Brazil: Shame on You, O Globo, for Slander and Malice on Goldman Case

Goldbergs Dear O Globo Editors and Journalists, the article on the Sean Goldman case that was published on February 28th, 2009 in O Globo should embarrass each and every one of you. It is a shameless attempt at character assassination. As journalists, you have an obligation to investigate statements you publish, especially those in your article of such a slanderous and malicious nature, and report fairly.

Here are just some of the issues with your article that make me question Globo's journalistic integrity:

1. Your article states unchallenged that these families were totally open to a visitation with Sean if David had only pursued it. The question you need to ask is who was going to dictate the terms of these visitations, including the one Bruna's father so generously offered to fly David down for?

The reason this is important is they wanted David to do things on their terms, signing away rights and dealing with local family courts where they have the greatest influence. David was wise to avoid this on the advice of his attorneys.

It is quite interesting that you allow these families to claim they would have been so accommodating with visitations, yet the first time a court actually awarded a visitation, João Paulo Lins e Silva absconded with Sean for the weekend, after David had flown to Brazil to see his son for the first time in over four years. That clearly shows they were only ever interested in a visitation if it were on their terms.

2. You state: "Bruna won custody of her son and remade her life." Sure, in Brazil she did. But how about reporting that a US court (here is the original Court Order: http://www.bringseanhome.org/USOrder.pdf) declared her abduction illegal under New Jersey law, awarded custody to David, and ordered Bruna to return with Sean to the US for a joint custody hearing (which she ignored to her death)?

You mention a document Bruna sent to the court to justify her actions, yet fail to mention documents condemning her actions from an actual Court of Law (as opposed to one person's opinion). And even some Brazilian judges agreed the abduction was illegal. Did you bother to look through the court records?

Any unbiased expert on the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction would tell you that what Bruna did was a clear violation of the Convention and exactly the kind of thing it was meant to prevent. In fact, you didn't even mention the Hague Convention, which is at the very root of the diplomatic crisis brewing between Brazil and the US. You conveniently left out all of these facts.

3. David has received donations through the BringSeanHome website but how does that prove he's in this only for the money, or even reasonably suggest it? The donations are to pay his legal costs associated with getting Sean back, which stand right now at over US$ 350,000. That still cost him US$ 200,000 after you subtract the US$ 150,000 settlement he received from Bruna's parents.

That settlement was the result of a child-snatching lawsuit, something very common in the US in these cases. Here is a document published by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children that on page 105 describes how left-behind parents of international child abductions can use this tactic:

http://www.ncmec.org/en_US/publications/NC75.pdf

and the language I'm referring to:

Child-Snatching Tort Suits

Consider a child-snatching lawsuit against the abductor and accomplices. See "Civil-Court Remedies If Your Child Is Abducted" beginning on page 21. If the abductor has assets remaining in the U.S., consider bringing a civil child-snatching lawsuit against the abductor in U.S. courts and attaching his or her U.S. assets.

This may serve as leverage to obtain the return of the child, and, if successful, may help finance an overseas investigation or legal battle. If the abductor has received help from friends or relatives who remain in the U.S. or have assets in this country, consider suing them as well. If you obtain a judgment against them, attach their U.S.-held assets.

Any lawyer who did not pursue this lawsuit in US courts would be guilty of incompetence. The suggestion in your article is that a "deal was made" in exchange for US$ 150,000. Where is the proof David agreed to anything other than releasing Bruna's parents (not Bruna) from that lawsuit, which again was a child-snatching lawsuit to help him in his battle to bring Sean back through leverage and the financing of his legal battle, having nothing to do with the ongoing Hague case with Bruna.

It is unethical to print the slanderous allegation that David is trying to profit from this case without attempting to verify its accuracy. Nowhere in the entire process since Sean's abduction did David ever stop fighting for Sean's return. And that is proven in the court records.

4. What proof is there that David has profited from selling Sean's image on mugs, T-shirts, etc.? That is totally unsubstantiated and makes readers wonder whether you took Luca Bianchi's word as gospel without asking for proof that this had indeed occurred. Did you click on the Internet link they've been sending around where they claim these items are for sale?

Have you researched where the items were being sold and who the seller was? David has tens of thousands of supporters around the world organizing rallies, email campaigns, etc. Some of them had the idea to make some of these items for a rally to help spread awareness of the case. The bottom line is it was not done for financial gain and David had nothing to do with producing the items and never saw any money from them.

Again, accusing David Goldman of being more interested in getting money out of this than actually winning back custody of his son is probably one of the most slanderous charges one can make of a father. Yet you allow these people to do it without challenging their statements or researching the matter yourselves.

5. Have you bothered to investigate Maria Augusta Carneiro Ribeiro's background? I did and it turns out she has been associated with kidnappings in the past and been in prison for her terrorist actions (see: US Ambassador Elbrick). She's hardly a reliable source for comments on this case given her own associations with kidnapping and her kinship with a kidnapper.

6. You quote Maria Augusta saying "there was never any attempt by the biological father to contact his son." That is simply untrue. There were many attempts. David has taped phone conversations where he was hung up on by Bruna's parents. And, at one point they also started sending letters and packages David sent to Sean back to David, unopened. No attempt to contact his son? Not on their terms perhaps.

7. You never mentioned that the Special Secretariat for Human Rights of the Presidency of the Republic of Brazil, the Brazilian Central Authority for the Hague Convention, through the Attorney General, initiated legal proceedings to secure the restitution of Sean Goldman to the US.

The Brazilian government is officially on record supporting Sean's return to his father in the US. Don't you think those are important facts to mention to the Brazilian people? Not as important as David and Bruna's sex life apparently.

8. And finally, you just purged one of your articles the other day of the names of all the Brazilian participants in this case. Why is it now okay to report those names, with the notable exception of course of Paulo and João Paulo Lins e Silva? If the media gag order was supposedly for the protection of the child, as was claimed, why is that no longer a concern of yours? I guess the need to protect the image of the Lins e Silvas and Bianchis is more important now, once you saw they were losing the battle in the court of public opinion.

And just a brief comment about your strategy of writing a slanderous article about David Goldman and claiming you tried to contact him for his side of the story. When did you call him, the evening before you published? Presumably you had been working on this story for at least a few days. To pretend you made a sincere effort to contact David is difficult to believe.

By publishing a one-sided hit job on David Goldman it is apparent you're trying to turn this case into a he-said-she-said regarding David and Bruna's marital situation. That's tabloid journalism at its finest. This is a story about a man who wants his son back, a son who was abducted by his late wife and was never held accountable.

That crime is being perpetuated by João Paulo and Paulo Lins e Silva, who are using their legal knowledge and influence in the Brazilian judiciary to manipulate the court proceedings and circumvent the laws they pretend to defend. How disgusting!

One day, after Sean is finally returned home, history will look back on this case, and it will not look back kindly. Not only will people come to understand the human rights and children's rights violations that the Lins e Silva and Bianchi families perpetrated, but also how many in the Brazilian media aided in these illegal, immoral, and inhuman acts of two corrupt and arrogant families by not reporting the facts of the case.

Article being referenced:

http://oglobo.globo.com/rio/mat/2009/02/27/disputa-por-crianca-teria-sido-motivada-por-dinheiro-754628872.asp

Comments   

0 #216 Double-dot commentsMeg 2009-03-31 16:50
You are the typical American moron. Brazilians speak Portuguese. It was a Portuguese colony. If you bothered to do research you would have known that. Spanish and Portuguese are not the same language. They are similar but not the same. I'm American but I try to be fair and look at both sides. As sad as this custody battle is, taking Sean away from his Brazilian family may backfire. From all accounts he is being well cared for. He has a nanny and attends an exclusive private school. Upper class Latin Americans live a very cushy life with plenty of help.
0 #215 I see..Jo Mama 2009-03-15 07:14
MB -

So, Sean is happy, you claim, so we should leave him there?

Well, how about I kidnap some Brazilian children and enroll them in the very best school in France and give them everything they want. Then when their parents cry, I say, "Too bad! Your kids are happy where they are; you have no right to them!"

You must not be a parent, because no parent could make such a stupid argument. This man has been fighting for his son for years - the fact that Bruna managed to keep Sean away for so long does not mean he should lose his rights.

Bring Sean home now, and prosecute the kidnappers.
0 #214 What about Sean's opinion ?MB 2009-03-14 11:08
Why people here worry so strongly with the right of the father and so little to the right of the child?
This Kid dont want to came back to EUA.

He lives in a nice apartment, and studying in one of the best schools in your city.

The apartment in which he lives belongs to the grandparents.
The father has an apartment in the condominium.

The apartment's stepfather is reforming now.
After retirement he will change and the daughter and the entity to live with it.

The stepfather is a lawyer of prestige in Brazil.
He works and earns enough money.
No need to live in the house favor of anyone.

Sean loves the grandparents, the father loves, loves his sister. He loved his mother too.
Sean does not understand such aggression against the people he loves. He is afraid, he is scared.
Sean is afraid of living in the United States. He is very impressed with all this bad story.
Sean is afraid of Americans.
Sean does not like those who speak ill of your mother, your grandparents, or the stepfather, whom he called father.

Americans do not care about anything, only with their own views.
Americans do not believe that it should bow to international law. The U.S. invaded Iraq without the authorization of the Security Council.

Americans believe that the value of your own life is more than the life of another person who lives elsewhere in the world.
The U.S. invading countries. The Americans believe they have the right to impose their lifestyle. Americans believe that is always right. Believe they can always win.

They are right. Who has the power can always win. Who has the money can always win. Who has the most powerful army can always win.

But they are wrong. Winning is not the same any reason.

I do not know with whom the child should live.

I do not have the answers.

I know that Americans of this forum will be brave. Everyone can speak their minds of all countries. But do not like to hear negative opinions about their own country.

Many here have spoken ill of Brazil, but can not hear evil U.S., were dissatisfied.

I think the U.S. a great country. I think the American people worker. I'm not part of the team of people who hate Americans. By contrast, Americans know of which I love. American history and admire the parents that you built.

Do not misunderstand me. But you also have defects. Stop pointing the finger for the rest of the world. Look at the country itself. Protest when the government of you act at odds with the international read.

You will not the owners of the world.

COSTINHA e CH.C - You are the best.
0 #213 BO will not down load got a better address for it forrest allen brown 2009-03-13 06:57
http://www.c-spanarchives.org/...Stop=14247
0 #212 FURTHER TO JOAO'S COMMENTS FORAugustus 2009-03-12 12:06
.... AND.... the LORD SHERIFF is WATCHING HIM!!!!! CLOSELY....
After all, with Costinha's help, I have agent's eyes everywhere... :-)
he he he he he ;-) :sad: ;-)
0 #211 BoJoão da Silva 2009-03-11 14:43
Quote:
thank god for that!!!
With a little bit of training from us, you will surpass the teachers. You have great potentials :D ;-)

On a serious note, I just did not want to treat this incident as U.S. Vs Brasil and go into jingoistic rants. ASP and Augustus are great bloggers and there is no point in picking up quarrel s with them. As for Forrest, he is a wise old gentleman and deliberately writes bad English to confuse everybody (I think Costa knows it!!!!!). Who would have thunk about the dental problems of the disputing parties?

BTW, there are just two Lords in this blog. "Lord Mayor" and "Lord Sheriff". :-) ;-) :D

Cheers
0 #210 One of the best things I have ever seen!bo 2009-03-11 14:06
http://www.c-spanarchives.org/librar...clipStop=14247

That's GREAT!!! Keep up your thieving ways brazil and you'll soon have to find yourself another country to do business with than the U.S.!! Note the congressman from Texas' comments.
0 #209 bo 2009-03-11 13:05
Quote:
You are not an intellectual match to Forrest, Augustus or me.
thank god for that!!!

;-)
0 #208 ForrestAdriana A. 2009-03-11 11:10
Quote:
All i know is it should be a different lula when he gets back to brasil
I hope so Forrest, I hope so.
0 #207 A.Aforrest allen brown 2009-03-11 03:57
Yet a lot was lost in the transulation from english to portugues .
and it looked like the tape was cut and replayed on several questions .

All i know is it should be a different lula when he gets back to brasil
0 #206 Joao/asp please forgive me!! Please? I even would go down on my knees to beg you, if I could.Adriana A. 2009-03-10 23:03
I have written an entire post:
[quotJoao, I am even more upset than ever with the link you provided me from Fantastico. Not with you of course.
written by Adriana A., March 10, 2009

I am shocked, that is the only thing I can say.

If that fantastico program was not a brainwash, I don't know what is. I am speechless. The way you guys were saying in here about the program which was shown yesterday -Sunday- I thought David Goldman was interviewed in the program. Nope. Only the grandmother's version. So predictable, it was arranged in way that even the questions were answered by her in a most calmed way as if she already knew them beforehand. Amazing.

I feel sorry that the vast majority of Brazilians who don't speak and understand English will never be able to see the home videos, and pictures -I am not even saying Dateline, just the family videos and family photos. Because according to her, her daughter feared him. But why David Goldman has a taped phone conversation, when Bruna, herself, her own voice says, "you are a wonderful father, I am glad that we had Sean together..." one may say, "but that don't prove, there may have had some fearful situations" Yes, but then, report or divorce in US.

I confessed here that even me did not check his web site until later. Because, the way the grandmother was talking, I, myself, had to pinch me and say "wake up Adriana, reason, please". And that is because I saw the website, can you imagine if I haven't? I tell you something if the judge -or any person involved in the decision- saw that program, oh my! Someone will have to tell David Goldman, "forget about your son, is over". No mention to the Hague convention whatsoever, nor I expected the lady to say anything, I expected Fantastico to conduct a separate report. The article above is a response to the O Globo newspaper, and Fantastico is part of the Globo Network -and the company- and it is from Rio, where the powerful family is also from. What a coincidence!

She said Sean knows everything. Either she is not telling the truth or poor Sean is brainwashed already.
e]

By going to the bringseanhome website's blogs, I saw one thread just to say thanks to the Fantastico Program. They gave them letter A for their unbiased report about the case. There were three sections; one for David Goldman, one for the story, and one for Sean's grandmother. What happened to me is that I only saw the section with the grandmother. What on earth was I thinking? If I was a journalist, I would be imediately fired, and if I was "Mr. Amorim" :D People would be condenming me in blogs, for that.

Oh my lord I can't believe I did that. :o

You and asp made conments about the program and I was not careful to dig for more info.

Guys please, forgive me. Specially you Joao that a couple weeks ago took the time to teach me how to make fancy posts. I guess this whole story is making me nuts. This whole case is so unbelieveable.

Please, accept my apologies :sad: I can handle many hardships, and people giving me a hard time, but I cannot handle injustice. And if it comes from me is even more worse.

Best,
Adriana

PS. And apologies to Fantastico too.
0 #205 Costa's list - a major commodity Augustus 2009-03-10 19:22
Everybody wants to be in Costa's list :D

Not so sure about Bo's list however... I wonder if there could ever be such a list... Does Bo love anybody????? :o
oh! Himself? :D
0 #204 jon 2009-03-10 18:06
Joao,

Up until now I think Costa forgot about me ;-) ;-) ( not sure if that is good or bad?)
0 #203 João da Silva 2009-03-10 17:01
Quote:
For the love of christ...you posted the photo! It's obvious isn't it?
You are not an intellectual match to Forrest, Augustus or me. The question was addressed to Forrest and NOT to you. AND don't bring Christ into the discussion. Do you really think that I didn't understand what Forrest was saying?

I am really disappointed in you Bo, not that it matters to you. Have a nice day.
0 #202 bo 2009-03-10 15:59
Quote:
BO
written by Augustus, March 10, 2009
Bo - Trust me when I say that I hardly ever defend Brazil... BUT BUT BUT BUT
BO's comments on the way he is being treated in Brazil clearly indicates that he is NOT AWARE of the new SPLINTER KKK GROUP - a militant branch allied with ALL neo Nazis groups in the South whose NO.1 ENEMY are LATIN AMERICANS - Following their traditional foes "African Americans and Jewish Americans! If you never felt mistreated in the South, it's because you are BOUND to be Anglo-Saxon (Lilly-White as some say). Even though I'm not black, I feel EXTREMELY unconfortable if I ever step more than one mile south of Baltimore, that I just DO ANYTHING Possible to avoid going to Virginia or Georgia - AND SURELY NEVER TO A SMALL TOWN because EVERYONE STARES with that "LOOK". I can ONLY IMAGINE how an African American from Boston or Seattle must feel if he/she has EVER the misfortune of visiting Birmingham, Alabama

FURTHERMORE - Your CLEAR dislike for my person and the cynic fashion of your addresses FURTHER reflect my point... As such, if you feel discriminated in Brazil, such alleged injustice apparently had NO IMPACT on your sarcasm and SURELY made no "dent" on your arrogance!
You're full of shit LORD! :o

Add comment

Security code
Refresh

Who's Online

We have 6124 guests and no members online

Statistics

Users
Articles
Articles View Hits

----------

cheap cocktail dresses

----------

Brazilian Male Enhancement Review at Breastsenlargementreview.com

----------

Brazilian Breasts Enlargement Cream

----------

Brazilian Top Breast Enlargement Reviews

----------

Brazilian Male Enhancement Pills at Breastsenlargementguide.com

----------

bruidsmeisjes jurken

----------

vestidos de noche

----------

ballkleider

----------

Cheap Prom Dresses

----------

Churrasco Equipment and Brazilian Meat Skewers

----------

Vestidos Noiva em Weddingmart.pt

----------

Australia Fashion Online Outlet store

----------

Robe de cocktail

----------

Our good partner Everbuying.com provides wide selections of products at best price for worldwide free shipping.

----------

Cheap Dre Beats

----------

Buy Cheap Nike Mercurial Soccer Cleats from MercurialCity now!

----------

Shopping Reviews

----------

----------

robe de cocktail

----------

Cheap Wedding Dresses

----------

bruidsjurken

----------

Find Me Handbags

----------