Poll Gives Brazil’s Lula Presidency Again by a Landslide

Less than two weeks from Brazil’s second-round presidential election the final results are already in and Lula has won by a landslide even though the elections don’t happen before October 29, a Sunday.

To believe DataFolha, whose latest poll was released last night, October 17, the current occupant of the Palácio do Planalto will win with a 20-point advantage over his opponent, former São Paulo governor and doctor Geraldo Alckmin.

According to DataFolha’s survey, when only the valid votes are taken into account, Lula gets 60% of the votes while Alckmin is left with the remaining 40%.

This was DataFolha’s second poll since a TV presidential debate earlier this month that seemed to favor the opposition candidate who had gone on the attack against the president, raising several questions on corruption in the government that went unanswered.

In the previous survey, on October 8, the gap between the candidates was a more manageable 12%, with Lula getting 56% and Alckmin 44% of the valid ballots.

When all votes are counted including blank and spoiled ballots, the difference is 19% in favor of Lula. In this case, the president gets 57% of the votes and Alckmin 38%.

Just one week before, these numbers were 51% and 40%. Time hasn’t been kind to the opposition candidate who got 48.6% of the votes against 41.6% won by the ex-governor on the election’s first round.

The poll commissioned by daily Folha de S. Paulo and Globo TV heard 7.133 voters, between Monday and Tuesday, throughout 348 Brazilian municipalities. The survey has a margin of error of plus or minus 2%.

Alckmin tried to minimize the results putting in doubt the reliability of the poll: "I believe that there are polls and there are polls. Let’s wait a little bit. We are going to get there the same way we did get to the runoff. I believe Brazil is not going to waste another four years."

On the other hand, Lula was in a celebratory mood during a walk in Rio de Janeiro. In a speech to Worker Party’s activists the president asked voters to simply ignore the polls. 

Once again he compared himself to late presidents Getúlio Vargas and Juscelino Kubitschek and again criticized the elite. "The elite who persecuted Getúlio, Jânio and JK is the same who doesn’t accept me as president," he told the friendly crowd.

Lula also reiterated his charges that the opposition has plans to privatize state-owned companies if they win the elections. "Don’t let the toucans (PSDB party members) say that we are promoting terrorism. They have a predatory history. They only know how to sell not how to build. They seem more like a demolition company."

The president also said he was thankful for the chance to run in the second round. (He was sure he would win straight in the first one.) "God writes straight with crooked lines. The second round united the troops to defy this group who is against the people.

"Now we will debate ideas, programs for Brazil. They will have to explain why in 8 years they didn’t build a single university, while we built four," he said, adding: "We cannot rebuild in a mere four years a country they have been destroying for 500 years."

Tags:

  • Show Comments (0)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

comment *

  • name *

  • email *

  • website *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Ads

You May Also Like

Dengues That Had Disappeared for Decades Are Making Comeback in Brazil

Brazil’s minister of Health, José Gomes Temporão, says there is a possibility that dengue ...

Fitch Downgrades Brazil’s TAM and See Bleak 2009 for the Airline

US-based ratings agency Fitch Ratings has downgraded Brazilian airline TAM S.A's (TAM) credit ratings. ...

Brazil’s Ethanol Will Power Japan’s Car Fleet

Brazil agreed Monday to help Japan develop the ethanol industry and thus reduce the ...

Brazil's 7th Free Software Forum

Brazil Becomes World’s Free Software Center for Three Days

One of the main global meetings about freeware computer programs begins today, April 12, ...

Lula Wants a Banker to Join His Choice for President, a Former Guerrilla

Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, the president of Brazil, is considering supporting a renowned ...

Russia Ready to Help Build Venezuela-Brazil-Argentina Gas Pipeline

During a South American tour that took him to Brazil and Argentina, the Primer ...

Thanks do Sugarcane Brazil’s Agribusiness Beats Another Record

With US$ 43.6 billion, Brazilian agribusiness exports set a new record in 2005. The ...

A Brazilian peteca

Brazilian E-stories and Everything You Need to Know About Peteca

Modern technology has been a fabulous boon to our get-it-now society. Just think of ...

Brazilian Journalist Beaten Up for Reporting on Corruption

Abraji, the Brazilian Association for Investigative Journalism and the Rio Grande do Sul State ...