Global Online shopping with free shipping at Handgiftbox

----------

Search

Custom Search
Members : 23424
Content : 3861
Content View Hits : 35900555

Who's Online

Warning: mysql_query() [function.mysql-query]: Unable to save result set in /home/brazzil3/public_html/libraries/joomla/database/database/mysql.php on line 223

Frei Betto's Hotel Brasil: A Gripping Mystery That Will Keep You Guessing PDF Print E-mail
2014 - April 2014
Written by Ernest Barteldes   
Tuesday, 01 April 2014 20:09

Hotel Brasil by Frei BettoFrei Betto (born Carlos Alberto Libânio Christo) is a well-known figure both in literary and political circles in Brazil. As an activist friar in the 1960s, he was a staunch defender of political liberties during the cruel dictatorship that took control of the Brazilian government for two decades, and as a result he was imprisoned by the regime for several years.

He is currently a celebrated author with more than fifty published titles, and has continued his work in favor of the poor and disenfranchised of his country. His defense of the Liberation Theology put him in odds with the Vatican especially during the reigns of the last two popes, who did everything to crush the movement.

That, however, did not at all diminish his efforts - in fact, during the Lula government he led "Fome Zero," the administration's major social projects that successfully reduced death rates due to malnutrition among low-income children in the country.

His stance in defense of the disenfranchised and his disagreements with church orthodoxy have also made him a target for more conservative Catholics in the country, who tend to be very critical of his proximity with the Left.

On his first mystery novel (he is mostly a non-fiction writer) published in 1999 in Brazil but finally made available in English via Bitter Lemon Press, we follow a mysterious murder in a boarding house in downtown Rio de Janeiro: one of its residents is found stabbed and decapitated, and to top it off his eyes were removed.

There are no leads or any evidence that his room was broken into, so suspicion falls on all the other residents: a civil rights activist, a reporter, a drag queen, an aspiring actress, a political aide, the house's administrator and her two employees.

The detective assigned to the case is Olinto Del Bosco, who is an old-school kind of cop used to the harsh methods of the days of the dictatorship in lieu of the more scientific approach found on today's procedural mysteries - meaning that he will use torture to get what he wants, even if there is no evidence to back up his theories.

We are then given a profile of the different characters and their backgrounds - "Seu" Marçal, the victim, was a retired widower who peddled precious gemstones from Minas Gerais and also had a penchant for younger women.

The other residents of the hotel are a microcosm of Brazil itself, and we are presented with their backgrounds and the stories that led them to share that space.  This being a Frei Betto novel, a lot of the current (at least as of 1999)  social and political and social issues of the country are very present, going from police and political corruption to drug use, child prostitution and street violence.

Hotel Brasil is not for the faint of heart:  Without giving out any spoilers, just sixty pages into the book two women fall into prostitution rings, there are two gruesome murders and a brutal rape - and that is just as we are introduced to the main characters.

"Postcard" Rio is barely mentioned in the tome, except for the famed Lapa Arches and the omnipresent figure of Christ the Redeemer. The action mostly takes place between Rio's City Center and the favelas - no strolls around Copacabana or Ipanema to be seen here.

The novel was translated by Jethro Soutar, who chose to keep some Portuguese expressions intact.  These were not untranslatable word like "saudade," but words that are easily translatable. For instance, Inspector Del Bosco is often referred to as "delegado," which means "deputy chief" or simply "investigator", while at one point one woman is accused of being a "puta" (whore).

During an interrogation, one witness interjects "Pelo amor de Deus," which simply means "For God's sake." I am not sure how that would work with monolingual readers who do not understand some Portuguese - and though it is an interesting gimmick, I find it to be an extremely ineffective tool.

Having said that, I found Hotel Brasil to be really gripping, and its twists and turns kept me guessing until the very end.  I am a pretty frequent mystery reader, and I often guess who the murderer is - but this was not the case.

All my suspicions were wrong, and when the last page came, I just asked myself, "What the..." - which makes this a must-read for lovers of the genre.

<font size="1">  Hotel Brasil

By Frei Betto

254 pages

Bitter Lemon Press, $ 14.95 (e-book version available)</font>

Ernest Barteldes is a freelance writer based on Staten Island, New York. He can be reached at ebarteldes@yahoo.com. This article appeared in The Brasilians.

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Reddit! Del.icio.us! Mixx! Free and Open Source Software News Google! Live! Facebook! StumbleUpon! TwitThis Joomla Free PHP
Comments (11)Add Comment
Pssssssssssssssss.....................................................................................................................................
written by Costinha, April 07, 2014

Please quiet now, keep it low ......

PIMPLETON is GAY

and I mean, not happy gay, butt gay (know what I mean)

Costinha

mais uma caso de merda
written by Simpleton, April 07, 2014
As much as it pains me to even give you your jollies by posting a reply, (except for in TGB's article where it somehow fittingly seemed appropriate) you have chosen to dirty up yet another thread. Get a life.

The author in this case came up with a few good lines like "These were not untranslatable word like "saudade,"" and "at one point one woman is accused of being a "puta" (whore)" and far still "I find it to be an extremely ineffective tool." which very much explains how well he knows you and Tad.
written by Double-Dot, April 07, 2014
The detective assigned to the case is Olinto Del Bosco, who is an old-school kind of cop used to the harsh methods of the days of the dictatorship in lieu of the more scientific approach found on today's procedural mysteries - meaning that he will use torture to get what he wants, even if there is no evidence to back up his theories.

The author is obviously an American and undoubtedly a Commie sympathizer. Good ole Joe & Edgar should be rolling in their graves. Christine should declare this fella "persona non grata" and kick him out of Brazil and send him to PRC.

God bless America and save us all from the Neo-Commies, Neo-Nazis, Neo-Fascists, Islamo-Fascists, etc; smilies/shocked.gifsmilies/angry.gifsmilies/cry.gif
mais uma cara (PIMPLETON) de merda
written by Costinha, April 08, 2014

Pretentious Pimply A$$ …

May Your Hairy a*****e Be A “Penis Dartboard” For A Thousand Years. Now then . . . Go Tinkle Your Winkle…Prick!

God mess America, Land of the Fee & Home of the Slave.

Costinha

written by Simpleton, April 08, 2014
Who does not like a good cup of Joe? And would that be Edgarwinters or Edgarwiesenhower?

Costinha, haven't you fingered it out yet? You have become superfluous in the obsolete sense. You can talk to mister winkie all you want in the men's bathroom. Maybe he'll even teach you how to play the zither.
Simpleton
written by Célio Borba, April 08, 2014

Boa tarde, Seu Simpleton. Finalmente V.Sª acordou?smilies/grin.gifsmilies/cry.gifsmilies/cool.gif
Auhhhhhhhhhhhhhh….. Did I Touch a Little Nerve ?
written by Costinha, April 09, 2014

To BE or NOT TO BE, That’s the Question !

Please cast your vote:

1)PIMPLETON is a “HeShe Beast
2)PIMPLETON is a “SheHe Beast
3)PIMPLETON is a “Cara de Merda”

This pretentious little slut uses google translate to make believe he is bilingual. Isn't there an electric power outlet somewhere near by that you can plug your tongue into?

Hehehehe

Costinha

PS. Pimpleton - A fine specimen of junkyard genetics
Choisissez un robe en dentelle de mariage pour le mariage de plage
written by dsadasfasfasff, April 28, 2014
La tendance à la plage de mode de mariage ou toute autre forme de robe de mariée est également prête à se tourner vers la simplicité et la facilité dans les deux dernières années . feestjurken goedkope Robes de mariée avec des fleurs en tissu de grandes et lourdes matériaux couverts longtemps membre une chose du passé . Au cours des dernières années, le style de robes de mariée a eu beaucoup de changements . Les bras de la nouvelle petite amie révélé maintenant les épaules nues ont le plus moderne et belle comme les robes de mariée de la mer ont été très exigeant et intransigeant .

Actuellement , si vous regardez un dictionnaire pour le mot «simple» , qui est synonyme , y compris la commodité , la propreté , le minimalisme et sans effort . Et puis viendra avec une autre collection de mots tels que la simplicité et la douceur . maxi jurken goedkope

Donc la question qui se pose ici est de savoir comment la robe est d'être facile ? Les mots « minimaliste » ou «légères» lorsqu'il est mélangé avec «propre» devraient avoir une idée claire d'une robe simple qui peut être placé dans une mer de mariage serait dans sa robe de mariée. La robe était juste une simple robe , c**ktailjurken goedkope qui avait eu lieu sans prétention, juste propres , de belles lignes dans une longue robe , couverture souple , dans une tendance lisse , a été ajouté et le baiser parfait chiffre enviable de la mariée .
Choisir une robe de mariage droit
written by dsadasfasfasff, April 28, 2014
Chaque fille veut le plus intelligent mariée sur son grand jour .vestidos formais baratas
Et il est important de choisir une robe de mariée qui flatte votre type de corps . Voici quelques conseils sur la façon de faire une robe de mariage adapté à votre type de corps .
Choisir une robe de mariage droit
written by dsadasfasfasffasd, April 28, 2014
Chaque fille veut le plus intelligent mariée sur son grand jour . http://www.vestitidacerimonia.eu/pt/
Et il est important de choisir une robe de mariée qui flatte votre type de corps . Voici quelques conseils sur la façon de faire une robe de mariage adapté à votre type de corps .

Write comment

security code
Write the displayed characters

busy

Joomla 1.5 Templates by Joomlashack