Back to our cover

Brazzil Forum [ return ]
FromMessage
American Santa

11/24/2002
08:18:52
Subject: VCRs/DVDs/CDs
IP: Logged

Hi. I have a VCR movie that I want to send a copy of as a Christmas gift in some format to a friend in Rio. I've been told that not everything which plays here will there. If I buy a second copy of the tape and send it, will it play on his VCR? If not, should I try to get it in a DVD format, or will there be the same problem? How about on a CD for the computer (would a movie work in that format and are the CD Rom drives on Brazilian computers the same as here?). Which format do you think will work? Thanks

Adrianerik

11/24/2002
14:42:56
RE: VCRs/DVDs/CDs

Your movie is probably in the NTSC video format (I'm positive that it is). Check with your friend to be sure that their VCR and Television can switch between PAL-M (Brazilian standard) to NTSC (United States standard).

All of my friends have that capability. If the VCR plays NTSC and not the television then the picture will play but it will be black and white.

If your friends have a DVD they need to know if it is set for Region 1 (United States), region 4 (Brazil) or all regions #9. The number is on the back of their DVD.

If you buy your DVD movie there will be a number on the package. The region number on the package should be the same as the region number as your friend's DVD player.

You can't put a full movie on a CD. (unless they have created something that I am umaware of).

If the movie is not a surprise call your friends and find out what equipment they have.

Peace

American Santa

11/24/2002
16:50:27
RE: VCRs/DVDs/CDs

Thanks! It seems like the VCR is my best bet. It is a Christmas present (surprise). If the VCR machine or the Tv doesn't switch, will he still be able to watch it with black and white and sound also?

P 1

Back to our cover