Back to our cover

Brazzil Forum [ return ]
FromMessage
Macunaima
 Email

1/09/2003
08:08:39
Subject: Brazilian culture - does it exist?
IP: Logged

If so, what would you consider to be its essential elements and why?

1/09/2003
09:17:00
RE: Brazilian culture - does it exist?

Fernando B
 Email

1/09/2003
11:29:10

By definition culture is a complex collection of patterns shared by a society or social group which manifests by rules, crendices, values, creations and institutions.

Macunaima
 Email

1/09/2003
12:36:39

WHAT, exactly, is Brazilian culture?

Fernando sez: "By definition culture is a complex collection of patterns shared by a society or social group which manifests by rules, crendices, values, creations and institutions."

Well, that's a rather broad definition of culture, but one I can accept, I guess.

So what, exactly, are some of these patterns in Brazil and why should they be described as Brazilian?

1/09/2003
13:08:18

Get yourself a few books and find the answer yourself, no complete answer will be given to you in the limits of this forum.

Macunaima
 Email

1/09/2003
19:15:40

Zé, after 15 years of living here and 20 working in anthropology and Luso-Brazilian studies, I have my ideas what it's all about. I'm interested in hearing those of other people.

Just curious, however: what would YOU prescribe as "good books" on this topic?

1/09/2003
22:35:27

I have no academic knowledge on this area, only practical. I consider most books written by "Rubem Fonseca" as good portraits of brazilian culture.

Macunaima
 Email

1/10/2003
04:35:00

I'm not looking for academic knowledge. I'm looking for peoples' opinions. If I wanted academic opinions, I'd read Roberto da Matta.

C'mon folks! Everyone's always spouting off about "Brazilian culture" on this board... So what do y'all consider it to be?

Pedro

1/10/2003
05:01:52

Brazil has always been a mixed country, receiving influences from all over the world. So, answering your question, I believe there is not such a thing as a BRAZILIAN CULTURE, but FRAGMENTS of the cultures of the multiple human groups that constituded Brazil. Our culture is inherited. Do you believe that capoeira and feijoada were invented in Brazil?

A common myth concerning brazilians is to state that we are "creative". That´s false, we seldom invent anything original, we just copy and adapt.

Alex Furtado
 Email

1/10/2003
05:53:22

Cultura: conjunto de estratégias materiais e imaterias que visam a coesão de um grupo e o embate com outros grupos e forças da natureza. e que tendem a serem transmitidas ao longo do tempo de uma geração a outra.

Cultura Brasileira: um burro não é a mesma coisa que um asno ou uma égua. Muitas das práticas socias brasileiras híbridas são úteis no contexto social brasileiro, não posso concordar que sejam cópias, mas criações originais a partir de elementos culturais de outros povos que aqui miscigenaram física e culturalmente. O bumba-meu-boi é um exemplo desta originalidade.

abraços,
Alex Furtado.

Fernando B
 Email

1/10/2003
15:25:41

So, Pedro, who invented Capoeira and Feijoada? You are not going to say that were africans. right? They were created by African descendent in Brazil. Show me anything that says that Capoeira and Feijoada were created/invented in other place. I think tha culture is very complex, the way you talk, behave, dress which identifies a group or society. Can vary from region to region in the same country. Who was born first the egg or the chicken?

Pedro

1/11/2003
07:35:44

Capoeira was created somewhere in Africa (maybe Benin). It disappered from its birth place, but was preserved by brazilian slaves.

There was a dish pork + black bean somewhere in Africa, and also a well-known french dish identical to feijoada (I missed the name) except that it is done with white beans. Then, both slaves and their owners knew feijoada-like dishes. The tale of feijoada being invented in senzalas is just a legend.

Fernando B
 Email

1/11/2003
19:08:42

So what? Everybody link Capoeira and Feijoada to Brazil. Did you know that the first radio was invented by a Brazilian Priest, gaúcho Roberto Landell de Moura in 1900? But he couldn't get his Patent, why? Because he was considered nuts! So Marconi in 1906 presented his radio and became the radio inventor. And if I tell you that the first typewritter was also an invention by an Brazilian? But everybody knows that Remington was the typewritter inventor. So who invented the radio and the typewritter?

Pedro

1/12/2003
12:00:37

You touched an important subject - the difference between the CAPABILITY TO INVENT and the USEFULNESS OF THE INVENTION.

Tha capability to invent may occur randomly in Brazil or in any other place - there are inventors everywhere - but inventions such as the radio or the airplane had no use for the kind of society that existed in Brazil at early XX's, but when they appeared in Europe and US, their importance was immediatly recognized.

USCIT

1/12/2003
13:10:56

Good response Pedro. Leonardo de Vinci actually designed the concept of the helicoptor back in the early 1500's, but it took almost 500 years before anyone made one fly. An idea is only as good as the uses put to it.

Fernando B
 Email

1/12/2003
16:04:14

I Agree with you guys, but when you say Capoeira and Feijoada has roots elsewhere, doesn't matter because, they were kept and use by Brazilians, so for me they are Brazilian culture brought by Africans. That's why for me Culture is so complex.

P 1

Back to our cover