Back to our cover

Brazzil Forum [ return ]
FromMessage
Steven

11/11/2002
18:47:11
Subject: Carnaval in Olinda
IP: Logged

Hello..first time poster. I'm researching Carnaval for 2003 and came across some very nice words about Olinda. Wondering if anyone has a comment on Olinda for Carnaval. I'd welcome comments on Rio as well. Anything would be appreciated. Much thanks!

braslvr

11/11/2002
20:52:34
RE: Carnaval in Olinda

Although I've not yet experienced Carnaval in Brazil, I have been there 3 times right before it started, and taken part in several "pre-carnaval" celebrations. One of those times was in Recife. I'm sure all of the major Carnaval events will be happening in Recife (right next door to Olinda). Olinda is a really cool place to explore in the daytime. Incredible architecture and sightseeing, but it is not much of a party city. I highly recommend Recife as a great nightlife city in Brazil. It was in fact the first city I visited when I first went there for work in 1997. For Carnaval in the Nordeste, I've heard many times that Salvador is the place to be if you want a major crowded party atmosphere. I'll bet Recife is a close second.

Caution Ana

11/11/2002
21:51:30

Read in the local Rio papers about all the crime and escalating violence that is going on in Rio--and it's not even carnaval time yet! Personally, I would head for Olinda (or Salvador if you want great culture)! You can party in Rio, but better 'watch your step' so you don't join the crowd at the police station.

Eddie
 Email

11/12/2002
15:56:43

For Carnaval in the Nordeste, I've heard many times that Salvador is the place to be if you want a major crowded party atmosphere. I'll bet Recife is a close second.

I've been to carnaval in Salvador and it is f****** awesome. Apparently it is the best carnaval in Brasil. My Brasilian cousin, arranged a press pass for me and herself and to participate in the parade also. Our bloco was called 'Simpatico de Amor'.
I got fantastic photos of the trio electricos from the press boxes and on alternative days, and had the opportunity to dance and party at Campo Grande and along the carnaval procession trail leading up to Pelourinho and beyond.
I had a great time and very little sleep, but it was all worth it.
As for the Recife carnaval, after Salvador, "it is believed to be the second best, as judged by the locals."

Steven

11/17/2002
19:13:56

Thanks for your comments everyone. If going to carnaval in Salvador..what would be the closest international airport..Would I fly into Rio..or some other place?

braslvr

11/17/2002
20:54:31

You will enter Brazil in either Rio or Sao Paulo. From there, it is about a 2 hour flight to Salvador. Be sure and check all routings for the best fare. Where are you departing from? I may be able to help you with some airfare tips. You have to book REALLY soon tho for Carnaval.

Steven

11/23/2002
19:34:19

Thanks..I'll be departing from Denver, CO.

P 1

Back to our cover