Brazil Sends High-Level Team to London to Probe Death of Brazilian Killed by Police

Brazzil Magazine covers

The Brazilian government expressed indignation over new information published in the media about the death of Brazilian Jean Charles de Menezes in London and is sending a high-level a team to Great Britain to deal with the case.

Jean Charles, 27, was murdered by the British police on July 22. The policemen mistook the Brazilian for a terrorist that took part in the bomb attack at the London subway, the previous day.


In a note released Thursday, August 18, Brazil’s Ministry of Foreign Relations says that “the most recent news, accompanied by images of strong impact, concerning the tragic circumstances that resulted in the death of the Brazilian citizen Jean Charles de Menezes worsen the Brazilian government’s feeling of indignation.”


Next Monday, August 22, the Brazilian government will send two representatives to London: deputy attorney general of the Republic and the general corregidor of the Federal Public Ministry, Wagner Gonçalves, and the director-adjunct of the actives recovery department and international juridical cooperation of the Justice Department, Márcio Pereira Pinto Garcia.


Both are going to meet with representatives of London’s Independent Commission on Complaints against the Police (IPCC) and with the  Metropolitan Police deputy assistant commissioner, John Yates, besides other British authorities.


“The Brazilian government expects to obtain ample explanation, including those concerning news recently published by the press,” says the Foreign Relations Ministry’s note.


The Brazilian press published this week documents and photos of the secret investigation leaked about Jean Charles’s death that show discrepancies between the official version of London’s police and testimonies of witnesses and new news reports.


Brazil’s Minister of Foreign Relations, Celso Amorim, on July 25, had already met in the British capital with the United Kingdom’s Foreign  Secretary, Jack Straw. At that time, Amorim talked about “the shock and the Brazilian government’s perplexity”, according to the Ministry’s note


ABr

Tags:

You May Also Like

Brazzil Magazine covers

KFC’s Secret Ingredients Include Soy That’s Destroying the Amazon, Says Greenpeace

Greenpeace volunteers unfurled a 300 square meter banner in a massive area of deforestation ...

Brazzil Magazine covers

Mass Protests Awaken Brazil’s Political Consciousness

In what has been deemed Brazil’s largest political mobilization in over two decades, protesters ...

Brazzil Magazine covers

Brazil Starts Big Push Overseas to Draw Tourists

Brazil's Embratur, the Brazilian Tourism Institute linked to the Brazilian Ministry of Tourism, is ...

Brazzil Magazine covers

Carnaval Biz: It Brings Close to US$ 500,000 to Rio, Brazil

The Rio de Janeiro Carnaval celebration, in Brazil, is certainly spectacular. It is also ...

Brazzil Magazine covers

Brazil’s Petrobras Signs Biodiesel Contracts. 65,000 Families to Be Benefited

Brazilian oil company Petrobras signed today with four private companies their first contracts for ...

Brazzil Magazine covers

Brazilian Leather Exporters Complain About High Taxes

Brazilian leather exports to Tunisia presented a great leap in the first half of ...