Brazil Says Solution for Global Crisis Is Free Trade and Competition

zzz Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, the president of Brazil, is urging leading economies to complete stalled global trade talks warning that protectionism could tip the economic crisis into chaos.

"If the United States, Europe, Brazil close themselves, the crisis could become much bigger and produce chaos instead of a solution," Lula told industry leaders Monday in São Paulo during a visit by Jan Peter Balkenende, the prime minister of the Netherlands.

Brazil said last month it may challenge the legality of a "Buy American" clause in the US economic stimulus package at the World Trade Organization, or WTO.

Lula also intends to speak against global protectionism and for the completion of the WTO's Doha round at the Group of 20 meeting of leading economies in London next month.

"The Doha round was almost finished but we had elections in the United States and then India and politics dominated. Now, nothing stands in the way," said Lula. "The Doha round is more of a political than a financial decision."

The seven-year-old talks intended to further global free trade collapsed in July over differences between India and the United States on safeguards to protect farmers from a flood of food imports.

As a major commodities exporter, Brazil has been a key player in the Doha round and had hoped the G20 would honor a November pledge in Washington to avoid protectionism.

The United States Trade Representative warned on Monday there would be no agreement on the Doha round until other countries made stronger commitments to open their markets to US goods.

Lula frequently urges other countries to pour cash into anti-cyclical measures to help keep their economies afloat amid the global crisis but has himself refrained from massive public spending plans at home that would increase government debt.

"The solution to this crisis is more (free) market, more free trade and more competition - like the developed world always said over the past 30 years," underlined Lula da Silva.

However on a more sober tone Lula speaking at his radio program "Breakfast with the President" predicted that the Brazilian declining job market will begin to feel a difference later this month.

Brazil's manufacturing sector has been hard hit by the global slowdown with declining activity in steel, auto and aircraft industries leading to massive losses of jobs.

"I'm convinced and optimistic that we were the last (country) into the crisis and we'll be first out of the crisis," he underlined pointing out to the potential of the domestic market.

"Brazil is undergoing a slowdown not a recession, as most other countries" he added.

Mercopress

Comments   

0 #11 By the wayThe cure for Ch C 2009-03-05 17:11
Now you have really shown that you are a greedy bastard who qualifies 'winners' as who has the most money...you are a pathetic human being....proven once again!!
0 #10 don't worry, the swiss jackass will be eating all his words one dayThe cure for Ch C 2009-03-05 17:08
First of all idiot, Switzerland is BY FAR the greatest tax haven for the rich in the world...you are completely out of touch with reality if you don't know that. The following provides a nice chart that even you can understand.

http://www.economist.com/daily/chartgallery/displaystory.cfm?story_id=13208826

If either one of the the two major Swiss private banks (UBS and Credit Suiss) failed, the country would go bankrupt as Iceland did. And we already know UBS is in big trouble.

Here is one article of several i've read stating this:
http://www.economist.com/daily/chartgallery/displaystory.cfm?story_id=13208826

Do your own research on how the Swiss economy is completely dependent on the financial sector.

Really...stop wasting time on Brazil and worry about your own Racist, Money-laundering country.
0 #9 CHC – Chronicle Herpes Carrier... 2009-03-04 04:55
Your verbosity always exceeds your intellect…

Ferment in Peace,

Costinha
0 #8 Just imagine every bank allowed to have corrupt/dirty money deposits......Switzerland would cease to exist, as we know it! ch.c. 2009-03-03 21:54
So wrong !
1) There are over 60 Tax Havens or Offshore Countries. Or around 25 % of the nations around the world...IF YOU DID NOT KNOW !
2) What about the USA State of Delaware ? smiles ! Used by both foreign and U.S. firms including FOREIGN individuals ?
3) What are the brazilians PRIME Banking Capitals ? Zurich & Geneva...or......Miami and New -York.....in your view ?
4) Are you so sure the Florida condos or houses owned by Brazilians or South Americans in general are :
- not from drug money ?
- not from corruption ?
- TAX DECLARED IN THEIR LOCAL COUNTRIES ?
5) Same as 4 for bank accounts owned by Brazilians or South Americans....in Florida or NY BANKS, or UK banks....OUTSIDE OF SWISS BANKS AS YOU UNDERLINE !!!!
6) all the above is just as true for any nationals, not only Brazilians or South Americans. It even include Swiss, GERMANS, FRENCH people having bankssssssssss accounts or brokeragessssssss accounts at Goldman, Morgan Stanley, Merrill, Citigroup, JP Morgan or just name it.
Ohhhhhh.......I am one of them ! with big smiles ! Suffice to set up a $ 1'500.- Panama, Delaware, BVI company ! And then set up the account under the offshore company name at Goldman, MS, Citigroup or just name it ! And just as true for any French, German, or just name its passport country !
7) And what about U.K., Ireland and Luxembourg, Cyprus...EACH OF THEM A EU MEMBER ?????? smiles
8) And what about BRAZIL, ARGENTINA OR ANY SOUTH AMERICAN COUNTRY....if a foreign individual set up an account under a foreign offshore company in....Banco Itau either in Bahamas or SP or Rio ? Same for these individuals regardless of their passport name having the same set up with whatever Brazilian, Spanish, Italian, German or just name them..... BANKS ???????????

As to myself and many others around the globe....DONT WORRY ! We may as well have a set up (I did not say an account) in Delaware. It costs even less than elsewhere and the "maintenance" of keeping live such companies is US$ 100.- ( YESS...ONE HUNDRED) PER YEAR !!!!!!!!!!!
REGARDLESS IF THE ASSETS ARE US$ 1'000.- OR 1'000'000'000'000'000'0000'000.--.
And then these Delaware companies could then set up accounts in UBS New York, London, Zurich, Geneva...or at U.S. banks...or at Spanish, Germans etc etc...banks. Or at Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley or just name it ! We all would be subject to...DELAWARE LAWS...REGARDLESS OF OBAMA, SARKO OR MERKEL HUMORS !
The President of the USA CANNOT CHANGE...U.S.A. STATES LAWS, NOT EVEN WASHINGTON LAWMAKERS CAN !!!!!
States laws are made by STATES lawmakers.....until further notice !!!!!

lets face it :
- jealousy and envy is the name of the game ! Every loser wants part of the winners cake ! Human nature at its normal behavior.
What losers cant do they must TAKE it one way or the other from those who succeeded. The same is just as true from the critics of emerging nations to developed nations ! It is normal for emerging nations to have a trade surplus...one way or the other. also normal that developed nations finance emerging nations industries and create jobs because emerging nations were so lazy for so many decades ! No difference at all !!!!!!! Facts are that ALL emerging nations jobs in the past 6 years were created by both foreign investments in local companies PLUS foreign companies setting shops in these emerging countries.
Ohhh and of course also mostly using developed nations know how, expertises and technologies....OBVIOUSLY !
BRAZIL COULD NOT produce as much grains as they do, without the advanced seeds, pesticides, fongicides, tractors, sprayers, harvesters, trucks..... MADE IN THEIR COUNTRIES........ BY FOREIGN COMPANIES..AND MOSTLY WITH FOREIGN MONEY...ALSO OBVIOUSLY !

ENJOY.....COSTINHA !!!!!

I cant stop....LAUGHING.....even if the Sharks of the World succeed in their arrogance. We will simply re-adjust and restructure
DIFFERENTLY !
We have brains...and we make good use of them !
We are winners...and we will beat losers at their own tricky games.

Once more DONT WORRY for me ! I can change my set up in less than a week.
SWISS AND OTHER FOREIGN INSTITUTIONS INVOLVED BITTEN BY THESE SHARKS WILL NEED MORE TIME, BUT THEY WONT KILL US !

THOSE WITH MONEY ARE ALWAYS SMARTER THAN THOSE WITHOUT MONEY...BY DEFINITION ! IN ALL COUNTRIES.
Those with money are fed up paying for incompetence at the governments levels ! At the governments levels they just know how to spend....not spend wisely...sadly !
As I stated, even in Obama "wise" budget plan, the country debts will double by 2019 !!!!!!!!!
Ohhhh this is the rosy scenario, provided ALL his proposals are accepted. Just guess what the final outcome will be.
By 2019 the U.S. total debts wont be $ 23 trillion...but most probably around 27-30 trillion!
Meaning nearly 2 times the annual country GDP....even assuming a 3 % AVERAGE growth rate until 2019...using Obama assumptions !

OBAMA real name ? OHHLALA !

:D ;-) :D ;-) :D ;-) :D ;-) :D ;-) :D ;-)
0 #7 João da Silva 2009-03-03 12:32
Quote:
AMERICANS OR EUROPEANS ARE NOT SMARTER THAN BRAZILIANS; THEY ARE JUST MORE MOTIVATED AND LESS MANIPULATED.

LIFE IS EASIER WHEN THE GOVERNMENT IS MADE FOR THE PEOPLE.
IN BRAZIL THE GOVT. IS MADE FOR THE POLITICIANS.
Quote of the week, Anderson and my congrats. You must be among the 16% of the Brasilians. ;-) :D ;-)
0 #6 LIFEAnderson 2009-03-03 11:05
IN AMERICA THEY LOWER ELECTRONICS, CARS ETC...

IN BRAZIL THEY CHARGE 100%. SO DONT ASK WHY WE ARE STILL BEHIND THEM ON THE RANKS.

AMERICANS OR EUROPEANS ARE NOT SMARTER THAN BRAZILIANS; THEY ARE JUST MORE MOTIVATED AND LESS MANIPULATED.

LIFE IS EASIER WHEN THE GOVERNMENT IS MADE FOR THE PEOPLE.
IN BRAZIL THE GOVT. IS MADE FOR THE POLITICIANS.
0 #5 Yes We CanAnderson 2009-03-03 07:27
Good Idea Lula!!!

Now we will be able to afford more daily products and perhaps imported cars.

Oh wait... does it apply to us too?
0 #4 COSTAAugustus 2009-03-03 07:25
You are a riot!!! LOL
I see your name and I start laughing, even before reading the contents...
I'm afraid you are right again, though you may have omitted the word "Not" somewhere... The point being, without access to huge sums of money, mostly in private account of foreigners, the source of which is AT BEST questionable, and most likely corrupt, than the Swiss Banks would – very likely - be in greater trouble than Citibank & Bank of America together....
Actually I seem to have read somehwere that UBS (Union Bank of Switzerland, appears to be experiencing some "difficutties.....
By the way.... Look at what I found in the internet below (about a division of UBS- WHAT IS THAT ALL ABOUT?) More secrets!!!!
Quote:
UBS Investment Bank
For legal reasons the contents of these webpages cannot be made available to UK residents. To access the site please select your country of residence from the list below.
0 #3 BUTT…BUTT….BUTT……Free Trade & Competition???... 2009-03-03 04:19
Just imagine every bank allowed to have corrupt/dirty money deposits… Switzerland would cease to exist, as we know it!

Costa
0 #2 Lula probably meant that the solution is "FREEDOM FROM TRUTH AND (MORE) CORRUPTION)"Augustus 2009-03-03 02:14
That's what I first read anyway, before I put on my glasses... Talk about "first impressions"....

Add comment

Security code
Refresh

Who's Online

We have 5934 guests and no members online

Statistics

Users
Articles
Articles View Hits

----------

cheap cocktail dresses

----------

Brazilian Male Enhancement Review at Breastsenlargementreview.com

----------

Brazilian Breasts Enlargement Cream

----------

Brazilian Top Breast Enlargement Reviews

----------

Brazilian Male Enhancement Pills at Breastsenlargementguide.com

----------

bruidsmeisjes jurken

----------

vestidos de noche

----------

ballkleider

----------

Cheap Prom Dresses

----------

Churrasco Equipment and Brazilian Meat Skewers

----------

Vestidos Noiva em Weddingmart.pt

----------

Australia Fashion Online Outlet store

----------

Robe de cocktail

----------

Our good partner Everbuying.com provides wide selections of products at best price for worldwide free shipping.

----------

Cheap Dre Beats

----------

Buy Cheap Nike Mercurial Soccer Cleats from MercurialCity now!

----------

Shopping Reviews

----------

----------

robe de cocktail

----------

Cheap Wedding Dresses

----------

bruidsjurken

----------

Find Me Handbags

----------