prom Dresses

----------

Churrasco Equipment and Brazilian Meat Skewers

----------

Vestidos Noiva em Weddingmart.pt

----------

Australia Fashion Online Outlet store

----------

Robe de cocktail

----------

Our good partner Everbuying.com provides wide selections of products at best price for worldwide free shipping.

----------

Cheap Dre Beats

----------

Buy Cheap Nike Mercurial Soccer Cleats from MercurialCity now!

----------

Shopping Reviews

----------

----------

robe de cocktail

----------

Cheap Wedding Dresses

----------

bruidsjurken

----------

Find Me Handbags

----------