• Categories
  • Archives

Brazil’s Petrobras Threatened with Ousting from Bolivia

Brazilian Petrobras in Bolivia Bolivia's leftist government warned energy companies including Brazil's Petrobras that they must commit to hefty investments before August 20 or risk being thrown out of the natural-gas rich country. The warning by Energy Minister Carlos Villegas came three days after President Evo Morales made a similar threat.

"We hope that by August 20 we'll have results, agreements, otherwise we're going to enforce the legal provisions (in the contracts)," Villegas told a news conference, referring to the new operating contracts signed by energy companies to comply with Morales' nationalization of the industry.

In an effort to reap more profits from impoverished Bolivia's energy resources, Morales nationalized the country's natural gas industry last year.

Officials have said the contracts signed in October 2006 commit the foreign companies to invest some US$ 3.5 billion to increase production.

Villegas said Spain's Repsol , US Vintage, Chaco – which is controlled by Anglo-US firm Panamerican Energy – and Argentina's Pluspetrol have presented investment plans worth a total US$ 1 billion.

However, the largest investors in Bolivian energy – Brazil's Petrobras, Repsol-YPF's local subsidiary Andina and France's Total – have yet to present their plans to the government.

Villegas said the requirement to invest in projects to meet local demand before investing in potentially more profitable projects to increase exports was one of the main reasons that companies were reluctant to submit their investment plans.

Meanwhile, he said the second US$ 56 million payment for a total of US$ 112 million to buy two refineries from Petrobras had been made. Petrobras acquired the refineries in 1994 for US$ 104 million and made millions of investments.

During a time in the negotiations Bolivia had offered to pay US$ 60 million while Petrobras was demanding at least US$ 200 million. At that time Brazil threatened to go to an international court to solve the dispute.

Mercopress

Tags:

  • Show Comments (0)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

comment *

  • name *

  • email *

  • website *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Ads

You May Also Like

Brazil: Lula Takes Zero Hunger to UN

Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva will once again call for a world ...

Blair Calls Lula Once Again to Apologize over Brazilian’s Killing

British Prime Minister Tony Blair telephoned Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva Tuesday ...

Brazil Sends Back to UK 1,500 Tons of Dirty Diapers and Used Condoms

The Brazilian government announced it has returned 1,500 tons of hazardous waste that arrived ...

Finance Minister Deplores Brazil’s Barriers to Foreign Information Techonology

Brazil’s Minister of Finance, Antonio Palocci called for greater economic liberalization in Brazilian industrial ...

Brazil Doesn’t See Eye to Eye with Mercosur Junior Members

General Carlos Alvarez, Mercosur's standing secretary, admitted it was difficult for the South American ...

Brazil’s Lula Vows to Keep on Diversifying International Relations

In a meeting Wednesday, January 4, with Brazilian diplomats (among them more than 60 ...

Musical Chairs Continue at Brazil’s Lula Cabinet

In the presence of President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, Jaques Wagner took office ...

Brazil vs. NYT: The Autopsy of a Hangover

It became obvious that Brazil’s Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, the charismatic labor leader ...

Brazil’s PT Calls on Leaders to Stand Up and Defend Lula

One of the principal conclusions reached at yesterday’s, June 19, meeting of the National ...

Brazil’s Organic Cosmetics Take First Baby Steps

The increase in global demand for natural products that respect the environment have motivated ...