12/06/2002
04:22:30
Subject: Read any Good Books Lately?
IP: Logged

The best book I have ever read about Brazil was
"BRAZIL-Travelers' Tales Guides"
published by Traveler's Tales Inc,
collected by Haddad & Dogget

This is a great collection of short stories written by people who have visited Brazil. I highly recommend it for anyone having "saudades" for Brazil. The book truly brings back memories and encourages new ones. It really encompasses a feel for Brazil.

Now that the "book report" is over, my question is: What book(s) would all of you recommend? I am not talking about Tourists Guides and those sort of things.... but books that really bring across the emotion, passion, and beauty of Brazil.

Randy Paul
 Email

12/06/2002
06:12:50
RE: Read any Good Books Lately?

"The Brazilians" by Joseph Page, "The Brazil Reader" edited by Robert Levine, "Death Without Weeping" by Nancy Scheper-Hughes, "Vale of Tears" by Robert Levine, "Rebellion in the Backlands" by Euclides da Cunha (excellent translatation version of "Os Sertőes"), "Black into White" by Thomas Skidmore.

an observer

12/06/2002
07:03:57

“The war against population”, by Dr. Jacqueline Kasun, Ph.D.

http://www.ignatius.com/books/wap-p.htm

This book outlines the coercive activity of the UNFPA (United Nations Fund for Population Activities) around the world (including Brazil). Regardless of your position on the subject of population control (birth control and/or abortion), you should reed this book. You will learn about the coercive tactics of the UNFPA as they violate the rights of individuals, communities and countries in order to promote their agenda of extreme population control.

USCIT

12/06/2002
07:31:27

You might try some of Márcio Souza's books. Not that I claim him to be a 'great' writer of brazilian works, but he is a resident writer working from a brazilian mentality that has been translated into English. Unlike those from elsewhere in the world who are too often just guessing at the root of their subject. The thing I find interesting is seeing such as that which HE considers a joke (whether I think it funny or not) and his ideas of what makes a book work in his own country. A very brief cut and paste review of him is below. The fact that he is from Manaus also interested me. One often finds people refering to those from Rio or Sáo Paulo, but seldom anyone from the heart of the amazon.

Márcio Souza was born in 1946 in Manaus in the Brazilian state of Amazonas. His first novel The Emperor of the Amazon, 1976, set at the time of the rubber boom, was immensely successful. His other works include the novels Mad Maria, 1980, Operation Silence, 1980, The Resistible Rise of Boto Tucuxi, 1982, The Order of the Day, 1983, Condolences, 1986, The End of the Third World, 1990, and collection of short stories Divine Caligraphy, 1994. His latest novel Fidelity, 1997, is the first in a planned tetralogy based on the history of Brasil.

Adam

12/06/2002
09:12:57

A little while ago, I posted a thread about the book "Brazil"
by John Updike, which I highly reccomend. Also, I have read
the book you mentioned in your post patinho, it was really
good, especially the short ones about capoeira, the train
ride, and getting mugged in Carnaval. Actually, those are
the only ones I can remember..

Patinho

12/06/2002
19:43:40

The ones about arastao/Carnival and Capoeira was among my favorites too....

Did you remember the one about the tourists in the 70's that overstayed their tourist visa... when the Federal Police found out.... the agree upon fee was to sit play a little guitar and recant thier travels of Brazil..... what great story.

Adam

12/06/2002
20:40:35

Yeah, remember now, that was prob. the best one, I think it
was a couple and they played guitar while all the police
gathered around..haha.. anyways, that book should be
turned into a series.

P 1

Back to our cover