Brazzil Forum [ return ]
FromMessage
John de Ruiter
 Email

11/28/2002
12:15:32
Subject: Condo in Sao Paulo
IP: Logged

I am looking for a condo to rent in the Sao Paulo area from February 7-14/03. Preferably a 1 bedroom unit with access to a pool. Doesn't have to be on a resort but it does have to be a nice area. I stumbled across this forum and thought I'd take a shot. Anyone have any suggestions?

Boris
 Email

11/28/2002
12:30:20
RE: Condo in Sao Paulo

Can you be a little bit more specific about your location preferences?... Sao Paulo, after all, is the second largest metropolis in the world...

Boris

John
 Email

11/28/2002
16:26:36

I have to confess my ignorance. I've just spent the last 1/2 hour on geography sites looking at poulation statitics. I had no idea how large the city is. We don't hear much about Brazil or Sao Paulo in particular north of the equator. I consider myself somewhat informed about the world around me but this just came out of nowhere. I'm actually looking for this condo for some clients of mine. It is a holiday for them so we'll assume they want to be near a 'touristy' area (a beach perhaps??). Once again, I would appreciate some suggestions. I haven't had a chance to talk to them today so I will have to see if I can get more information from them. Thanks

Boris
 Email

11/28/2002
17:12:56

I didn't mean to sound rude or anything. Sao Paulo is hardly a tourist destination. Traffic, crime, high cost, difficulty of getting around (100 mile long traffic jams are very common) all add up to a very tough city.

It would help if you could find out what your clients are up to and where would they like or have to be in the city. This would be the starting point of looking for a place.

P.S. Sao Paulo has the largest private helicopter and private armored car fleet in the world... Can you guess why?

Lucas

11/28/2002
23:03:46

Não é do tipo meio paranóico, que tem medo até de sari de
casa, é?

11/28/2002
23:28:30

O fato é, São Paulo não é uma cidade turística.

Boris
 Email

11/29/2002
01:05:49

BlackBaron
 Email

11/29/2002
14:15:34

I really think that Boris is superestimating crime in Sao Paulo....i was assaulted only 3 times this year there...end the guys are using simples Taurus 38, nothing 1st World guns like Walthers PPK, Uzi, and so on. So, come on tourists, São Paulo is a very nice touristic city!

Blackbaron (with my hands up..)

USCIT

11/29/2002
14:54:10

What were you wearing, BlackBaron? A shirt with $100.00 bills printed all over it? See, all you attract is the low class. Get a shirt with $1000.00 bills and maybe they'll show you an Uzi.

Boris
 Email

11/29/2002
16:03:19

Actually, wearing a shirt already sets you out as a person of means ;)

john
 Email

11/29/2002
17:18:56

I still have not talked my clients yet about their condo,but I find it fascinating the new direction that this post is taking, . I live in a small village in Ontario, Canada about 100 km north of Toronto. I cannot imagine what life must be like in a city of that size. How many people actually live in the metropolitan area? I have seen various population statistics on Sao Paulo but they are all different. And what do they all do? Aside from the ones carrying the uzi's :) I still feel like an idiot for not knowing how big the city is. Anyway, carry on. Incidentally, I can't read portuguese or spanish but I got the drift of went on there a couple of posts ago.

Boris
 Email

11/29/2002
18:39:14
Sao Paulo.... love it or leave it...

I choose the latter... While I only spent two weeks there on a job assignment, I managed to develop a profound and sincere aversion to the city... Huge, dangerous, polluted, packed... you name it!

To be honest, I did like restaurants and the night life. SP is absolutly not for newbies or non-portuguese speakers without a local guide.

Of course, not everyone is carrying an Uzi there, but Tauruses, six-shooters, machine guns, and high-powered rifles abound.

Traffic is a nightmare (subway system is good, but it takes time to learn about it)...

SP has around 20 million people living in the Grande Sao Paulo area... That's more or less correct official numbers, in reality nobody knows.

It reminds me somewhat of New York with its attitude and pace.

Of course, not everyone is carrying an Uzi there, but Tauruses, six-shooters, machine guns, and high-powered rifles abound.

Traffic is a nightmare (subway system is good, but it takes time to learn about it)...

SP has around 20 million people living in the Grande Sao Paulo area... That's more or less correct official numbers, in reality nobody knows.

It reminds me somewhat of New York with its attitude and pace.

USCIT

11/29/2002
20:54:23

Hey John, sounds to me like you're getting the lowdown on São Paulo. Sure your clients really 'need' to go there?

Boris, any nice locations near you could recommend to John as an alternative? Waterfront, pool, smaller guns?

Boris
 Email

11/30/2002
02:24:37

My vote goes to Rio. Not only it is immesurably more attractive as a tourist destination, but guns are smaller and are sometimes replaced by knifes, boxcutters, and even pieces of glass...

USCIT

11/30/2002
06:50:01

Sounds more like it, Boris. Get a couple of bodyguards with chain mail kevlar shirts and there'd be no problem. Of course, I guess that's kind of high hatting it, if no one else wears shirts.

Randy

12/02/2002
11:58:50

John - take a look at Ubatuba..not too far away from Sao Paulo, beautiful beaches..between Sao Paulo and Rio..I heard it is beautiful..and I have seen photos and talked to friends who have gone. Maybe your clients could set up there and purchase some big guns for a day trip in to the big city!

Santista

12/02/2002
12:12:40

Ubatuba is pretty, but even prettier and closer is Ilha Bela (203 km from SP), a luscious island midway São Paulo and Rio. For a closer place from São Paulo there is also Guarujá -- a mere 88 km, aproximately 50 miles from downtown São Paulo--, which used to be the refuge of rich Paulistanos (those from São Paulo city).

john
 Email

12/02/2002
17:13:47

This is great guys. Thanks for the info so far. It certainly is an eye opener for me. I've been talking to my clients and they are examining their 'options'. I don't think they knew the size of the city. They were acting on a tip from a friend that had visited Sao Paulo many, many years ago.

Tore

12/02/2002
18:20:50

John!! Check out this URL for info on Ubatuba:

http://www.lengnet.com/ubatuba/

P 1

Back to our cover