|
 The events of April 22, and the subsequent failure to effectively
investigate the abuses and adequately compensate the victims,
lend further weight to the claims that the judicial system
discriminates against the Indians. By
According to Amnesty International, a new investigation is needed to look into the
military police action of April 22, 2000 against indigenous and black groups, landless
activists, and others protesting against Brazil's official 500th anniversary celebrations
in Porto Seguro, Bahia state.
On that day, when Brazil celebrated the 500th anniversary of the Portuguese
navigator Pedro Álvares Cabral's arrival in Brazil, 30 protestors were injured, and over
140 were temporarily detained, when military police reportedly attacked peaceful
protestors using tear gas, rubber bullets and baton charges. At the end of the year, those
responsible for the operation - and the human rights violations committed - remained no
closer to justice.
"The authorities have not responded adequately to the strong witness and
documentary evidence of unprovoked and disproportionate police force against
demonstrators," said the human rights organization. "A full review of the case
is essential."
In its new report, Amnesty International argues that instead of investigating and
bringing to account all those responsible, and also compensating the victims, the
authorities sought to portray the victims as the perpetrators. The organization also
stated that the authorities justified the police action in terms of preventing disruptions
to the official celebrations.
Last year, a federal police investigation exonerated the military police from
allegations of excessive and arbitrary use of force. However, the federal prosecutors
office responsible for initiating investigations in the case has been highly critical of
the investigation, calling it inadequate and superficial, and is seeking to disprove its
findings.
"The problem is that those seeking to further the investigations have faced lack
of resources and overt official support for the military police officers involvedthe
officer in charge of the operation was promoted in recognition for his role," said
Amnesty International.
"It is the responsibility of the authorities, both state and federal, to ensure
that a full and fair judicial process can take place. So far, the authorities have
appeared unwilling to establish such a climate, denying the victims the right to justice
and redress," the organization added.
Amnesty International has documented over many years human rights violations against
indigenous peoples and other minorities, including the failure of the judicial system to
provide justice. The events of April 22, and the subsequent failure to effectively
investigate the abuses and adequately compensate the victims, lend further weight to the
claims of these groups that the judicial system discriminates against them.
Background
On April 22, 2000, the Bahia state military police reportedly used arbitrary and
excessive police force in order to prevent protestors from the Marcha
Indígena 2000 and Outros 500 campaign from reaching Porto Seguro, Bahia, where
official celebrations were taking place. Photographs and witnesses appear to support the
claims of those who participated in the protest that the police action was unprovoked. For
a copy of the report, "Brazil: Police Violence & the 500th
Anniversary" (AMR 19/29/00, December 2000) or for more information you can call
Amnesty
International's press office in London, UK, on +44 20 7413 5566
Amnesty International, 1 Easton St., London WC1X 0DW. Their Website:
http://www.amnesty.org
Send
your
comments to
Brazzil
 |