Brazzil Forum [ return ]
FromMessage
David Russell
 Email

12/23/2002
12:08:31
Subject: Getting a Student Visa for the United States
IP: Logged

I have a good friend in Rio that is trying to get a Student Visa to study here in the U.S.. She tells me it is virtually impossible. Is this true, and if not, how does one do this.

Peace,

Dav

Joe

12/23/2002
13:56:10
RE: Getting a Student Visa for the United States

Dav, is your friend currently enrolled in a university in Rio?

David Russell
 Email

12/23/2002
13:58:04

No. She wants to study in the U.S. Is that the wrong order to do things?

Joe

12/23/2002
14:42:58

I have no firsthand experience with this, Dav, but it seems that becoming an exchange student would make things a lot easier. That is, go to a university in Brazil for a year, invstigate their foreign-exchange program, and let them do all the paperwork with the U.S. school. Otherwise, your friend is just trying to get accepted into an American university just like everyone else. Student visas ARE difficult to get -- if they weren't, people would exploit that route.

Roberto
 Email

12/23/2002
19:22:58

I was just doing a little research to find out how to go about getting a tourist visa for my friend in Rio and found out that the US Counsulate in Rio has their own website. You will find some of the information you are looking for there, I dont have the address so just search for it on Google. I e-mailed them with specific questions and they were very promt and helpfull with their reply. Good luck.

Roberto

Patinho

12/23/2002
21:34:21

First of all, how old is your freind? If they are high school age, then there are several private programs in Brazil that setup the time, location, school, visa... everything.
And again, if they are high school age (under 18), then there is no need to currently be enrolled in a school/university.

But if the person is older.... I have no idea. Listen to Joe I guess....

Good Luck

Joe Gahona

12/24/2002
12:53:10

Patinho is right, Dav. I misread your post and thought you said she was over 18.

Point is, find an organization -- beit a private program like Patinho mentioned, or a university that offers an exchange program -- to get the ball rolling.

David Russell
 Email

12/25/2002
08:55:03

The young Lady is 22, and has taken some college courses in Brazil(Rio). Any names of oganizations that can make this happen?

Dav

euvouparabrasilape
 Email

2/14/2003
17:16:56

the kellogg institute for international studies at the university of notre dame has an exchange program with the pontifical catholic university of rio (PUC-Rio). two brazilian students came last year, and probably some more this year. look at www.nd.edu/~kellogg if you are interested.

P 1

Back to our cover