Large importers demand identification of transgenics

By backing the detailed identification of transgenic products for export, Brazil is meeting a demand made by social movements that defend environmental security and human health throughout the world, especially in Third World countries.

"In truth, 90% of the international trade involving transgenics is subjected to controls, because the major import markets demand it. Now what we are discussing is to control the remaining 10%, which generally goes to countries like the ones in Africa, Nicaragua, Peru, and Bolivia, which don’t have the chance to perform tests and lack the political power to prevent the entry of food assistance, for example," argues Marijane Lisboa, a professor of international relations at the Pontifical Catholic University of São Paulo (PUC-SP) and a representative of the Organic Agriculture Association (AAO), one of the groups that supports the Brazil Free of Transgenics Campaign.

The labeling of transgenic products for export, whether for human or animal consumption or for processing, is spelled out in the Cartagena Biosecurity Protocol, an international agreement which has been endorsed by 130 countries with rules for trade involving living modified organisms (LMOs). The protocol, adopted in 2000 by the members of the Convention on Biological Diversity, entered into effect in 2003.

The question of whether or not to require the identification of transgenics in detail was raised for the first time at the first Meeting of the Parties, in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, in 2004, and the debate continued when the parties met for the second time, in Montreal, Canada, last year.

At that time Brazil and New Zealand were the only countries that defended the use of the expression "may contain transgenics" on the labels of products for exports. The other signatory countries that attended the meeting voted for the precise and complete identification of products when they are sold to other countries.

The debate was renewed this week, in the southern Brazilian city of Curitiba, at the Third Meeting of the Parties to the Cartagena Protocol (MOP-3). If they reach a consensus, the 130 countries will initiate negotiations on which information to include on the labels of transgenics.

Lisboa points out the flow of unidentified transgenics poses risks to the environment and human health. A grain that is not authorized for consumption, for example, could easily end up entering the country, falling on the ground, germinating, and contaminating the environment.

The professor disputes the argument made by rural producers who claim that the added cost of identifying transgenics will make Brazil’s farm exports uncompetitive. She says that it will cost only 4 US cents per ton to comply with the controls.

"A large portion of our exports is already tested and identified for shipping, because the main import markets, which are the European Union, China, and Japan, don’t buy anything without knowing what they are buying. These countries have unambiguous laws, and exporters try to follow them," she reiterates.

Agência Brasil

Tags:

  • Show Comments (0)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

comment *

  • name *

  • email *

  • website *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Ads

You May Also Like

In LatAm Popularity Test, Brazil’s Lula Comes in 8th

Bolivia and Argentina’s presidents are the most popular leaders in their countries according to ...

Aedes aegypti, the mosquito that transmits dengue

A Nasty Season of Dengue in Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay

In southern Brazil an estimated 45.000 cases of dengue have been announced. Argentina, on ...

Brazilian Indians Ask Protective Spirits to Receive Bishop Dom Luciano

Thousands of people have flocked to the historical city of Mariana, in the southeastern ...

The US Is Butchering the Election in Haiti and Brazil Is Its Accomplice

U.N. political representation in Haiti and the Brazil-led peacekeeping force have failed in their ...

Shell Shifts from Algae to Brazilian Sugarcane in Global Biofuel Push

Netherlands-based Royal Dutch Shell Plc, the world’s largest energy company and also the biggest ...

São Paulo, Brazil, Finds Out It’s Not Easy to Be Green

Brazilian merchant Lizete Araújo da Silva, 51, has worked for approximately ten years in ...

Argentina to Impose Retaliatory Tariffs on Brazilian Products

The government of Argentina announced it would slap anti-dumping tariffs for six months on ...

UN Project in Brazil Will Help 100,000 Poor from Northeast

More than 100,000 poor Brazilians are expected to benefit from a United Nations-backed development ...

Less than 1% of Brazilians Own 54% of Brazil’s Assets

An estimated 130.000 Brazilians, or about 0.75% of the country's population, have financial assets ...

Brazil’s Left of Left

What does the future hold for the new leftist Brazilian party, the PSOL? Can ...