New Massacre of Youngsters in Brazil. Police Are Main Suspect

Jacinaldo Silva, one of the victims of the Rio massacre Five young men were murdered Saturday night in a school of Nova Iguaçu, in the Baixada  Fluminense, an area to the north of Rio and part of the Greater Rio de Janeiro. For police chief Fábio PacÀ­fico Marques, head of the 58th Police Bureau a death squad might be behind the massacre.

"This is a typical action of an extermination group, pseudo vigilantes who use violence to try to  impose their will before the community."

This was Rio's third massacre in less than 40 days.

The police chief noted that the gunmen were careful to gather all the shell casings after the shooting to make more difficult the investigators' work. He also disclosed that three of the victims were killed point blank in the head after having been dominated.

It's possible that the crime was committed by policemen. It's possible that the reason is drugs, but it's still too early to know for sure," said Marques.

According to the story told police by witnesses it was around 10 pm on Saturday when at least 8 hooded men holding weapons invaded  the Cacilda Becker Public Education Integrated Center (Ciep) in the Miguel Couto neighborhood. While some witnesses say the youngsters were playing ball, others told authorities they were smoking marijuana.

Relatives of the victims say the young men used to get together on Saturdays to play soccer. "They even might be playing ball," stated the police chief. "But we are going to investigate the possibility that drugs were the main motive for the crime. Three of the men had criminal records, two for some stupid stuff and one for drug trafficking."

Residents of the area informed that people were celebrating a birthday party in the school. Some initially thought the hooded gunmen were part of the party, this before they started shooting. When the police arrived the bodies of the victims were lying down in the school's patio.

The bodies of Reginaldo Melo da Silva, 24 and Jacinaldo Mendes da Silva, 30, were buried Sunday in the Nova Iguaçu municipal cemetery. The bodies of the other three youngsters, Wilson Araújo de Andrade, 17, Carlos Eduardo Silva, 25,  and Rafael Gomes Pereira, 22, were still at the Coroner's Office late yesterday.

The preceding Rio massacres occurred January 24 and 25, when 11 people, among them seven teenagers aged 14 to 18 were killed in the north side of Rio.

The largest Rio's slaughter, however, happened a little less than a year ago, on March 31st, 2005, when a band of policemen randomly murdered 30 people, whose only crime was to be walking down the streets of the Nova Iguaçu and Queimados neighborhoods. None of the victims had a police record.

Tags:

Ads

You May Also Like

Record Crop to Boost Brazil’s Sugar Exports by 17%

The record sugarcane crop that Brazil should pick this year opens perspectives for greater ...

Brazil on the Verge of Becoming World’s Largest Food Supplier

The Brazilian food industry is doing well. As well as the country currently being ...

Airbus Washes Hands of Brazil’s Deadliest Air Crash

The Airbus that crashed in São Paulo, Brazil, last month, killing 199 people showed ...

To Grow as Agricultural Power Brazil Needs to Fix Transport Bottlenecks

To create conditions for Brazilian farmers to plan their medium and long-term activities and, ...

En Root

Anthropologist and Senator Darcy Ribeiro died on February 17. He was considered by most ...

RAPIDINHAS

Brazil’s international trade policies and strategies must improve dramatically, especially where high-tech, big ticket ...

Micro business generates 40% of formal jobs in Rio, Brazil

Brazilian Businesses Optimistic About Coming Pan American Games

Micro and small businesses are optimistic regarding the Pan American Games, to be held ...

While Building an Ethanol Stockpile Brazil Considers Getting Product from US

In Brazil, the hand-to-mouth ethanol supply system has finally run its course. There are ...