Relatives of Brazilian Killed in Subway Accuse London of Keeping them in the Dark

The family of Jean Charles de Menezes are considering the offer of a private briefing from the police watchdog on some of the findings of its report into his fatal shooting by anti-terror officers.

A public vigil to mark the six-month anniversary of the 27-year-old’s death will be held on Sunday at Stockwell Tube station in south London, where he was shot seven times in the head after being mistaken for a suicide bomber.

On Thursday, January 19, the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) finally concluded its six-month inquiry into the shooting.

Its report, together with the evidence gathered by its investigators, was handed over to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) in two large boxes for it to consider whether to bring criminal charges against any of the police officers involved.

The de Menezes family were furious they had not been allowed to see the report and complained they were being kept "in the dark".

The commission sent its report to the Crown Prosecution Service, which will now decide whether to charge any officers.

The mother of the victim, Mrs Menezes, said: "Those who took my son’s life should be prosecuted and those who gave the orders. As long as we don’t have the report we won’t trust British justice… when we see the report, then we may trust them."

Giovani da Silva, the victim’s brother, said: "We are very upset because they gave the report to the police but not to our lawyers or to our cousins in London."

However, it is understood the IPCC has now submitted "detailed proposals" to the family’s legal representatives about how it could brief them on its findings.

The detail of how this would work – particularly given that some members of Mr de Menezes’s family are based in England and some in Brazil – has not been disclosed.

One option that had previously been mooted was for the senior investigator John Cummins to fly out to Brazil to meet members of the de Menezes’s family personally.

However, it is thought a private, face-to-face briefing with his relatives in London and their legal representatives is more likely.

One report suggested an interpreter could then use an open phone line to relay the discussion back to his family in Brazil.

Mercopress – www.mercopress.com

Tags:

Ads

You May Also Like

Brazilian weekly magazine Isto Ë cover shows Lula

Now Come the Reforms in Brazil. Bankers Will Love Them

Despite all the exposures of rampant corruption that characterized Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula ...

There Goes Brazil from Haiti and the Country’s Hopes for a UN Permanent Seat

Brazil’s leadership in the United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti (MINUSTAH) may be coming ...

Brazil Starts Plan to Eradicate Slave Labor

The implantation of the Plan for the Eradication of Slave Labor, announced yesterday by ...

33% of 23,000 Brazilians Deported Are Women, Many Victims of Sex Rings

A large portion of the Brazilian women deported from or refused permission to enter ...

With Less Taxes and Barriers Arab World Enticing to Brazilian Food

Antônio Costa, a manager at the Agribusiness department of the Federation of Industries of ...

Skin and Breast Cancers Are the Prevalent Kind of Cancer in Brazil

Brazil expects to have over 470 thousand new cases of cancer in 2006. This ...

After Lula’s Tour, Brazil Sends Trade Mission to Africa

Brazil is organizing a trade mission to visit various African countries. According to the ...

Brazil Reports to UN on Its 430,000 Indians

The president of Brazil’s Funai (Fundação Nacional do Àndio – National Indian Foundation), Mércio ...

A Planetary Workers’ Union Is Being Born in Brazil

A unified workers central union is expected to emerge from the fusion of the two ...

Brazil’s Lula Has Shown Real Face as Foe of Indians

Now that the eyes of Brazil are focused on the real situation in rural ...