After Spill Brazil Justice Orders Chevron’s Executives to Turn in Their Passports

Chevron's George Buck Executives from oil companies Chevron and Transocean are barred by the Brazilian Justice from leaving Brazil, pending criminal charges related to a high-profile oil spill last November. A second oil spill detected last week further complicated the situation. 

A federal judge in Rio de Janeiro state granted a request from prosecutors who are pressing for charges against both firms, a spokesman for prosecutor Eduardo Oliveira said. George Buck, who heads Chevron’s Brazil unit, and the other 16 executives must turn in their passports to the police within 24 hours, the spokesman said.

Charges are expected to be filed on Tuesday or Wednesday, according to the prosecutors’ press office.

The court decision came a day after the Brazilian navy spotted a thin stain of oil extending for about 0.6 mile in offshore field Frade, which was also the site of last year’s spill. US-based Chevron said in a statement it halted production at Frade on Saturday after winning permission from Brazilian oil industry regulator ANP.

Neither Chevron nor any of its executives “have been formally notified of any action by the judiciary yet,” the company statement said. “Any legal decision will be abided by the company and its employees. We will defend the company and its employees.”

Prosecutors want to press a criminal indictment of Buck and other executives from Chevron and Swiss-based offshore drilling company Transocean whose rig was used in the Frade field.

It is up to a judge to determine whether to accept the charges and proceed with indictments.

Chevron’s spill in November leaked as many as 3,000 barrels from sea-floor cracks. It resulted in an 11 billion dollars civil lawsuit, the largest environmental damages case in Brazil’s history, although the total amount of oil was less than 0.1% of BP spill in 2010 in the Gulf of Mexico.

Chevron’s troubles in Brazil could force it to rethink Latin American strategies. A shortage of trained workers, engineers and equipment has driven up costs in Brazil, and Chevron also faces an 18 billion dollars environmental verdict in Ecuador.

Chevron is stopping production plans to better assess its “reservoir management plans” in Brazil, where it has spent over 2 billion dollars developing the largest foreign-run oil field. The suspension will shut down a field with the capacity to produce 80,000 barrels a day, more than 3% of Brazil’s oil output.

Mercopress

Tags:

  • Show Comments (0)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

comment *

  • name *

  • email *

  • website *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Ads

You May Also Like

Is Brazil Selling Out Haiti for Its Own Gain?

Less than a week after the de facto February 29 coup d’état that overthrew ...

House leadership meets after new Speaker Rebelo is elected

A Communist Is Third in Line to Brazil’s Presidency

A close ally of Brazilian president Lula da Silva, communist Aldo Rebelo from the ...

Beyond Rio

As I drive across the border I see a person holding up a sign ...

Iraq Has Plenty of Money and Wishes to Do Business with Brazil

The Kurdistan DBX Trade Show began Tuesday, November 11, in Suleimaniya, in Northern Iraq, ...

They Sell 95% of Brazil’s Neonatal Equipment to 91 Countries

Exports by Brazil's medical, hospital and laboratory equipment maker Fanem rose 35% last year. ...

Berlusconi Wants Eight More Years of Lula as Brazil’s President

Silvio Berlusconi, Italy’s prime minister, expressed his support for the idea that Brazilian president ...

Lost Horizon

The elopement would happen on the wedding’s eve, the day when the old Manuel ...

Brazil Sees Dramatic Increase in Tourist Dollar

Expenditure in dollars of foreign tourists in Brazil and the arrival of international flights increased ...

Disarmament Campaign Saves Over 3,000 Lives in Brazil

Over 3 thousand lives were saved in Brazil as a result of the reduction ...

Brazilian Migrants on Way to the US Among Killed in Mexico’s Drug Gang Massacre

The Ministry of Foreign Relations of Brazil has received word from the Mexican government ...