Back to our cover

Brazzil Forum [ return ]
FromMessage
Patinho

12/02/2002
21:29:44
Subject: Advice about Moving
IP: Logged

ok.. so I am looking for an outside opinion here. Maybe it is a "shot in the dark" because I looking for such a specific answer, anyway... here goes nothin'.

I have visited Brazil a couple of times, so I am familiar with the culture and all, but each time I stayed with the same "middle class" freind. If I move to Brazil I will be on my own and will be renting my own apartment.

In the American mid-west, most average apartments are equiped with a working shower, plumbing, refrigerator, some type of A/C unit and heat. The water from the tap is drinkable (even though most prefer bottled). That's about all that is "guaranteed".

What I am asking is, if I was to rent an average apartment in Brazil (Nordeste). What would it most likely be like? Would I have to survive on bottled water only? Or are there other means? Obviously heat is not needed and an A/C unit will not be included.

Will there be any other surprises I need to be made aware of?

Any details about renting an average apartment in the Nordeste (Teresina specifically) would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

12/03/2002
10:57:23
RE: Advice about Moving

Water is usually not drinkable from the tap in all of brazil, we usually buy filters to purify it. As to the rest, it really depends on how backwards the place you're staying is. I think that you can get plumbed water, eletricity, ... but it is not guaranted.

Down to Earth

12/03/2002
13:14:42

Ze you seem to know your stuff, how are the roads in Brazil? Is it ok to go drive around Brazil or is it better to travel on coaches/planes? Do most places take credit cards if you are not going in the main touristy parts but in smaller towns or villages? Do you need to travel with cash always? But isn’t this dangerous for muggings? Apart from physical traits what is it that makes you a target on the streets of Brazil?

Eeyore
 Email

12/03/2002
13:22:31

Down to earth - Brasil doesn't need and definitely does not want you to visit. It wouldn't be GOOD or RIGHT to see a wimp like you experience a country while asking such stupid questions.

GOOD and RIGHT, obrigado!

12/03/2002
16:06:16

If you mean by safety on the road the chance of you being mugged, I'd say that it is low, if you mean the state of conservation of the roads, it varies from perfect, to very, very bad. I usually do my travels by car, but I don't travel alone, nor with inexperienced drivers on the wheel.

Yes, most places do accept credit cards, except small towns or villages.

How much cash you travel with is really on a personal basis, it depends on where, when, and who. I really can't see a situation that requires you to walk loaded. 50-100 R$ usually covers most expenses that cannot be paid with credit cards.

On the muggin subject, you are a target if:

1) You speak loud and clearly in a foreign language.

2) You wear foreign clothes, with no national similar.

3) You have a pink tone to your skin that is akin to those of english or german descendanscy. (Most of our european immigrants do not have this tone)

4) You are wearing clothes that are not apropriate to the climate.

5) You are on the wrong place, on the wrong time.

If you are mugged:

1) Open you wallet and give a 10 R$ or higher note.

2) Don't show any aggressive emotions.

3) Try smiling and act friendly.

4) Don't speak in any foreign languages near your mugger, or he will think that you will try something.

Some information that you may regard as usefull:

1) Rapers are usually killed if they are put in jail because it is considered hideous even between criminals.

2) Muggin occurs in Brazil because they want your money to live, and not because of any sadistical tendencies, so don't disregard them as human beings.

3) Muggers are not assassins, and this line is rarely breached in Brazil.

4) It is just money, and if you don't walk loaded it is nothing that you will miss that much.

Down to earth

12/03/2002
16:44:36

Eyewhoore, in that case I can only assume that you have been sent into exile with such inane comments. When did they kick out of Brazil?

Ze thanks for that list. That will be really useful. You seem like you’ve been around, but I guess it’s just a question of spending some time in the country and picking up tricks and observing what goes on around me. Are you currently living in Brazil?

cheers

12/03/2002
19:45:25

I've only lived for 3.5 years abroad, in England when I was a toddler. The rest of my life I've lived in Rio.

Patinho

12/03/2002
21:44:04

I love it how these posts go off in all kinds of directions. But I would like to "re-ask" my question. Thanks

Adam

12/03/2002
23:07:47

Patinho, you are prob. already aware of this, but there are
conditions that may make it difficult to move there. I think
you need family there, or a business, or donate $200,000. Im
not 100% sure about the specifics, but at the very least you
can go there for 6 mo.s at a time. When do you plan on
doing this? (Sorry, I dont know much about apartments in
that area)

USCIT

12/03/2002
23:34:00

I went to the google search engine (www.google.com) typed in teresina and got over 83,000 hits. Most in Portuguese, which I don't read. I did notice that a few however were for real estate, rentals and such.

Or do it the fun way. Go to Parnaiba (or any of the river towns) buy an old boat, sail it up river and live on it.

Patinho

12/04/2002
00:33:02

After reading your post in "Why do you love Brazil" I have decided that you and I have more in common that I would like to admit.

Anyway.. I have done extensive research on how to live in Brazil and I am going on a work visa. I can't go into specifics about it, just know that it's taken care of.

USCIT--

I have just recently worked out my apartment problem. I will be renting one from my best freind's father.

I like your Parnaiba idea. I have visited there twice and I love it there.

On a related note, after I visited Jericoacoara, Ceara and seeing how many gringos from Europe (and other places) returned to open up hotels and resturaunts, I researched doing that. However, the Brazilian govenment has declared the area a Federal Reserve and there is no more expansion/contruction allowed in Jeri. That's probably a good thing, so as that beautiful paradise doesn't become too large and overrun with tourists.

P 1

Back to our cover