Brazil’s CVRD to Explore Coal in Africa

Brazil’s Companhia Vale do Rio Doce (CVRD) informs that it was declared the winner of an international bidding process to explore coal deposits in the Moatize region, north of Mozambique.

CVRD is associated in this project with American Metals and Coal International (AMCI), a North-American coal producer.


CVRD has 95% of the winning consortium, while AIMC owns the remaining 5%. The CVRD/AMCI consortium bid US$ 122.8 million for the concession.


Moatize is considered the largest unexplored coal province in the world. It is a world-class deposit estimated to have 2.4 billion tons, allowing the extraction of coking and thermal coal.


The Brazilian steel industry, especially the new capacity increase projects, is a natural market for absorbing the supply of coking coal, while there is excess demand for energy in Austral Africa, offering a good opportunity for thermal coal.


Mozambique is a fast-developing economy, with political stability and a modern mineral legislation.


It has recently received significant foreign direct investment flows in the metals and mining industry.


Mozambique has the financial support from multilateral credit institutions, such as the International Finance Corporation (IFC), a subsidiary of the World Bank, and from regional credit institutions, such as the Industrial Development Corporation (IDC), from South Africa.


BNDES, the Brazilian national development bank, has formally expressed its interest in supporting the Moatize project.


CVRD already concluded the project’s pre-feasibility study. The feasibility study is scheduled to start in January 2005 and is estimated to take about twenty-four months to be concluded.


Total investment is estimated at US$ 1 billion and includes concession payment, mine development, construction of a maritime terminal for ship loading and social investments.


There is a railroad linking the Moatize region to ports in the coast of Mozambique, Nacala and Beira, which is operated, under government concession, by Indian companies.


The Moatize project represents a milestone in the CVRD initiative to enter the coal business. It is its first coal-mining project and, at the same time, increases its international operations. 


In 2004, CVRD had already entered into two partnerships with Chinese companies ”” Yangkuang, Yongcheng and Baosteel ”” as a minority shareholder, for the development of coal-related business in China.


CVRD has large experience in the development and operation of large-scale mineral projects and in the handling of considerable volumes of bulk cargo through mine-railroad-port integrated systems.


It is also one of the main global suppliers of raw materials ”” iron ore, pellets, ferro-alloys ”” to the steel industry, and metallurgical coal will complement its portfolio.


Companhia Vale do Rio Doce
www.cvrd.com.br
PRNewswire

Tags:

  • Show Comments (1)

  • Guest

    british coal mining
    hmmf

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

comment *

  • name *

  • email *

  • website *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Ads

You May Also Like

Brazil’s Eletrobrí¡s Gets Green Light to Sell Stocks in New York

Eletrobrás, Brazil's state-owned power company was licensed last Friday, September 26, by the United ...

Brazilian Senator Explains the Lessons Greece Taught the World

The year 2011 was the year of Greece. More than Ireland, Iceland, Spain, Portugal ...

3.2 Million Checks Bounce in One Month in Brazil: 2% of All Checks Written

For every one thousand checks processed in Brazil in November of this year, 20.6 ...

2014 Brazilian Grains Harvest Reaches 195 Million Tons, a Record

The Brazilian production of grains in 2013/2014 has reached 195.46 million tons, according to ...

Subdued Brazil Recalls Military Coup

Among those commemorating the 40th anniversary of the Brazilian military coup was a military ...

Brazilian Supermarkets Ready to Invest 4% More than Last Year

Supermarkets in Brazil are planning to invest 3.877 billion reais (US$ 1.775 billion) this ...

More than 5,000 Mayors Take Office in Brazil

Mayors elected in Brazil’s municipalities took office on Saturday, January 1st. According to the ...

Brazil’s Petrobras Deepens Oil Exploration in Africa

Petrobras will participate as an operating company in a consortium of foreign firms to ...

Brazil Has No Fears, Says Lula. But Foreign Investors Are Fleeing

Brazilian President, Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, reaffirmed today how solid is the Brazilian ...

Brazil MST’s Chief: ‘We Must Defeat Serra, Who Represents Bourgeoisie and Neoliberalism’

For João Pedro Stédile, of the MST’s (Landless Movement) national leadership, Dilma Rousseff’s victory ...