Brazil President Celebrates Carnaval Tossing Condoms to Crowd

Lula at Rio's Carnaval distributing condoms Minimum clothing plus bubbles, feathers and glitter exposing spectacular bodies blended to offer the first night of parades in Rio do Janeiro's Carnaval, as the city's samba schools battled for top honors in what Brazilians proudly consider the world's largest party.

The first night of parades lasted from Sunday into early Monday morning with Brazilian celebrities and slum dwellers dancing side by side and with the presence of President Lula da Silva the first president in some fifteen years to attend the Rio parades.

Taking place over two nights, the parades feature the top 12 samba schools competing in front of 80,000 spectators at the Sambadrome stadium. The winning school, which is announced on Wednesday, receives no prize but earns bragging rights and massive attention from the local news media.

The reigning champion, Beija-Flor, paraded early Monday with an elaborate presentation on the history of mankind's relationship with water and bathing. The school used 7,000 liters of water on its floats, in the form of waterfalls, fountains and a pyramid that mid-parade was transformed into a beach. Beija-Flor has won five of the last six titles.

Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, dressed in a white shirt and Panama hat, stayed until early dawn, five in the morning and was accompanied by his wife Marisa, the governor of the state of Rio do Janeiro, the mayor of the city and other ministers and authorities.

"Marvelous," said Lula when asked about the parade. However he also had messages: "No excess drinking; drink responsibly, drink socially and don't drive; please enjoy yourselves but with no violence or knocked-out for driving."

Later the Brazilian president also took the anti-AIDS campaign into his own hands when he began tossing out condoms to Carnaval revelers early Monday.

A presidential spokesman says Lula wanted to show the importance of Brazil's campaign to prevent the spread of AIDS. Brazil is handing out 65 million free condoms this month; that's up from the usual 45 million.

Brazil is buying 1.2 billion condoms this year for its program, making it the world's biggest government buyer of prophylactics. The spokesman talked on condition of anonymity.

Mercopress

Comments   

0 #81 limitations typing in this blog .... : and P togetherAugustus 2009-03-05 19:08
Obviously the link will not be properly posted because of the symbos associated with one of the above emoticons
too bad

: and P together = :P
above
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File: Pt-br-República_Federativa_do_Brasil.ogg
0 #80 Attempting to provide correct link Augustus 2009-03-05 19:03
Hopefully this will work out...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pt-br-República_Federativa_do_Brasil.ogg
0 #79 GENERAL (BASIC) INFORMATION ABOUT BRAZIL (INCLUDING LANGUAGE)Augustus 2009-03-05 18:58
With the exception of the Guianas (which native languages are English/Dutch/French), Brazil is the only PORTUGUESE speaking country in South America, and comprises about 3/5 of South America...
FROM WIKIPEDIA
Quote:
Brazil (Portuguese: Brasil),, officially the Federative Republic of Brazil (Portuguese: República Federativa do Brasil), is a country in South America. It is the fifth largest country by geographical area, occupying nearly half of South America, the fifth most populous country, and the fourth most populous democracy in the world. Bounded by the Atlantic Ocean on the east, Brazil has a coastline of over 7,491 kilometers (4,655 mi). It is bordered on the north by Venezuela, Suriname, Guyana and the overseas department of French Guiana; on the northwest by Colombia; on the west by Bolivia and Peru; on the southwest by Argentina and Paraguay and on the south by Uruguay. Numerous archipelagos are part of the Brazilian territory, such as Fernando de Noronha, Rocas Atoll, Saint Peter and Paul Rocks, and Trindade and Martim Vaz.
Brazil was a colony of Portugal from the landing of Pedro Álvares Cabral in 1500 until its independence in 1822. Initially independent as the Brazilian Empire, the country has been a republic since 1889, although the bicameral legislature; now called Congress, dates back to 1824, when the first constitution was ratified. Its current Constitution defines Brazil as a Federal Republic. The Federation is formed by the union of the Federal District, the 26 States, and the 5,564 Municipalities.
Brazil is the world's tenth largest economy at market exchange rates and the ninth largest in purchasing power. Economic reforms have given the country new international projection. It is a founding member of the United Nations and the Union of South American Nations. A predominantly Roman Catholic, Portuguese-speaking, and multiethnic society, Brazil is also home to a diversity of wildlife, natural environments, and extensive natural resources in a variety of protected habitats.
FOR THOSE CURIOUS HOW BRAZILIANS PRONOUNCE THE FULL NAME OF THEIR COUNTRY - IN PORTUGUESE ---> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pt-br-República_Federativa_do_Brasil.ogg
0 #78 Let 'Em Eat CakeRic 2009-02-28 03:29
Hypocrisy? One set of rules for the great unwashed electorate (everyone) and another for me? In short, would Marisa be comfortable if her husband got tanked every carnaval and had sex, condom or not, with anyone and everyone in sight? Whether you answer Yes or No, assuming you know them well enough to answer the question, you loosey gooseys lose.

Slop the hogs. Throw the live mice to the oncas. Give the bones to the wow-wows. Throw mama from the train a kiss. And don't forget the rubbers for the hedonists. None of them can help themselves. Just don't get out there among them and do it with them. And unlike Itamar, be careful about upskirt fotos while up on the pal-anky with chicks who are know for getting with the program.
0 #77 carlos wutke barwick 2009-02-27 19:36
AWESOME !!!!! way to go Lula !!!! I would do he same and pay families not to have more than 2 kids... also free spading i would do....
0 #76 joao and augustusasp 2009-02-27 14:47
joao, far out, that lula was flying over head...i was meeting with some important people also, so i had do turn down crashing the presidetial apearance

augustus, thank you so much for naturalising me, since im on the run from the cia and police federal....i trust no extradition papers will be signed...like the cuban boxer , miami wont send him back......
0 #75 aspJoão da Silva 2009-02-27 10:40
Quote:
that dont look like costas style in that post above there.....it looks cut and pasted...
No, it was Dr.Costa himself.Nobody can imitate his style.He just forgot to give best regards and sign. :D

Talking about Mayors, P.M., etc; did you get to see our President today? He saw me from the Army chopper he was riding. He recognized and waved at me and I waved back. I am seriously thinking of changing my party affiliation. Even though I was invited for the meeting, unfortunately I had to decline as I had to meet other important folks.
0 #74 JOAOAugustus 2009-02-27 04:33
That has never been his style
He is either busy, or having difficulties adding entries here....
0 #73 AugustusJoão da Silva 2009-02-27 04:29
Quote:
I would never have "behaved" in that fashion....
That is one of our greatest qualities or defects depending on who evaluates us. ;-)

Do you think Ch.c is doing "Cú doce"? ;-)
0 #72 coitadinho... further commentsAugustus 2009-02-27 04:02
Joao.... I had not forgotten the word - how could I? even not using PORT every day...
I was just expressing great surprise that you said I should have behaved that way.... thus implying (the meaning must have changed)
I would never have "behaved" in that fashion....

Add comment

Security code
Refresh

Who's Online

We have 6619 guests and no members online

Statistics

Users
Articles
Articles View Hits

----------

cheap cocktail dresses

----------

Brazilian Male Enhancement Review at Breastsenlargementreview.com

----------

Brazilian Breasts Enlargement Cream

----------

Brazilian Top Breast Enlargement Reviews

----------

Brazilian Male Enhancement Pills at Breastsenlargementguide.com

----------

bruidsmeisjes jurken

----------

vestidos de noche

----------

ballkleider

----------

Cheap Prom Dresses

----------

Churrasco Equipment and Brazilian Meat Skewers

----------

Vestidos Noiva em Weddingmart.pt

----------

Australia Fashion Online Outlet store

----------

Robe de cocktail

----------

Our good partner Everbuying.com provides wide selections of products at best price for worldwide free shipping.

----------

Cheap Dre Beats

----------

Buy Cheap Nike Mercurial Soccer Cleats from MercurialCity now!

----------

Shopping Reviews

----------

----------

robe de cocktail

----------

Cheap Wedding Dresses

----------

bruidsjurken

----------

Find Me Handbags

----------