Back to our cover

Brazzil Forum [ return ]
FromMessage
Mojo JoJo Jo

11/26/2002
08:00:05
Subject: Japanese minority
IP: Logged

I've heard that the largest minority of Japanese outside of Asia is in Brazil. Is this true? If so, why?

TIA

11/26/2002
08:45:27
RE: Japanese minority

You mean biggest japanese community? If so then yes, its is located in Săo Paulo, most of them migrated after the II World War.

Mojo Jojo Jo

11/26/2002
08:59:28

Why did they all come to Brazil? I mean why not other countries. you would think Brazil would be like Mars for all they cared.

The culture/climate is so different I mean.

HPC
 Email

11/26/2002
13:08:45

Why germans came to Brazil? Why dutchs came too and others europeans? Because they were poor...

I dont know if it is true, but I heard that Brazil has the biggests polish, south corean, lebanese and ukranian communities outside this countries.

There is more lebanese origin people in Brazil than in Lebanon.

And 33 millions have italian orgin

I heard about the biggest community outside finland, thats kind of crazy, but Brazil is a crazy countrie so u can believe in anything.

We have the biggest black population outside Africa too, most of them from Angola I guess.

BlackBaron
 Email

11/26/2002
13:11:37

Well...the japanese came from Japan to Brazil because they saw on brazilian movies some "mulatas" (afro-brazilian women) shaking hers hips during the carnival...but..not so japanese: italian, germans, polands, ucranians, etc..all of them are sex maniac...:))

USCIT

11/26/2002
14:28:07

Good try BlackBaron, but not quite the gold ring.

In the early 1900's many Japanese were anxious to get out of Japan to escape the lower class poverty of that country at the time. At the same time, Brazilian coffee planters were trying to find a good source of cheap, but good, labor. Sâo Paulo State decided to pay passage money for Japanese immigrants to fill that need. (791 people of 158 families in the first group in 1908) The Japanese proved to be excellent workers, but were actually unsatisfactory. They would work for a couple of years and then want to start their own farms. Brazil wanted laborers, not entrepreneurs. They stopped paying passage. Japan however liked the idea of expanding their presence on the globe, and so began picking up the tab for passage. End result. A lot of Immigrants. This continued (cut back in 1930 with Brazilian immigration restrictions) until 1942 when Brazil broke off relations with Japan due to WWII. After which, many Japanese living in Brazil wanting to help relatives in post war Japan helped others to come over. Final result, a very large Japanese community.

"O shitie muka muka knaka knaka joto. Né?"

Down to earth
 Email

11/27/2002
07:57:04

What I like about Brazil is that unlike America regardless of what your ethnic background is everyone is going to refer to himself as “brazilian” and not African-brazilian, Italian-brazilian, german-brazilian or any of that branding crap as if we were a breed of cows.

Mojo Jojo Jo

12/01/2002
18:51:15

I gotta say, I love a country where people from ALL over the world get together, live in harmony and just dance!!

Brazil is a model for the WORLD!!

muah! a big kiss to all those gostosas out there!!

Patinho

12/02/2002
02:26:13

Once again, Down to Earth, I am in complete agreement with you. I once wrote a report on diversity in America and a very large part of it included "only when we stop calling ourselves African American, Native American, German American, etc... and just call ourselves Americans... can we truly call our country a "melting pot".

Off the subject, has anyone ever heard of the city Americana, (I think that's the name) in the Nordeste that was settled by southern Americans after the American Civil War? Just curious...

USCIT

12/02/2002
09:38:46

Yes Patinho, I've heard of it. There was a settlement of a few hundred American colonists that started in about 1866 near Santarém. It gradually weeded itself out in disputes over authority and a lack of farming success. They further scattered all over the Amazon basin during the rubber boom and most didn't return. A few descendents remain as I understand it, but they have long since blended into Brazilian society. Per one report, they themselves hardly remember their American origin and are even less caring of it. Unfortunately I did not keep a copy of the interview wherin that info was garnered, just the bare statistic as indicated. A person looking to find them however would need to look around Santarém.

Down to Earth

12/03/2002
17:33:59

Do there is no risk of them referring to themselves as American-Brazilian then?

;o)

BlackBaron
 Email

12/04/2002
07:53:28

It is a city in Sao Paulo state, southeastern Brazil. There are many americans descendants there, but they now eat "feijoada" (black beans + pork meat) and drink "caipirinha"...and all of them have married "mulatas"..i do not know why..i prefer Michelle Pfeiffer..crazy americans :)).

Down to Earth

12/05/2002
07:51:04

Opposites attract BlackBaron, you should know that yourself. So you have a weakness for Dutch lasses?

P 1

Back to our cover