----------

Search

Custom Search
Members : 23186
Content : 3845
Content View Hits : 34540003

Who's Online

We have 667 guests online

World Cup and Olympics: Just Another Example of Brazil's Perverted Generosity PDF Print E-mail
2012 - December 2012
Written by Cristovam Buarque   
Wednesday, 05 December 2012 15:36

World Cup Mascot 2014 Brazilian history begins with a gesture of inverted generosity: civilizing the native population, exploiting their labor and obliging them to convert their souls to a religion foreign to them. After four centuries, Brazil began to show generosity towards its African slaves: it enacted the Lei do Ventre Livre, stating that the newborn children of slaves would be free.

Their mothers, however, continued as slaves. There was also generosity shown the elderly slaves, when they could no longer work.

The Lei Áurea, the abolition law, was another of our acts of generosity: the slaves now could no longer either be sold or subjected to forced labor, but we did not give them land to produce their own food or schools for their children.

More recently, almost on the 500th anniversary of our country's existence, we generously established a minimum salary. But the salary was so minimum that it was always insufficient to cover the basic costs of the essential goods and services.

To prevent a worker shortage, we made yet another generous gesture: the vale-refeição, or meal ticket. While their families went without food, the workers received the meals that their salary would not cover.

During slavery, we generously offered "housing" to the slaves: the fetid, unhealthy slave quarters. When industrialization put the workers in housing distant from their workplaces, and their salary did not permit them to pay bus fare, we generously offered the vale-transporte, or bus pass, even if the worker and his or her family could not visit relatives or stroll around the downtown area during the weekend.

We have been generous in offering income tax breaks to finance private schools, inclusive of the children of the wealthy, at a value greater than the average annual expenditure for a child in public school, above all for the children of the poor.

Generously we offer the Bolsa Família, a Conditional Cash Transfer program, but we do not commit ourselves to emancipating the poor from the need for such programs. We generously do not offer childcare or preschools for our children, causing despair in thousands of mothers who need to work and are obliged to leave their children in the care of other children or neighbors.

Generously we also offer quotas to facilitate the university admission of young Brazilians of African descent, but we do not make the necessary effort to eradicate the illiteracy that tortures nearly 11 million Brazilians, the great majority of them black or of mixed race.

We are generous in facilitating the indebtedness of families in Class C, the rising middle class, who can buy cars to be paid off in up to 100 months, without sales tax, but we have not eliminated taxes upon the basket of basic necessities, nor have we improved public transportation for all the classes, including Class D and Class E, the lower-income classes.

Our generosity culminates in spending many billions of reais to host the World Cup and the Olympics in Brazil, which our poor are going to watch on television, while we are not making the commitment to invest our petroleum royalties in the education of our future generations.

We are a coherent country, with five centuries of selective generosity that is inverted, or perverted.

Cristovam Buarque (CBUARQUE@senado.gov.br) is a professor at the University of Brasília and a senator (PDT-DF).

Translated by Linda Jerome (LinJerome@cs.com).

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Reddit! Del.icio.us! Mixx! Free and Open Source Software News Google! Live! Facebook! StumbleUpon! TwitThis Joomla Free PHP
Comments (150)Add Comment
Well spoken . . .
written by capnamerca, December 05, 2012
Brazil will never become a first world country until they allow all of the citizens to participate in the formal economy. And without an equal opportunity for education,that just can't happen.

Who would the oligarchs rule over and look down upon if they allowed such a thing?
Ditto
written by Simpleton, December 06, 2012
Sire, how immense and profound ... Can we have yet another holiday to celebrate your work so the judges and others in the governing body can have a reason to take paid time off to help them cogitate?
Simpleton
written by João da Silva, December 06, 2012

Sire, how immense and profound ... Can we have yet another holiday to celebrate your work so the judges and others in the governing body can have a reason to take paid time off to help them cogitate?

I appreciate you taking your precious time off to read the article and give us the synopsis.smilies/cool.gif

But...but...but...I think you mixed up the words! It should read "to take paid time off to cohabit, instead of cogitate".smilies/shocked.gif
thar ya go agin
written by Simpleton, December 07, 2012
Joao, it was a very very commendable piece of literary work that Cristovam put forward, and you are right, I did take the time to read it from the first word all the way until the last word vs just skipping to the commentary. But what the hell is happening to you? What behooved you to try to dirty it up. Shame on you. My words are MY WORDS.
Simpleton
written by João da Silva, December 07, 2012

Joao, it was a very very commendable piece of literary work that Cristovam put forward, and you are right, I did take the time to read it from the first word all the way until the last word vs just skipping to the commentary.

To be honest with you, I am pleased that you read the article from the "first word all the way until the last word". My esrlier comment was just to pull your leg and check whether you really read it.smilies/wink.gif

Once in a while I access the senator's website and read his articles and also keep track of his activities. The greatest thing about him is he tried to for the job of the President of Brasil and lost. That did not deter him from speaking out his mind and still get elected as the senator from the DF. I have been to Brasilia few times when he was the Governor of DF and common folks gave him high marks for his efforts to prevent Brasilia from deteriorating. Unfortunately his successors didn't think that way and according to some friends who have been there recently say that that town has become almost a favela.smilies/angry.gif

It is good that Late Oscar Niemeyer's last visit to Brasilia was not exactly for sight seeing .smilies/angry.gif

BTW, I agree with Sen.Buarque on many things. I certainly would have liked Prez Dilma to have selected him to head the Ministry of Education again, when the newly elected Mayor of SP quit his post to run for the elections this year. But....but....but... she opted to give a loser a consolation prize. But...but...but... there again, as our distinguished fellow blogger ASP (who must be indulging in his favorite hobby of "Bunda Watching" in the 40 Celsius hot weather) says, it is a dirty world.smilies/sad.gif

Chimo to ya.
Finance Minister Guido Mantega - Keep up the good work!!!!!
written by Ricardo C. Amaral, December 07, 2012

Ricardo: I just posted the following at the Elite Trader Economics Forum:

December 7, 2012

SouthAmerica: President Dilma Rousseff should keep Guido Mantega as the Finance Minister in Brazil and she should ignore “The Economist” magazine suggestion.

England's economic and financial system is bankrupt and in a massive mess – nothing to write home about it – The Economist magazine should concentrate in giving their advice to the British government
since that it is working so well....

“The Economist” magazine suggested that President Dilma Rousseff should fire the Brazilian Finance Minister Guido Mantega.

President Rousseff should ignore this silly suggestion from “The Economist” and take this request with a grain of salt considering the source of such a suggestion.

Guido Mantega has been guiding the Brazilian economy the best way he can considering the massive mess that we have in Euroland, and also in the United States that affects the Brazilian economy.

Guido Mantega has been doing a superb job in putting in place the policies to protect the Brazilian economy, and place it in a path for prosperity in the coming years.

Finance Minister Guido Mantega - Keep up the good work!!!!!

I understand that this attack by “The Economist” it is part of the “Currency Wars” that is going on - “The Economist” should concentrate and continue to give their precious advice to a bankrupt England and “The Bank of England’s” new boss Mark Carney; another gang member of “Goldman Sachs the Pillage People” and their network of thieves.

Dilma diz que não acata 'de maneira alguma' a sugestão de demissão de Mantega
http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/m...tega.shtml

“The Bank of England’s” new boss Mark Carney; another gang member of “Goldman Sachs the Pillage People” and their network of thieves.
http://www.economist.com/news/...canada-guy

Ricardo Amaral
written by João da Silva, December 07, 2012

President Dilma Rousseff should keep Guido Mantega as the Finance Minister in Brazil and she should ignore “The Economist” magazine suggestion.

I read the "suggestion" of the "Economist" to fire Guido. The next thing we may hear is Fox news "suggesting", we fire our President too.smilies/wink.gifsmilies/cheesy.gifsmilies/grin.gif

Its high time the Limeys stop interfering in the internal affairs of another sovereign nation that doesn't revere their Crown. I don't think even the erstwhile members of their Colonies give a s**t about the editorials & articles of "The Economist", which seems to be becoming a Tabloid magazine. smilies/grin.gifsmilies/cool.gifsmilies/shocked.gifsmilies/sad.gif
yessss yesssss keep believing the Brazilian Government that they fight hard !
written by ch.c, December 07, 2012
Hello everyone. Especially to Joao !
I am backkkkkkk !

THE MEDIAN INCOMES OF A BRAZ-ZERO FAMILY HAD INCREASED ON THE LAST FEW YEARS.... ,BUT HOW ABOUT THE AMOUNT OF PERSONAL DEBT?????????

Ahhh...ahhhh !

Is this a improvement or conspicuous consumption???? UNless this family used the debt to purchase an investment that has held its value or increased in value....ALL that has occurred is conspicuous consumption and a substantial drop in the family's net worth!!!!!!!!!

Keep borrowing at the Brazilian rate !! 52 % AVERAGE...all in all !
In Brazil the motto is....BUY ONE....BUT PAY TWO...OR THREE !

DONT WORRY AT ALL !

In the case of the Braz-zero economy that is primarily what has occurred. In the case of a family, instead of focusing on what they spend (THE GDP APPROACH) you focus on their net worth. Are they becoming wealthier or poorers. Why dont you focus on net worth to measure the state of the economy? Is there any surprise that government encourages you to spend???????
It may make you worse off but it makes GDP look better. The fraud is that GDP measures spending, regardless of debt or inflation. A country is like a family...It is not better off because it spends more. It is better off when its WEALTH increases, The proper measure of well-being is Net Worth, which is often negatively related to spending.

USE COMMON SENSE!!!!!! Educate yourselves and not trust the headlines,
Saving is not a sin.

Ahhhh....ahhhhh....ahhhh....ahhhh !

If inflation was accounted for...there would be almost no GDP growth!!!! They have to make the numbers look good. It’s all done for political reasons , PT( Partido dos trambiqueiros) will start to play a new game with the Brazilian currency, they must create a new bubble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you cant figure that out, then ask your entrepreneurs.
Or ask DILMUTT why SHE still borrows in NON BRAZILIAN CURRENCIES !!!!
Ahhh....ahhhh

With smilessssss

smilies/grin.gifsmilies/grin.gifsmilies/grin.gifsmilies/grin.gifsmilies/grin.gifsmilies/grin.gifsmilies/grin.gifsmilies/grin.gifsmilies/grin.gifsmilies/grin.gif
ch.c
written by João da Silva, December 08, 2012

Hello everyone. Especially to Joao !
I am backkkkkkk !

I am so glad that you are alive,well & back and bet our other distinguished (and not so important) bloggers share my joy. So the rumors about your early demise are not true. smilies/smiley.gif

Your latest comments make lots of sense one of them is:

If you cant figure that out, then ask your entrepreneurs.
Or ask DILMUTT why SHE still borrows in NON BRAZILIAN CURRENCIES !!!!

My question is: I would imagine the British bankers would be happy to lend their money to Brasil and then why "The Economist" wants Prez Dilma to fire Guido Mantega? The least the Brits can do is to remain "neutral" like you the Swiss and lend us their money for a lower interest rate to compete with you all. Something smells fishy , Komrad and we expect you to clarify for less informed peasants like me.smilies/cheesy.gif

BTW, this is the first time I heard the expression " PT( Partido dos trambiqueiros)"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!smilies/grin.gifsmilies/grin.gif
Dilmutts Dilema
written by Simpleton, December 08, 2012
The Pres isn't so different from my first ex (or not too much so or maybe I should overextend myself and say not at all). Of the assets that will ulimately be used to pay back the imprestadas are ones tied up in Sweden, Switzerland, Lichtenstein, Denmark, and other locations and, to a lesser extent, even in the US, but pay back the bills she ultimately will do and not in Reais.

smilies/cry.gif
Simpleton
written by João da Silva, December 08, 2012

The Pres isn't so different from my first ex

How many ex(es) you have and intend having in the future, Simpleton? Please clarify AS(A)P.smilies/cheesy.gif

Of the assets that will ulimately be used to pay back the imprestadas are ones tied up in Sweden, Switzerland, Lichtenstein, Denmark, and other locations and, to a lesser extent, even in the US, but pay back the bills she ultimately will do and not in Reais.

Very, very thought provoking comment! But...but...but..., is she up to it?

Dilmutt II
written by Simpleton, December 09, 2012
To answer your first question Joao, all I can say is you know me well enough to know I never intended to have any ex(es) and other than the second that finally hooked off, I never will. It's just the way the cooking crumbles and the ups and downs of brasilian economics that landed me in such troubles will resolve what ails things in all good time.

As to the second question, whether Dilmut can pay the bills when they come due, time will only tell and I would never expect that smutty face of your's to give away her answer to the settlement offers that have been tendered. Ricky says two for one is the target price, I say she'll get a bargin when she's decided she's ready for a bit more of the good ol' exchange rate. (We are staying on topic and talking econmics arn't we?)
Simpleton
written by João da Silva, December 10, 2012

(We are staying on topic and talking econmics arn't we?)

Yes we are and I´d love to stay that way, except when the situation requires a bit of "De-Icing".smilies/wink.gif

Sometime ago our vanished but....but....but... distinguished fellow blogger used to talk about "Right to work" laws implemented in certain states of your country. Recently I read that MI is also trying to implement it.

I think we Brasilians also have to seriously consider implementing this "law", as I have seen many small entrepreneurs going bankrupt, not because they violated the "labor laws", but...but....but... because any small businessman is considered to be a thief and a slave driver by the honorable judges in our "Labor Court".

What do you think of the law that has a fancy name of "Right to work"?
maybe
written by Simpleton, December 11, 2012
I'll leave it to our distinguished disappearing fellow blogger to return and comment on the fancy name thing, the need for more government rules and regulations, and how that's going to help adjudicate things by bankrupting more and more law abiding small entrepreneurs via the judiciary route in our beloved brasil.

Ain't it just like Joao to give a commentator a homework assignment? I'll have to go bone up on the subject after a bit of de-icing. What a slave driver and thief he is, even if he always does so quite honorably (i.e. didn't in any way make me feel I was violated so, law or no law, I won't take him to court.)

Also, thanks for reposting the parenthetical remark containing my spelling errors. I noticed those after posting and was a bit puzzled. After seeing them again I'm a bit more concerned about apparently atypical, repetitive and possibly patternistic mistakes affecting both the left and right. The right side has sensitivity issues and slips the third digit / is not always able to say NO (ecoNOmics). The left doesn't deal with insertion properly either. The first digit hits the right spot but the second doesn't follow the lead / go in the correct hole together side by side with it (aREn't).
Simpleton
written by João da Silva, December 11, 2012

Ain't it just like Joao to give a commentator a homework assignment?

I learned it from our other distinguished fellow blogger/writer, Ricky! He posts link for you to read and I assign a short and mind boggling homework for our smart fellow bloggers like your esteemed and respected good self. smilies/wink.gifsmilies/cheesy.gif

Now back to History: Years ago, when Dr.Sarney was the President of our Republic, the inflation was running sky high (almost a 100% per month) and the Brasilian economy was in doldrums. Many businesses were going bankrupt and wanted to cut down their labor force. To prevent those thieves from doing it, the government introduced a bill that required the businesses to pay 40% (more) of the FGTS ( Call it pension fund) that was being deposited in the Caixa Economica Federal.Since some employers had no working capital to so, they were forced to retain their surplus & unproductive labor waiting for the "sunny days" to come. For some they did and for others, it did not.smilies/sad.gif

This law continued even after the "Plano Real" and it became customary for the fired employees to go to the labor court (even after getting their 40%) and file suits against their employers and get extra money. The quantity of suits was increasing so much that the government had to hire more(highly paid) judges to resolve this "problem". But...but...but... Squiddy's Government came out with an "innovative" solution to finance the payroll of the judges and other important members of the labor court. Instead of 40%, now the employer has to pay 50%. 40% to the fired employee and 10% to the Labor "Tribunal".smilies/sad.gif

With this kind of law, who wants to be an "entrepreneur" in Brasil or how the heck do you expect the foreign investors to come flocking into the country?>smilies/sad.gif

BTW, I read MI did pass the bill.smilies/smiley.gif
The Entrepreneurial Bank of Brazil
written by Ricardo C. Amaral, December 12, 2012

The Entrepreneurial Bank of Brazil
http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/...genumber=3

instructional film with the Russian President Vladimir Putin.......
written by a.norlina, December 19, 2012
Thank you Sir,

It is important to learn Judo for self defense, thank you once again Mr Vladimir Putin for uploading this video for all of us

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f62myM2iPjE

Published on Nov 7, 2012

The original instructional film in which Russian President Vladimir Putin shares his favorite judo moves.

I have no doubt about that: Brazil will win another World Cup in 2014.
written by Ricardo C. Amaral, December 19, 2012

Ricardo: Now that Felipao is the coach of the Brazilian national soccer team, it is just a matter of time for Brazil to become once more the number 1 team in the world.

FIFA world ranking December 2012

http://www.fifa.com/worldranki...index.html

# 18 Brazil

By the way, Felipao will be able to put together a team to win the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

I have no doubt about that: Brazil will win another World Cup in 2014.

2014 World Cup in Brazil
http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/...did=255455

The Crumbling of America
written by Ricardo C. Amaral, December 19, 2012

The Crumbling of America
http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/...enumber=28

written by .., December 20, 2012

The Crumbling of America

At what time Nibiru-san is going to hit America?smilies/sad.gif
written by João da Silva, December 21, 2012

At what time Nibiru-san is going to hit America?

Esteemed Double-Dot,

I think Nibiru-san tucked the tail behind his hind legs and ran back to the outer galaxy he comes from.smilies/wink.gif
Great Music - Relax and Enjoy
written by Ricardo C. Amaral, December 22, 2012

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/...genumber=9

MERRY CHRISTMAS & AN EXCELLENT 2013
written by João da Silva, December 22, 2012

The Silvas would like to wish all our distinguished as well as non-distinguished fellow bloggers a very Merry X-Mas & a Happy 2013.

Hope Y'all have a wonderful and relaxing holiday season and come back fully charged to utter your customary "Pearls of Wisdom". smilies/wink.gif

BTW, I fully authorize ASP to crawl out of his Cabana and get some much needed sun tan.smilies/cheesy.gif

Cheers to all
written by asp, December 22, 2012
joao!! main man.....hope you have the best end of the year celibrations with your loved ones

what the heck, its cloudy, and its turning into a dudesenfest out here,would you please send over some of your fine ass skank model freinds to get the numbers back even again...it was a great couple of weeks before the clouds and dude infiltration...gees as soon as the word gets out that the fine ass booty is on the scene it turns into a feijoada sausauge fest....
Cheese to all and to all a good night!
written by Simpleton, December 24, 2012
Even with the cloudy days I am getting reports back on how preta even some of the most non-pardo brasileiras I know have been getting lately. And what's that asp? Nearly time to go back to Dresden? Perhaps it means you should make your seasonal hunting grounds elsewhere, many of the natives do check out, rent their abodes and go elsewhere to hunt when the infestation commences. It's just Hellerau isn't it when the ratio M/F doesn't work out?

Paz, tranquilidade, boa saude e boa vida para todos. 2013 sera diferente. Vamos torcer para que nao "vivemos em tempos interessantes" na forma que ia significou quando o chineses antiga dizem isso.

YUM
written by asp, December 24, 2012
what, simps? abandon ship after waiting thrugh cold ass winter? im on a beach, if i go inland to escape sausage, im missing what ever booty is going to be on the scene...ill just have to tough it out...i never understand the people that leave their abodes here to rent it out and "get away from the crowd"...and abandon the time that booty wags itself around on the sand ...if i leave this beach, its for another beach..anyway, one of the beach points here is frequented by lots of popozudas with extra ordinairy body parts...you dont find that on just any beach... im going to fight for may space...yeah , feliz bunda na praia para todos...
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
written by Ricardo C. Amaral, December 24, 2012

Ricardo: I wish a Merry Christmas and Healthy and Happy New Year to all our friends here at Brazzil magazine.

Have a great 2013!!!!!!

written by Ricardo C. Amaral, December 25, 2012

asp
written by João da Silva, December 25, 2012

.anyway, one of the beach points here is frequented by lots of popozudas with extra ordinairy body parts...you dont find that on just any beach..

I don't know, ASP. So far I've seen only "bagulhos" on the beaches. smilies/sad.gif Maybe Simp would appreciate them more than I do.smilies/wink.gifsmilies/cheesy.gif
written by asp, December 26, 2012
haha joao, what beach do you go to?

i just want to take a minute to say how much i love that brazzil dot com lets people say what ever they want, and, like we see ricy does, we can change to any sugject at any time ....

with that in mind, im in a debate on a blog and i want to cuss some people out so, legion, and any one else on that thread that would like to debate over here where i can use some correct curse words, dont hesitate to get here....it will be great for you ric, im bashing moan chumpski, you will fit right in...
by the way, very interesting, i heard on the news today:

BRAZIL IS THE COUNTRY WITH THE LARGEST AMOUNT OF CRACK COCAINE USE IN THE WORLD

ive been talking and talking about this havnt i? ive been saying it is contriguting to the decay of brazil and i remember once , former blogger thadeus blanchette tried to tell me it was an exageration, on his blog....bulls**t!! this s**t is for real, and , a part of it is tied into FARC, as i have always said and people like moan chumpski just dont get it calling them freedom fighters in his huge paper about colombia and its problems, devoting page after page to the military industrial complex but one paragraph to FARC....(ive said this before, this is for legion , sorry to repeat this fact to you all here)

this is just one example of the bulls**t and denial of the truth that some people are in a state of...f**k anti americanism
asp
written by João da Silva, December 26, 2012

i just want to take a minute to say how much i love that brazzil dot com lets people say what ever they want, and, like we see ricy does, we can change to any sugject at any time ....

Not only because we can change the topic, but....but....but... also I can practice my broken English. smilies/cheesy.gif

haha joao, what beach do you go to?

Very private and isolated one, ASP. I just don't want to reveal the name, lest the CIA,M.I.6, Gestapo, etc; may decide to send in their aging female agents to go after me.smilies/cheesy.gifsmilies/grin.gif

Cheers
http://www.aljazeera.com/indep...59862.html

would you look at this s**t ....this is al jazeera no less, no bias here...the taliban are scum bag f**king s**t

i support drone action by obama...i support him taking out that american al quaeda in yemen, mother f**k islamic fundimentalist terrorists...these mother f**king bitches got to terrorise us for these years, now there ass is being terrorised...hell yes

and f**k any mother f**ker that thinks that they can guilt trip me because unfortunatly there are some deaths to children, that is horrible, but, the amount of children the taliban kill in their bombings of civilians is huge...80 percent of deaths of civilians is because of taliban bombings in afghanistan and pakistan...anybody who is screaming bloody murder and wrapping them selves in "the children" is a hypocrite...they f**king dont care about "the children", when ever men strap on guns around the world, the children are the last thing anybody worries about...yet people are going to scream bloody murder at 159 children killed by drone attacks...they dont really care, its just some anti american bulls**t...war is horrible...i mourn the loss of any child killed by gun fire anywhere, especialy the beautiful children that get hit in the cross fire here in brazil, i am always so sad to see how really beautiful so many of them are when you see their picture....and the tv jornal said crack cocaine is most used in brazil than any country in the world...crack cocaine and arms brought to you in part by farc, who were supported by hugo chavez, and probably correa and morales...are the people screaming bloody murder at usa drone attacks going to scream bloody murder at hugo chavez? i f**king doubt it...the hypocracy boggles
Um chuveiro na quintal com areia
written by Simpleton, December 26, 2012
Ok joao, since you are so dedicated to protecting the location of your private isolated beach, I'll let the cat out of the bag so's to speak and rat you out.

Asp, don't stop preaching to the choir. People that start down that path (change over from coke to crk) become lost, a burden to society or dead.
24 Hours After Hiroshima
written by a.norlina, December 27, 2012
Guys,
check out this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY9VwCE_Dsg

Uploaded on Jan 9, 2011

Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.

This program tells the second-by-second story of a moment that changed the world forever: the dropping of the atomic bomb on August 6, 1945. Through the eyes of those in the air and on the ground, including the last interview with the weapons test officer who armed the bomb, we'll experience the events as they unfolded that tragic day.
Simpleton
written by João da Silva, December 27, 2012

Ok joao, since you are so dedicated to protecting the location of your private isolated beach, I'll let the cat out of the bag so's to speak and rat you out.

Currently I am not only "dedicated" to protecting the location of my private and isolated beach, but...but...but...fighting the "reverse racism" that is encroaching our state.smilies/sad.gif

Where the heck is Jake McCran, the scholar from down under???smilies/wink.gifsmilies/cool.gif

Cheers
not born to fight
written by Simpleton, December 27, 2012
nasci para vencer! Joao, might I suggest that on top of the well preserved "peach" you have seeing to your every "need" but not necessarily to your every "want" that you do a little "prepping"? A case of 12 gage slugs along with a jap made Browning double barrel side-by-side will do wonders for protecting that backyard of your's. They are non-racist ya know.
written by asp, December 28, 2012
wacha takin about, joao? what reverse racism?

simps, i was doing my anti american schtick to try to show some people on another blog , with language restrictions ( imagin how hard that is for me)how i really feel, with the apropriate words, i invited them over ....we could use some extra posters besides us 4....

ricy, you are so on time with your a bomb youtube, now i dont know how it is , i havent seen it yet, but, my fleeeeind , this is perfect for you to stand in and be my "proxy anti american" . i know you dont have an anti american bone in your body, you just live in joisey and have a joisey state of mind...so, i can tell these people that the typcial anti american f**k head just starts with the a bomb attacks by the usa in japan, never mentioning that the f**king war killed over 40 million people with some of the wors atracities in the world...and, my uncle was waiting on the boats and if he had to go in, he could have been killed along with several million japanese...im glad the war enede

and f**k anyone who tries to guilt trip me on it
asp
written by João da Silva, December 28, 2012

wacha takin about, joao? what reverse racism?

You betcha & rest assured I ain't going to put up with any of this s**t.This state is ours and no "negão" from the Nordeste is going to teach me how to fix the air-conditioner of my car nor a "negona" from Maranhão question my wife's professional competence. smilies/angry.gif

and f**k anyone who tries to guilt trip me on it

No way we are going to hold you responsible for all the muck-ups your forefathers and fore-mothers committed, ASP. If you give in to those that try to guilt trip ya, the first thing they are going to do is to say that you are the Great Grandson of Mrs.O´Leary .smilies/wink.gifsmilies/cheesy.gifsmilies/grin.gif

Cheers
folks from joisey
written by Simpleton, December 29, 2012
don't get me started on that asp! I'll one up ya on the familial war story links though. My father was one of twenty-nine entombed in a basement in Italy when they got shelled in. Days later five were dug out alive. If it weren't for some of the true americans, real heros, old school types like our dearly departed Daniel, the senator from Hawaii, for sure I wouldn't even be here. The dinosaurs soiled the earth far more than man ever has to date, did they have need to feel any guilt?
Delilah missile- The GOD FATHER OF ALL missile system
written by a.norlina, December 29, 2012
Simpleton
written by João da Silva, December 29, 2012

The dinosaurs soiled the earth far more than man ever has to date, did they have need to feel any guilt?

Simp, thank you so much for enlightening a simple peasant like me on the history of the dinosaurs.It is a pity that at that time there were no government regulatory agencies such as IBAMA,EPA,;etc to prevent those wretched creatures from soiling the earth. smilies/wink.gifsmilies/cheesy.gifsmilies/grin.gif

Cheers and a have a great New Year party!!!
Oliver Stone, on American exceptionalism and the historical revisionism....
written by Ricardo C. Amaral, December 30, 2012

Ricardo: I agree with Oliver Stone's views on this discussion as follows:

Oliver Stone: Obama a wolf in sheep's clothing – December 28, 2012

http://youtu.be/HVNMKu0TrMQ

RT's Abby Martin sits down with Academy Award Winning Director, Oliver Stone, and Historian Peter Kuznick, to talk about US foreign policy and the Obama administration's disregard for the rule of law.

Ricardo: This interview also is very good.

Oliver Stone Corrects American History – December 12, 2012

http://youtu.be/yLKCkm451dc

Abby Martin Breaks the Set with Oliver Stone, on American exceptionalism and the historical revisionism.

I don't believe in Gun Control

Ricardo: When the population gives up on their right to own a gun, they also give up on liberty.

Fear & Loading: Record gun sales as ban demand backfires – December 28, 2012

http://youtu.be/8jqbu0uXw3g

Gun sales are surging to record levels across the US. President Obama's pledge to tackle firearms ownership in the wake of the Sandy Hook school massacre has seen the shooting spree develop into a shopping spree for guns. RT's Gayane Chichakyan spoke to some of the store owners who're cashing in.

Going After Guns: 'You can't have police state & armed population' – December 28, 2012
http://youtu.be/iXPx7-IgjWY

For more analysis on the gun-control debate in the U.S., RT talks to Paul Craig Roberts, a former Assistant Secretary of the U.S. Treasury.

Staggering Gun Statistics In America

Staggering Gun Statistics In America – December 19, 2012
http://youtu.be/eQgqLN8GAwg

There are nearly 130,000 licensed firearms dealers in the United States. 51,000 are retail gun stores according to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Compare that to: 37,000 grocery stores, 14,000 McDonald's restaurants, and 13,000 Starbucks stores nationwide. That means there are almost two times more gun stores than McDonalds and Starbucks combined.

Government records show just in the month of November, Americans tried to buy 2 million guns. On Black Friday when many shoppers were looking for the deal of the year, potential gun buyers were out in full force setting a record for the second consecutive year.

On that single day, the FBI reported that its call centers were flooded with more than 154,000 calls from firearms dealers requesting background checks--a 20% increase from last year. The increase is believed to have been driven by fears that President Obama and other lawmakers would tighten gun control laws.

To close 2012: Enjoy this great stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!
written by Ricardo C. Amaral, December 31, 2012

Ricardo: I wish a Healthy and Happy New Year to all my friends who hang around Brazzil magazine.

To close 2012: Enjoy this great stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy the music of the "THE ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND".

Have a great 2013.

Ricardo Amaral
written by João da Silva, January 01, 2013

Have a great 2013.

Thanks Ricardo. All the best for you and your family in 2013.

I think the year is going to be difficult for our country, but....but...but....we shall survive as we have been doing during the past 500 & odd years.

Cheers
Regarding Brazil and the Brazilian Economy in 2013
written by Ricardo C. Amaral, January 03, 2013

Ricardo: Regarding Brazil and the Brazilian Economy in 2013:

President Dilma Rousseff should keep Guido Mantega as the Finance Minister in Brazil, and she should ignore “The Economist” magazine suggestion.

“The Economist” magazine suggested recently that President Dilma Rousseff should fire the Brazilian Finance Minister Guido Mantega.

President Rousseff should ignore this silly suggestion from “The Economist”, and take it with a grain of salt considering the source of such a suggestion.

Guido Mantega has been guiding the Brazilian economy the best way he can considering the massive mess that we have in Euroland, and also in the United States that affects the Brazilian economy.

Guido Mantega has been doing a superb job in putting in place the policies to protect the Brazilian economy, and place it in a path for prosperity in the coming years.

Finance Minister Guido Mantega should: Keep up the good work!!!!!

I understand that this attack by “The Economist” it is part of the “Currency Wars” that is going on - “The Economist” should concentrate and continue to give their precious advice to a bankrupt England and “The Bank of England’s” new boss Mark Carney; another gang member of “Goldman Sachs the Pillage People” and their network of thieves.

“The Economist”, and also the “Financial Times (UK)” doesn't like the interest rate, and currency policies that Finance Minister Guido Mantega, and the Brazilian Central Bank are following in Brazil, because they want Brazil to offer higher interest rates for the “Hot Money” - since Ben Bernanke (and the Federal Reserve) is keeping a very low artificial interest rate in the United States in a major effort to resuscitate the U.S. financial and economic system.

The “Currency Wars” is going to move to a new level in 2013 as the European Central Bank, the U.S. Federal Reserve, the Central Bank of China, the Japanese Central Bank, and the Bank of England under their new “Godfather” Mark Carney continue their race to the bottom.

Finance Minister Guido Mantega, and the Brazilian Central Bank should keep adjusting the interest rates in Brazil accordingly to the “Currency Wars”, and as the markets deteriorate in Europe and in the United States, they should continue to reduce further the interest rates in Brazil (Selic rate) to a level around 5 percent.

Many people asked me if the year 2013 will be a rough year for the Brazilian economy as it continues to adjust the internal market to achieve a sound economic and financial system for the long term.

I remind my friends that even though 2013 it will be a very tough year for the Brazilian economy – they should look at from the correct perspective: when compared with the massive mess in Euroland, and the US economy, and the adjustments in the Asian economies – the Brazilian economy it will do better than these other competitors.

There's an important adjustment that Finance Minister Guido Mantega still need to implement in Brazil to raise income for the Brazilian government, and also to bring a better foundation to the stock market in Brazil: Finance Minister Guido Mantega need to create and adopt a financial transactions tax (FTT) to kill high frequency trading (HFT) in Brazil, and the distortion, the market instability, and the pillage of assets that (HFT) brings to the stock market.

Regarding Brazil and the Brazilian Economy in 2013 and also an Economic Forecast for US Economy for 2013 and Beyond:
http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/...did=256220

desculpa
written by Simpleton, January 03, 2013
Ricardo, since your post above started out reading basically identical to a post you had made before on this site, I got bored and didn't bother to read on and see if you actually had something new and worthy to say. You need to stop repeating yourself.

If anyone knows someone looking to rent a three bedroom apto with full stainless steel kitchen with fogao com seis bocas, large living room with leather furniture, two baths and a veranda on the main floor plus a more or less full cobertura including secured bar, hammocks, party tables, chairs, churrasco, outdoor showers, etc., etc., and a extra suite suitable for a solteiro (well, maybe it's not exactly a suite because the banheiro has a public entry from the cobertura party zone) let me know. About 20,000 a month might be acceptable to the dona.
Reply to Simpleton
written by Ricardo C. Amaral, January 03, 2013

Ricardo: Simpleton, I don't want to confuse you.

Here is the new part of my posting that I wrote this morning:

“The Economist”, and also the “Financial Times (UK)” doesn't like the interest rate, and currency policies that Finance Minister Guido Mantega, and the Brazilian Central Bank are following in Brazil, because they want Brazil to offer higher interest rates for the “Hot Money” - since Ben Bernanke (and the Federal Reserve) is keeping a very low artificial interest rate in the United States in a major effort to resuscitate the U.S. financial and economic system.

The “Currency Wars” is going to move to a new level in 2013 as the European Central Bank, the U.S. Federal Reserve, the Central Bank of China, the Japanese Central Bank, and the Bank of England under their new “Godfather” Mark Carney continue their race to the bottom.

Finance Minister Guido Mantega, and the Brazilian Central Bank should keep adjusting the interest rates in Brazil accordingly to the “Currency Wars”, and as the markets deteriorate in Europe and in the United States, they should continue to reduce further the interest rates in Brazil (Selic rate) to a level around 5 percent.

Many people asked me if the year 2013 will be a rough year for the Brazilian economy as it continues to adjust the internal market to achieve a sound economic and financial system for the long term.

I remind my friends that even though 2013 it will be a very tough year for the Brazilian economy – they should look at from the correct perspective: when compared with the massive mess in Euroland, and the US economy, and the adjustments in the Asian economies – the Brazilian economy it will do better than these other competitors.

There's an important adjustment that Finance Minister Guido Mantega still need to implement in Brazil to raise income for the Brazilian government, and also to bring a better foundation to the stock market in Brazil: Finance Minister Guido Mantega need to create and adopt a financial transactions tax (FTT) to kill high frequency trading (HFT) in Brazil, and the distortion, the market instability, and the pillage of assets that (HFT) brings to the stock market.

Ricardo Amaral
written by João da Silva, January 03, 2013

Finance Minister Guido Mantega need to create and adopt a financial transactions tax (FTT) to kill high frequency trading (HFT) in Brazil, and the distortion, the market instability, and the pillage of assets that (HFT) brings to the stock market.

We already have one and that is called I.O.F (Imposto sobre operações financeiras), Ricardo. This tax is incident on every financial transaction and only the Savings a/c escapes this tax.
Simpleton
written by João da Silva, January 03, 2013

About 20,000 a month might be acceptable to the dona.

Why don't ya ask the "Dona" to send a direct e-mail to Donald Trump?smilies/wink.gif
written by nacionalista, January 03, 2013
Cristovam, sei que é um defensor da educação dentro da política, por isso votei em voce. mas falar mal da política social do governo PT que, com certeza, melhora a vida de grande parte da população, e vender essa imagem do nosso paísm não, não. Voce como político,francamente acha que daria pra fazer melhor? As festas são justamente para que nosso país seja bem visto (e pra outras razões é claro). Aí vem revistinha pra gringo ler transmitir a mesma imagem que a veja transmite.
Hoowao
written by Simpleton, January 04, 2013
I was speaking reias not dollars and Donald doesn't stay a month at a time. The palace next door currently has cheap suites available off season for about 1450 a night, two nights minimum and too many prying eyes. Besides, I'm setting up to go get my annual three months gratis sleep over time with private chef services which I would skip if 2014 / 2016 can get booked.
Here is a reality check for the people in the United States regarding the subject of “Gun Control”...
written by Ricardo C. Amaral, January 07, 2013

Ricardo: Here is a reality check regarding “Gun Control” that is missing in all discussions that is going on today including the politicians, the US government, the clueless Americans who are in favor of “Gun Control”, and also the clueless mainstream media in the old USA.

Here is a reality check for the people in the United States regarding the subject of “Gun Control”...

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/...enumber=29

They don't want people to read the following information posted at the thread: "Central Banks and US Dollar"
written by Ricardo C. Amaral, January 08, 2013

Ricardo: I just posted this info at the Elite Trader forum, they don't want people to read the information on this thread:

January 8, 2013

SouthAmerica: "Central Banks and US Dollar" is a thread started by SouthAmerica and it has been going on since December 4, 2006, but the Elite Trader moderator of the economics forum closed that thread today.

I guess they don't want people to read the material on that thread, since my last posting on that thread 3 weeks ago over 1,100 people check out that thread.

The thread is too popular and informative, and a lot of people are following that thread.

Anyway, today the “Central Banks and US Dollar' and the current thread “The Crumbling of America” is almost interchangeable, and you can read Part 1 of this discussion at:

Central Banks and US Dollar

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/...number=109

Here is the information that I was going to post today at “Central Banks and US Dollar”:

The Crumbling of America
http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/...enumber=29

Closer to home
written by Simpleton, January 08, 2013
Ricardo, can we talk about Brasil just for once? Not surprising your far flung and wide repetitiveness finally gets you barred. A quick looksee at your thread by only 1100 people in three weeks time clearly does not indicate you have any symptoms of popularity at all. How the heck you came up with thinking that somehow translates to the powers that be not wanting the common folk to read your stuff I have no clue.

Here's an interesting thing in Barron's: Brazil Walloped by Inflation, Energy, Fiscal Shenanigans

http://blogs.barrons.com/emergingmarketsdaily/2013/01/08/brazil-walloped-by-inflation-energy-fiscal-shenanigans/?mod=yahoobarrons

I sure wish my friends and acquaintences in Xerem and Duque De Caxias and nearby burbs could agree about the lack of rain fall being reported. INUNDAÇÃO!!!!
Simpleton
written by João da Silva, January 08, 2013

I sure wish my friends and acquaintences in Xerem and Duque De Caxias and nearby burbs could agree about the lack of rain fall being reported. INUNDAÇÃO!!!!

Ha,ha, Simpletone! I gotcha!!smilies/tongue.gif So your "Dona" friend has this mansion in one of the bairros in Rio, eh?smilies/grin.gif

Lemme tell ya something.For that kind of money we are talking about, ASP could easily rent his leaky cabanas for 19,250 Reais per month.smilies/wink.gifsmilies/cheesy.gifsmilies/grin.gif
Hmmm
written by Simpleton, January 09, 2013
Joao, the politicos that spend their "off" time in Xerem and the artesians that live there designing jewelry for the stars have nothing to do with the "Dona". And yes, I do get around a bit and go places completely the polar opposite of her "mansion" with a view of the mar. I'm at ease with people of all walks of life and socioeconomic status. I always have been. A suite in the favela is only 50 per month, has no view, and is probably alot more comfy, clean and safe than asp's leaky cabana although the commute to the beach via carrinho and metro or onibus might be a bit hairy for most gringos to tolerate.smilies/grin.gif

BTW, I like Lemme whether that's sleeping in a makeshift tent on the beach or up in the forest with folks I know who have been doing that for about the past twenty-five years or more. Home is where you make it.
written by asp, January 09, 2013
ha, joao, and miss all that booty that i suffer through the horrible dreary clammy cold winters missing it, and finily when its on the scene just leave it and rent it for money? i work to make money...some things in life are much more important than money...like being privy to female inner cheek symetry comparisons...my god look at this uptight world and how sensualy depraved they are...and its been cloudy anyway...any day that booty is on the scene , it has to be milked for all its worth...it just isnt guarenteed to be there tomorow...

hey, isnt this a guy that ricy has brought in here as some credible referance ?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/08/alex-jones-piers-morgan-cops-crackheads_n_2432839.html

ho ho hah ha
Simpleton
written by João da Silva, January 09, 2013

A suite in the favela is only 50 per month, has no view, and is probably alot more comfy, clean and safe than asp's leaky cabana although the commute to the beach via carrinho and metro or onibus might be a bit hairy for most gringos to tolerate

Finally it dawned on you, eh,old chap?smilies/wink.gifsmilies/cheesy.gifsmilies/grin.gif As someone who has traveled extensively, I fully concur with your view:" Home is where you make it." You can have a great time when you are spending $50 per night in a motel in Cove County or for R$50 for a suite in a favela in Rio.

But..but...but... we are still offering ASP's cabana for discounted price as mentioned in my previous post. Make sure you bring a big roll of Duct tape. smilies/smiley.gifsmilies/wink.gifsmilies/cheesy.gifsmilies/grin.gif

Cheers
rir grande
written by Simpleton, January 10, 2013
Joao, you damn near made me wake up the Dona of this casa busting a gut!

You did note that that was R$50 per MONTH, not per night (about the same price as a roll of Duct tape in chungking china ten years ago.) And do you really think that the really fricken cold breeze passing through the walls and flaps on asp's leaky cabana could be sealed up with only one roll?? His bevy of hut warmers were probably what got him kicked out of his Dona's house on a couple of occasions last winter. It's a hovel or hooch not someplace he needs Duct tape to hobble or humble himself.

Gerbils
Simpleton
written by João da Silva, January 11, 2013

Joao, you damn near made me wake up the Dona of this casa busting a gut!

Mah profound apologies, ole boy.Ah hope the Dona of your casa didn't wake up and snarl at ya for mixing up with lowly peasants like ma humble self. smilies/wink.gif

But...but...but... the Duct Tape (Made in the good ole U.S.of A) has a long and happy companion of Dona of mah casa. For years, roof of our cabana was leaking and one day she got so mad that she used a couple of rolls of the tape to fix the problem temporarily. But...but...but.it did help us to discover where exactly the leak was and our Condo administration fixed the problem permanently. smilies/grin.gif

I believe in "Techno-democracy" and I hope you do too.smilies/cheesy.gifsmilies/grin.gifsmilies/angry.gif

BTW, what's going on in Caracas & Havana? Who is in charge of Venezuela? In case you have some "inside" info, please keep us all updated.smilies/smiley.gifsmilies/wink.gifsmilies/cheesy.gifsmilies/grin.gifsmilies/angry.gifsmilies/sad.gifsmilies/shocked.gifsmilies/cry.gif
written by asp, January 12, 2013
that is the problem, joao, the press is making a big deal out of it like with fidel....they should just wait for someone to die before they start announcing it or making a big deal about it

i have no love for the blow hard but i just dont hope he dies, i never wanted him assasinated, all i ever wanted was just for the bloody truth of his bs to be brought out in the open...and never has really been addressed in brazil...as we face the ever increasing damage and violence that the crack cocaine and arms deals with various groups that include the farc that blow hard chaves helped , it seems crazy not to try to get at the fontes of these devastating problems...

duct tape...you aint kidding...is a staple of life for my apartment...
asp
written by João da Silva, January 12, 2013

Thank you so much for crawling out of your cabana and saying hi to all of us, ASP. I am sure you and your dear(&nearest) ones had a wonderful holiday season. smilies/smiley.gif

You wrote something interesting:

i have no love for the blow hard but i just dont hope he dies, i never wanted him assasinated, all i ever wanted was just for the bloody truth of his bs to be brought out in the open...and never has really been addressed in brazil.

I fully share your views on Hugo! I was hoping that he would be ousted out "democratically" in the Presidential elections in Venezuela last year. But...but...but... the povo of that country re-elected him (unlike Fidel), without perceiving that he was also establishing a dynasty. smilies/sad.gif

What is more shocking to us the Brasilians (Readsmilies/tongue.gifortuguese Americans) is that their STF came up with some C & B story that there was no need for him to be sworn in as the President again.smilies/sad.gifsmilies/shocked.gif

I am happy that Madame Rousseff didn't rush to Havana to personally console the "Comandante Presidente" like Cristina has done, but...but...but... instead sent Garcia to check the real situation.smilies/wink.gifsmilies/cheesy.gif

Many times I get amazed at our diplomatic skill.smilies/cool.gif
written by asp, January 14, 2013
well said , joao, and i agree about dilma...at least she didnt go trotting up there...but, then againa, kirchner got suit cases of cash from hugo as a contribution to her political campain, something the USA would get roasted over the coals if they were caught doing, so, she had an obligation to be there

i think the opistion in venezuela is going to have to learn, they have to give something to the people if they want to win an election...small handouts go a long way ...when will they ever learn
"Currency Wars" and Brazil replacing its US dollar reserves with GOLD.
written by Ricardo C. Amaral, January 14, 2013

Ricardo: Why the manager at the Elite Trader closed the thread "Central Banks and the US Dollar" on the economics forum?

I started that thread in December 4, 2006, and since then it's one of the most popular threads that they have had at the Elite Trader Forum with 134,000 views, and since they closed the thread the other day they had 2,000 views.

It is a great thread for people interested about the currency markets, what central banks are doing and the impact in many countries, and you also can see the comments about what has been happening in the currency markets, that thread is a great source of information for journalists, students, and currency traders with a lot of material, and the web links to relevant information about has been going on in the currencies markets for the last 6 years.

It is a very educational link for people to read about the currency markets and what is happening in the the "Currency Wars".

They closed this valuable source of information after my last posting related to the Brazilian central bank started replacing its US$ 400 billion dollars international reserves with gold reserves.

That really scared the Federal Reserve at a time when they are flooding the market with trillions of US dollars and turning the US dollar into confetti.

In that thread there is a lot of information that the Federal Reserve and US Treasury doesn't want you to see it.

It doesn't make sense for the manager of the Elite Trader forums to close one of its most popular threads with all that valuable information in one place, and it will become even more valuable in 2013 when the “Currency Wars” move to a higher gear.

The only reason that I can think of for them to close that thread is because my last posting raise the red flag and it is PANIC time at the Federal Reserve and US Treasury, and they were told to close that thread.

Here is the posting that created the “PANIC” and crisis at ET.

Central Banks and the US Dollar
http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/...number=109

December 12, 2012

SouthAmerica: Finally the Brazilian central bank started replacing its US$ 400 billion dollars international reserves with gold reserves.

In an effort to diversify the central bank reserves in September/October 2012 alone the Brazilian central bank bought 19 tonnes of gold with more purchases to come.

Congratulations - a very smart move by the Brazilian central bank!!!!!

By the way, the Financial Times (UK) had an article on December 11, 2012 "Brasilia joins Latin American gold rush".

The article mentioned that in 2011 Mexico bought 100 tonnes of gold, and besides Brazil, Paraguay, Argentina and Colombia also bought some gold in 2012.

got bored again
written by Simpleton, January 15, 2013
Ricky, can you even do simple maths? 2006 until 2013 is more or less seven years. 134,000 hits over this time frame is about 2000 hits per year. That is not even close to being "popular" and certainly not something the elitetrader website would boast about or feel somehow would conceivably generate revenue for them. 2000 hits in a day after your thread was closed? Yep, pretty much the same as the past 7 years (just divide 134,000 by 7 and then "assume" over half of those weren't your own hits). Ya, right, the feral reserve is really really scared of you and what you expose. For sure they intentionally shut you down and are working actively to silence you.

Superfluous was a word I learned for the first time while failing miserably my first mid-term exam in fourier analysis. My prof could see in my eyes that I was very very sick at the time and I pleaded with him before allowing to take the papers from my hands that I needed for him to understand that the work I was submitting was not something that fully reflected my true ability and potential. He became a believer after the next mid-term exam. I was the only one that got a 100 and he was proud to announce that fact to the whole class.

Are you pleading with us that you are very very sick? That you can only survive based on the work of others? If the posting of websites, links and connections to the original work of other's is all that you can do, what are you in reality?
for ch.c
Ya, forgive my error in the brazeroooos, statistically that's less than 20,000 hits per year vs 2000 hits in one day after ricky was eradicated / blocked out. Who woulda thunk it?
Reply to Simpleton
written by Ricardo C. Amaral, January 15, 2013

Ricardo: First, yes. I can do the math, but you as usual is making a fool of your self one more time with your silly comments.

In all the years that I have been reading your comments and replies on Brazzil magazine, I would say that I learned nothing from you, and 99 percent of your postings has been a waste of time not only to me, but also to the other readers of Brazzil magazine.

We have established on the past, and have discussed here on Brazzil magazine, that you are not that smart, and your writings shows that you have a low level of education.

Regarding you, In my opinion, there's nothing there.

By the way, that thread started in December 2006 and it was closed at the end of December 2012. If you had done the math correctly, then you would have realized that 6 years is the right answer.

People like you who probably never produced anything of value your entire life, and still have the balls of criticize the work of other people that you don't have even the minimum intellect required to understand their work – a work away above your grasp.

For a few years the discussion on that thread was mostly between a few members of Elite Trader that including myself, and when people started finding out about the content of that thread, then the viewership of that thread exploded from about 40,000 to 134,000 in no time.

There are over 900 web sites linking In to Elite Trader including The Wall Street Journal, BusinessWeek, The Economist, Business Insider, Seeking Alpha, many major newspapers, various universities, and other organizations and media in general that are interested in the stock market.

The numbers of people reading the Elite Trader forums reflect the quality of the people who are reading the information and not the quantity of people.

It is a targeted audience.

Yep, target the audience
Of course I provide no elucidation to anyone on this site, just a quick laugh from time to time but you on the other hand have been laughed at for so long and so hard and so many times and by so many people nobody even wants to even look through the details of your bs anymore. December 2012, not some time in 2013 was when your prideful thread got shut down? Why the hell you couldn't have simply stated that before shows just how much you have zero education (actually more likely to be an education with zero value), zero idea regarding simple logical things, and just how full of holes all your nonsense stories and theories are. And there you go again, trying to make yourself somehow look big by drawing in names of large companies and very visible media-wise people (and this time reputable - we all know asp's opinion regarding some of your usuals) that somehow, that endorses you because they do scoop and crosslink the work posted on your favorite site. So 134K in six years instead of 134K in seven years is a huge difference? Percentage-wise yes, total number wise it is still just squat kind sir. Exactly when over that six year period did the hit count you think is accurate begin the rapid escalation from 40K to 134K? You already said the hit count jumped 2K AFTER the thread was closed. How can that be? The thread was closed!
written by ..., January 15, 2013

It is a targeted audience

Das Ziel zerstört!smilies/wink.gifsmilies/cheesy.gifsmilies/grin.gif
Hugo Chavez
written by adrianerik, January 16, 2013
Support for Hugo Chavez should always be considered in light of the alternatives. I like Chavez...as opposed to the small white racist elite...who dominated the oil industry and ran the country like their private club for years. They essentially enriched themselves and allowed 75% of the Venezuelan population to rot for decades. Their control extended into the congress and the judicial systems...all of them ruled by "elites" of the same class who excused each other's indiscretions (reminds me of the only Portuguese speaking country in South America). If there exists a less radicalized opposition to them than Chavez, that's well, fine and good. Absent that opposition and given the choices, I support Chavez. For one, Chavez has proven, to the chagrin of the quasi-fascists in Venezuela, that democracy--government by the people, for the people--actually works, regardless of educational level. Remember, just after Chavez was elected, the first response of the fascists was a coup (supported by Condeleeza Rice and George Bush, the only country in the world to recognize a coup against a democratically elected president. to the embarrassment of the U.S. the coup was put down the next day). I like the power that the "chavistas" have right now because they have NOT usurped the democratic process. To the contrary, they have said that you won't win by a coup and can only win by appealing to the people in a fair contest. Even Brazil can take a lesson from this in areas where political parties are more powerful than the people and candidates who were rejected by the people find their way into office.
Reply to Simpleton
written by Ricardo C. Amaral, January 16, 2013

Ricardo: You are a loser, and you know that. A loser who accomplished nothing his entire life, and a loser that likes to give your worthless Blah, Blah, Blah here on Brazzil magazine

Your above posting is another waste of time as usual, and I have no time to waste with an idiots like you.

If you don't like my postings, there is a very simple solution to correct that problem:

When you see one of my postings and one of my articles just don't read it - that would be good for everyone including all the readers of Brazzil magazine, since most of the material that I post is away above your understanding and grasp.

Reply to adrianerik
written by Ricardo C. Amaral, January 16, 2013

Ricardo: Adrianerik, on this video Pepe Escobar said something interesting when he said that Chavez lifted the boats of a larger percentage of the population of poor people in Venezuela, than Lula was able to lift the boats of poor people in Brazil.

Chavez Health Crisis: 'Rivals to play on political vacuum fears' - January 8, 2013
http://youtu.be/vsQgyF07QdU

Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez is to miss his inauguration deadline, postponing the ceremony indefinitely due to poor health. Pepe Escobar from Asia Times Online told RT

Um cento porcento correta
written by Simpleton, January 16, 2013
"You are a loser, and you know that. A loser who accomplished nothing his entire life, and a loser that likes to give your worthless Blah, Blah, Blah here on Brazzil magazine."

You are right Ricky, you have labeled yourself almost perfectly. And maybe someday you will actually have a decent command over the english language. So many times when you are basically just frothing at the mouth your lack of it shows through very clearly. I don't correct you on it, nor does anyone else. Much like we don't correct forrest on his spelling and typos. As far as your understanding and grasp goes all I can think of to suggest is that you stay the heck out of the areas you frequent, stop smoking the s**t you obviously have been smoking and stop injecting that crap that has invaded your veins and infected your thought processes. If you didn't notice, this article wasn't one written by and posted by you. It's an article by our good and scholarly friend Cristovam and yet you can't stop yourself from spraying like a tomcat.
written by asp, January 17, 2013
adrian , too bad you feel that way....i always laugh when people bring up the coup, since huge did his own failed coup also.... i mean cmon

and, for sure, it was because of extremly horrible leadership before and exploitation and elite interests that gave a chance for someone like chavez to get the favor of the people. its amazing he can give so little and get that support, because in the oil rich nation of venezuela, the problems of violence, electric failures, sometime food shortages etc are cronic

if chavez only dealt with the problems of his country, it would be one thing, but, the overwelming evidence of serious imperialistic behavior and blow hard hot air dogmad rhetoric make him a distabilising force in south america.

on this blog, i have linked farc to fernando beira mar, the pcc, mato grosso leutenants of beira bar as well as the sons of beira mar recetnly, activity in the north amazon area and bahia

the farc are one of various groups who are raping brazil with cocaine and arms sales to huge drug traficking gangs, a process i have seen deteriorating in a big way for the last 12 years, decimating brazilian society....with the most recent notice being, brazil is now the number one user of crack cocaine....do i need to link this up for you all?

huge chavez has been connected with farc in a huge way, besides the fact that guns he brought from the swizz were found in farc hands, the attack on the farc encampment in equador, revealed tremendous connections of money, arms and help that chavez gives to the farc

im really surpresed at your statement, adrian

god am i interested in the truth, not agendas and dogmad rhetoric

chavez , by supporting the farc in the past has contributed to the decay and decimation of brazilian society with cocaine and arms that contribute to addiction and a huge amount of violence deaths, because of gang rivalries and police battles, with lost bullets exacting a huge toll on brown and black children in brazil

to top that off, he sent suitcases of money to political candidates he supports on other countries , and with his support of farc, contributing to covert action against the colombian government, this makes this blow hard who rants about american imperialism,the most imperialist of them all

seriously, adrian, how could you make that statement?
the hypocracy in this world today is absolutly mind boggling and disgusting

while people are screaming about 179 children killed in drone strikes against the taliban and al quaeda, these son of a bitches are turning children into suicide bombers and 80 percent of civilian casualities in afghanistan are done by the islamic extremists...do people follow what is happening in pakistan at all? the slaughter by the taliban on their own islamic people is just horrific....they came in after that girl was flown to london and killed 6 vacine workers...

islamic fundamentalism is taking the world hostage and people are screaming bloody murder at drone strikes...look what is happening in africa right now, these sob's need to be stood up to in a big way...

i support the usa, the french army and the pakastan army, who did a recent attack on the taliban, and any and everyone who will stand up and fight these fundamental religious fanatics anywhere in the world and including any christian or jewish religious fanatacism as well...f**k that s**t...

AND , WHILE BRAZIL JUST WON THE AWARD FOR BEING THE BIGGEST CRACK COCAINE USER IN THE WORLD, THE HUGE DRUG GANGS PUSH AT THE FABRIC OF BRAZILIAN SOCIETY AND KEEP THEIR DRUG DEALING GOING WITH FARC , WHO WERE SUPPORTED BY CHAVEZ, ALSO PURPETUATING DEATHS BY GUN FIRE IN BRAZIL TO NUMBERS AS BIG AS IRAQ, THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO THINK THE USA IS GETTING READY TO INVADE SOUTH AMERICA, AND ACTUALY THINK HUGO CHAVEZ IS JUST HUNKY DORY

HYPOCRACY IS JUST A BITCH
my god, its just amazing, the times....

i considered myself on the left, i hate the concervative republicans, and their lies and their basic concepts ...

but , its amazing the "new left", where , all of a sudden, sending drones against the taliban, finaly terrorising them instead of them terrorising the world ,is bloody murder of children...forget the children the taliban kill , and they are turning kids into suicide bombers...these people are scum, fundamental islamic terrorism is scum, all releigious fanatical violence is scum...but, no, obama gets scrutinised and criticised and screamed at....

the french get ready to go in to deal with blatent funamentalist crud and already the colonoliast excuses are being dragged up, anything but really try to confront these lunatics...they are religious fundamentalists, they will do anything and everything because their god tells them it is ok

moan chumpski and concervative conspiricy theory obama haaters suddenly hold hands and scream about obama. chavez is celibrated because he could stand up and call america imperialist...people have been happy for a while to re write history and forget about the truth in the last 60 years, with numbers of deaths in struggles in the cold war all atributed to the usa with no blame given to the communists who willingly took their violent revolutions all over the world, fidels cuba was in 17 countries in africa but it was all the fault of the usa, or any responsibility for the local oposing sides who willingly called in the support by the super powers, to train how to make bombs and get arms and kidnap and rob banks.pretty much same story all over the world in the cold war...then the soviet union colapses...all that god damned fighting and defending against an ideology that was so flawed it caved in on itself...

but all that is forgotten for half truths and lies

yeah, i thought i was left, but, i cant get behind the half truths and lies, like moan chumpskit throws out there....anything to stop obama from using drones....f**k that, assymetricly terrorise those sob's also, they think they can slaughter and terrorise the world and we all will cower...i hate the fact that innocent children get killed, but, nobody cars about the innocent children that these fanatics killed in their civil war before the americans came , or the children during the last 10 years in afghanistan or pakistan, or anywhere else they kill children...nobody cares about theim....the hypocracy
adrianerik
written by João da Silva, January 17, 2013

Hi,

Great to hear from ya again. Happy 2013 to your nearest and dearest!

I must admit that your comments on Col.Chavez are quite thought provoking and open for civilized debate.smilies/wink.gifsmilies/cheesy.gif

You said:

For one, Chavez has proven, to the chagrin of the quasi-fascists in Venezuela, that democracy--government by the people, for the people--actually works, regardless of educational level.

I agree that Hugo is not a push over and I respect his stance. After all he is a graduate of their Military Academy and no doubt he is a nationalist.But...but...but...IMHO, he has been working hard to replace the crony fascism in Venezuela with his crony "socialism" (like his Guru Uncle Fidel) and quite succeeded.Castro Dynasty in Cuba and Chavez dynasty in Venezuela? Great stuff.smilies/wink.gif

But...but...but... I agree with you that Col.Hugo democratically set up his dynasty, while Uncle Fidel didn't want any of his "subjects" to have any say in the "democratic" process.(BTW, do the Cubans vote?). smilies/wink.gif

Their control extended into the congress and the judicial systems...all of them ruled by "elites" of the same class who excused each other's indiscretions (reminds me of the only Portuguese speaking country in South America)

I don't know and only the future will say. The "only Portuguese speaking country", may break the hold of the "elites" on the peasants and the "dick less" middle class, with the neutrality of our judicial system that is being presided by a "Colored Gentleman". smilies/smiley.gifsmilies/wink.gifsmilies/cheesy.gifsmilies/grin.gif

Cheers
written by adrianerik, January 18, 2013
Many do not consider what Chavez is doing as "socialism" in the Marxist-Leninist sense. Actually the reason why many find it hard to criticize Chavez is that his definition of socialism focuses on increasing the power of the excluded. His is a "social socialism" much less than an economic socialism. All "capitalist" indicators have increased under Chavez: businesses, private capital, private purchases of capital equipment as well as major infrastructure investment by the government to include more of the excluded population in the industrial development. University education has more than doubled. Chavez and his political party has to work hard each election to CONVINCE THE PEOPLE that his ideas work for them and to EARN their votes. That does not seem to me to be equal to the fascist domination of Venezuela by the oil oligarchy.

@asp - Who should govern Venezuela should go deeper than who forms alliances with FARC. The United States still protects the poppy crop in Afghanistan because that is how thousands of Afghan farmers sustain themselves. If they destroyed the crops, then poor farmers make good recruits for the Taliban. It is a pragmatic decision one makes. To suggest that FARC has no aim in life except to deal drugs is to misunderstand what and what FARC is. They are comprised mostly of poor blacks and indigenes who have been forced off their lands for decades and regulated to the bottom of Colombian life. There is a documentary on those communities who support FARC and they have their children who they wish to grow up drug-free and have a good education and not have to become darkskinned prostitutes in Cali or Bogota or sell drugs.

There are wings of FARC (about 1/10 of the group) who, like the right wing militias have established relationships. But to then use the name FARC as being representative of the entire movement is to generalize a complicated situation.

I don't know why my position on Chavez is that complicated. In a world where a man can only choose between a robber and a murderer, I would (pragmatically) applaud the man who robbed. Jesus didn't say "applaud" but he spoke the same sensibilities in the Bible (regarding the hungry man who stole).

Brazilian misery existed long before crack and Beira Mar. Today, the miserable just refuse to die behind the brick social walls where they were hidden. Brazil can best eliminate the Beira Mars by instilling in each Brazilian citizen the dream that they can have "emprego, uma casinha, e uma mulher bonita" as spoken by a 17-year old youth in Bangu, in Rio de Janeiro.
written by asp, January 18, 2013
"Today, the miserable just refuse to die behind the brick social walls where they were hidden. "

oh , so, they have an alternative to become drug dealers or farc....

how little you underestimate the poor, who only a small percentage turn to these activities....im in agreement about brazilian society needs to confront its ways of dealing with poverty and racism...

who said that this wouldnt be going on without farc? the point is how farc is tied into how this cocaine crack thing escalated...ive seen it with my own eyes..in the last 12 years, its seeped into areas all over brazil...and farc is one of the factors that contributed to this..yes, there is personal responsibility to be accounted for as to who picks up a gun and shoots it, and, how racism and economic poverty affects peoples lives, but, actual factors that contribute to notable decline over this perioud of time , are extremly clear and relevant...certainly it points out the shallowness of farc and hugo chavez

again, im amazed at your denial at how serious this is and i dont agree with your portrayal of farc...the main leader of farc died in venezuela, and chavez gave a eulagy for him...farc crossed into venezuela at will, chavez was seriously implicated on the farc leutenant reyes computors...this is seriously destabilising for the area

you seem to think all these wonderful things have happened in venezuela, when i saw reports of food shortages, caracas is one of the most violent cities in south america, i havent seen any reports that venezuela is an economic gang buster in the area, and, it is oil rich...adrian, i think you skewed your report or read a skewed report...

most of the leaders of farc are white and i dont think the people in farc are representative of brown and black people in colombia. what? you see some brown and black people in farc and you think that is a factor? just super impose if there are brown and black people and it makes it ok...that is what they are doing now with the drones and taliban...people are screaming america is killing brown and black people with the drones. america makes war on brown and black people...what a lot of pure bulls**t...

if that is the way the new left is going, count me out , because its going to step on its own dick with the half truths , lies and bulls**t it is putting out now

what about 700 prisoners dragged around in CHAINS in the slimey jungle? everyone screams about guantanamo and they get religious oreineted meals, do the farc prisoners get that? oh , i see, this is the one tenth part of farc.....cmon adrian...you know the new left seriously implicates itself by basing its foundation on weak lies and rationalisations that have picked up the same old soviet union propaganda page and adds some new twists...if you show truth, this foundation starts rattling and threatons to crumble...take it back to the drawing board and tweak it....the new left sucks big time now..they must feel they have to sink as low as the right...after all, one side stinking to high hell isnt enough, everyone has to stink

i cant beleive you tried to break it down to the violent part of farc is 1/10th of the real farc...my god, adrian, im going to call that a "chumpskiism" , in honor of moan chumpski, for trying to rationalise a bunch of thug drug dealer, kidnappers

that is too bad , adrian...."the new left" just cant deal in looking at the real truths, they have to take the s**t out to left feild and be as big bulls**tters as the concervative right

i dont want s**t to do with any of them...too many lies

seriously, adrian, i got mad respect for you, but, im sorry to hear your views on son of a bitch hugo chavez...i dont give a f**k if he comes back and rules again (yes, he was elected democraticly, but, i wonder why people like you dont get a little worried how he has extended his term past the original term...after all, at least we could get rid of bush and chenney after 8 years), i just want his bulls**t exposed and how he is really a destabilising affect in south america

i see you dont want to really look at the truth about hugo chavez

good point, joao, about lining his cabinet with his ideologued cronies
asp
written by João da Silva, January 18, 2013

good point, joao, about lining his cabinet with his ideologued cronies

Ah ain't talking about His ideological cronies, ASP. I am pointing to the Nepotism practiced by Hugh and Fidel. Just check how many "kith
and kin" of Hugh that are in power in Venezuela.smilies/angry.gif

Hugh was a Col and was "democratically elected", right? On the contrary, none of our Presidents from 1964-1985 were done so and didn't create their dynasty of their own. But...but...but... the Coroneis in the NE (include the "intellectuals" who were in "exile"), have succeeded in continuing to outwit and outsmart the the clueless majority of the Brasilians.

Many times I used to wonder if our voting system has to be obligatory. Then I came to the conclusion that it has to be, just to galvanize the "silent" middle class to act and not to complain. Why are we so afraid to send in the e-mail to the proper "authorities" expressing our discontent for their lack of "managerial skill"? I don't know how it works in other parts of Brasil, ASP, but...but...but... it does work in PR & SC.

Cheers

You're mixing a lot of stuff, asp, and much of it too emotionally. (a disclaimer...I KNOW people who work with FARC, some of them are on FB) I would support a socialist over a fascist any day, any week, any month, any year. THAT was the duality of my statement. If you don't present a third alternative, then I can ONLY assume that you support fascists. (stop! don't get emotional, the operative word is "IF".). The world is not clean, so choices are not clean. I have no problem with his extending his term. Democracy is not some nimble cat that always lands on two feet. One of the few times that I've agreed with Amaral on this site is when he posted some material about "democracy not ALWAYS being the first iniciative of a developing society." Bismarck and his role in diminishing the role of German princes with the aim of a larger Democratic society comes to mind.

Anyway...yes...I have no problem with that. What I see asp, is it's easy to be against anybody if one is not clear about involved what one is FOR. That enables a person to measure and evaluate an event, not idealistically but pragmatically.

it's you who choose to measure the HDI aspect of Venezuela by whether a government has eliminated crime. Any government can play that game. Repression, besides repressing your citizens, eliminates crime. Any site can show the increase of the Human Development Index in Venezuela. Deaths from births reduced in half, university enrollment doubled, etc. A strategy that seeks to eliminate social pathologies not by repression but by ground up social empowerment of it's people is laudable. Despite the crime, there is a faith that the nobility of an excluded people will arise if you take the boot off their neck and offer them valid opportunities. Before you criticize Venezuela and Chavez, I would need to see your evaluation of Brazil, where the strategy had been...and still is...in many areas...the opposite of Venezuela. Brazil's attitude on crime is repressive, not just of criminals but also of entire communities that have been criminalized. Brazil shoots crack users, marijuana users, as well as the dealers all to the delight of the millions who watch Na Mira, Se Liga Bocao, Alerta Geral and all of the other shows that profit off the misery of its people.

Just the same, asp, there are times that people preach to themselves so often that they only hear their own scriptures. Anything else that enters their ear is heresy. Life is not clean. I remember someone asking Mandela why did the ANC have ties to the then Soviets. He said "because they were the only ones giving us guns to shoot the racists". I have a clear set of prioritized human rights issues in my head. And I go down the list in my evaluations of local and world events. For all of the talk of "destabilizing South America" there are few countries in South America that I would like to see Venezuela imitate. Maybe Uruguay. There are many countries that I would like to see imitate Venezuela. (I must admit, Brazil is making some steps. Up until the mensaleiros, out of hundreds of cases, only about 4 persons had been sentenced by the STF. So....we'll see.) A taxi driver in Rondonia said "when we leave 5 or 6 of the politician's bodies in the streets, then things will change." That was on a public broadcast. (a disclaimer: those are NOT MY words.) But...they were words interesting to hear.
adrian, lots of people in brazil know farc...they hang out with mst...they were at the foro in sao paulo...they are third or fourth cousins to the pt...if you are saying they have funtionaries who arnt in combat...so what? they support the ones in combat and frankly, the ideology they beleive in is seriously flawed, and im amazed at people who havent figured that out yet with a clear priority of human rights in their head

the problem with leaving a few bodies in the street is that, it can bring a surpresion that is much harder and brutal...or, it can set the movement back , like what happened when the simion liberation army tried violence and the sds combined with some bank robbers and it ended miserably in nyak new york....there was a huge public swing over to nixon and agnew...leaving bodies in the street can leave huge concequences...again,this smacks of the new left , that wants to visit the old old left, and, forget the truths they never wanted to remember..

please, save your dual pluralities for your own rationalisations why you would defend that blow hard...hypocracies need to fan out dual pluralities, its all intellectual mumbo jumbo.... you brought up that aspect of venezuela, and, the same way you dont buy into every crime statistic, i dont buy into just any report that sais things are just wonderful in venezuela...not that those aspects might be, and, that is my point, chavez should be dealing with his people, not sending money in suitcases to politions he likes and supporting farc, and, plenty of things seem to be coming out of venezuela that indicate many things in peoples lives arnt so hunky dory...but, if you want to buy into what ever statistics you read and just beleive it , that is fine with me

its just funny that with the notice that brazil is the highest consumer in crack cocaine, statistics of young people dying that rival iraq, that you wouldnt admit that chavez support for the military , drug dealing, kidnapping aspects of farc had some contribution to this devastation in brazil done by crack cocaine and arms dealing...your lack of admision to those hypocracies speaks volumes on your dualities

adrian, your statement of sizing up where you have to come from based on your own judgements is your own game...dont put it on me...you can manipulate all your conclusions to the way your emotions would like it to be....i refuse to be a part of a new left that will actualy think venezuela is a great example, that there is some ideological hook up with islamic fundamentalism ( not saying you beleive this, but, it is one of the new left directions)or for sure give them a pass, a new left that still wants to condemn the usa for all the wrongs in the world (again, i dont know if you say this, but, hugo sure did) and who keep forgetting that 100 million people died because of communism and that is why it got so dirty in the cold war, yet they keep bringing up things that only the usa did and leave out the other half.
and , its frustrating, adrian....i admire a lot of exactly what a guy like you is doing out here

you got my respect by your actions, but, i dont respect all of your postions on these issues...with such blatent truth out there, to hear you defend chavez , with all due deep respect, does pain me, as do many atitudes i see coming out in these , what apear to be ever more urgent times...for sure , you have no obligation to care about my pain, it is a personal dilema that no one can really address for me , now,but, i fear the pain for all the far right and left people who are telling half truths on all sides , to satisfy their agendas , will be greater than mine in the long run
I look far beyond personalities. And no sorry, I can't feel your pain. I've been in Brazil ten years and I've known more young people who I know personally that have been killed by police in that time than I've known in 40 years in the States. I can't feel their pain either and if I could, I wouldn't make it public.

That makes it about me. I don't need to come to South America to have people worry about me. No one should.

The thing is, I've also worked (and am working with)older Baianas, I'm actually writing a play about their lives, and I've seen the wreckage of their lives. They've told me about the lost sons and husbands whose lives were destroyed long before there was a Beira Mar or a crack epidemic and long before there was a Chavez. One of my good friends is a retired Policia Militar in Rio. He told me much about what he calls "the dirty war" long before these 'personalities' you refer to appear on the scene.

Therefore, I require analysis beyond personalties. As do many people I know. I resent the ideas of one's intelligence being controlled by agendas. There are many ways to be patronizing. That is one of them. It assumes that rational human beings are not in the equation, that people are Borgs with one eye ripped out of its sockets while others have this (natural?) ability to "see" more clearly. It assumes that one sees 'truth' while others are blinded to it by their "irrational" addiction to their agendas.

A fighter in the ring does not duck and weave to imaginary jabs and uppercuts. He is rational about every step he takes unlike those at ringside who duck and weave in their seats and throws throws fists in the air.

I and people I know are not blind to the excesses of certain leaders. It's just that when you meet two opponents on the road you'd better be quick and careful...and rational...when deciding which one to smash in the nose first.

Intelligent minds can disagree...intelligently.
written by asp, January 19, 2013
adrian, ive been in brazil 26 years and i know the drug dynamic has been in place for longer. just look at a great film like "rio babalonia", made in the early 80's, it depicts exactly that dynamic, although rather quaint compared to now....they had crack o landia back then in rio...

but, i cant beleive you dont notice the differance since beiramar was busted with farc...i mean, there has been a serious flood of cocaine and crack and arms come in since then, it has hyped up like steroids. and, funny, poor people are getting hurt worse than anyone...as usual...the amount of drug busts for crack where i live has become cronic...there used to be 4 or 5 busts a year, now, a week doesnt go by without a bust of crack

i dont have a car, like most poor people, the final bustop in centro, on our line is a crack cocaine den, buses got burned on my line from the huge pcc/co ordinated with our local gangs, rampage that assasinated policemen and women (i remember one atractive young black woman policeman assasinated just because they are selling lists with police peoples dados)

murders , based on drug traficing, in the areas surrounding where i live, have escalated to an alarming rate

its the cocaine/arms aspect that is especialy devastating and is farc's specialty in all this. marijuana should be legal...period...crack cocaine is devastating to the user and society...and there has been an unbeleivable flood of crack cocaine into the fabric of society here...poor people have to bob and weave to deal with that reality

im particularly perplexed how we tie the social struggle, racism , discrimination against black brazilians , into ideological flawed political agendas and end up defending people like chavez, as though his way at all will have anything to do with solving the problems you are talking about...he has exhasperated these problems by supporting a group that floods brazil with cocaine and arms

and, im perplexed this man gets your valued , because i do value your opinion, support about how he helps poor people. the kind of person i could really get behind , would be able to take the immence oil wealth venezuela has and do so so so much more with that oil money to make a differance in people's lives....i mean the schooling and health care done by him and fidel, is nothing to criticise, i absolutly do think that is great, too bad that is not what life is all about, it entails so many other things for a person to really be able to realise their potential. you do know that fidel's cuba was cited as racist by a group of black scholars, so , obviously, his flawed ideology didnt eliminate that most ominous of all the problems that face the americas and their denial of the legacy of slavery and how it affects societies in the americas that brought slaves from africa..this i beleive very strongly and get behind any movement that really confronts that

i also stress that , yes, he gets democraticly elected and the oposition had better start getting that they have to offer something to poor people , now...they better get that if they do want a change

i wonder , adrian, if maybe, being on the front lines as much as you are, and i do consider what you are doing, being on the front lines, that you are a little shell shocked.maybe you have lost how much progress you are making and are getting frustrated with the realities you see going down around you.

you talk about the people you know coming to certain desicians..but, that is what i mean about some evolving "new left"..that is abandoning any progress , in the face of a horrific right elite vice grips on the world, and are buying back into "violent revolution" , if nescasary, some droped bodies for the world to get the message, giving a pass to fundamentalist terrorists and screaming bloody murder at drone strikes that finaly terrorise the terrorists at their own assymentric game, supporting flawed leaders with flawed ideologies , who really are exhasperating things in their area, contributing to more violence and crack / arms problems by flooding places like brazil with those things,holding hands with the far right to paint obama as the problem (im not acusing you of this, i dont know how you feel about that, but, it is amazingly happening)..etc.

and all the lies and half truths and rationalisations...on all sides...i cant take it...no, moan chumpski and chavez are not my beacons of what is right and how to go about real change

my god, people brought the music industry and cd stores and sales to their knees....just to get something for free...if the world banded together and decided to bring a corporation to responsibility, or , to solve problems in certain areas...it could easily be done...shame on everyone...instead people are following agendas and using half truths, and rationalising in their brains what and why they are ready to do and accept behaviours that in true light , boggle the mind
i do value discussing this with you, adrian....unfortunatly, there is a part of it that reminds me with an argument i had on the blog of a fat mouth professor we all know around here...same discusion about the crack cocaine/arms flood from farc and how it is decimating society down here....in his customary flipant ass hole way, he tries to dismiss and belittle my point of view, making it seem like nothing, ( not like you are discussing these things at all )and, the other day i wake up to hear the news that brazil is the number one consumor of crack in the world.....i mean,sometimes, i hate to be so damn right,
written by adrianerik, January 19, 2013
You are preaching to someone and using many labels...I don't know to who. I don't know what the "new" Left is, neither do I know what the "old" Left is. Neither do most of the people I know. Most folks I know would love to be able to use their right hand and their left hand. There is an ideological world that exists outside of your definitons. So I can't really explain new and old to you. I know the professor quite well. I believe that he is quite good..albeit quite blunt...when dissecting arugments, especially straw man arguments such as the social pathologies of Brazil and Chavez. I consider the professor a good friend. I appreciate his approach to arguments.

There is a MAJOR point that you are missing and it is difficult to explain to those in the comfortable seats.

Once again, you assume that there must be something "wrong" or else the world would think as you.

Here's a question that an organization I used to belong to asked of anyone who wanted to come in to speak to our group or wanted us to sponsor them: "If I know all that you know right now, when I wake up tomorrow, what will I do differently?"
"comfortable seats (?)" well, ill tell you, someone was asaulted and murdered kitty corner from where i live at the same time i was walking home last year...just in november, an american i know , in his home , also kitty corner , had a noose wrapped around his neck, a gun to his head , and 4 people with guns on his wife , threatening to kill him if he didnt comply...these kind of asaults are cronic in the barrio i live and have been making the news reports , as well as a crack ring was busted a few blocks away...

"comfortable seats"? unless you directly mean im not black so i dont know what that feels like, id say im not so comfortable right now and social caos is knocking at my door...and its funny, since im mentioning "black", since im not sure what you mean, i dont see much in the actual ideology of chavez and his freinds , fidel etc, that really addresses the afro diasporic racism and legacy that slavey has left on the countries that brought slaves to the americas in the north atlantic slave trade...as a matter of fact , i find it extremly anemic , the diologue doesnt exist about racism and how it affects the descendants of slaves, unless, the person who buys into that ideologue happens to be afro descendant, and they do it as an off shoot to the main agenda of these parties that follow these ideologues .

you can beleive it is their efforts , along with many other people who dont share their ideologue, that have fought for media exposure and quotas....so you get some overlapping of goals, but , in the most superficial of ways , the way the ford foundation will have social programs. and, its like who sais they invented social change? you dont have to be an ideologue that follows this line of thinking to see what is wrong in society and have solutions that work...better than flawed ideologies that keep failing

" dissecting arugments, especially straw man arguments such as the social pathologies of Brazil and Chavez" oh man, you have to be joking...this is a blow hard who will argue that a 6/8 bell pattern you find in candomble doesnt really come from west africa... if this is his aproach to arguing, it only deserves to be ridiculed...i find him to be a muck raking hack..and, to be quite frank, its pathalogical to not acknowledge the damage that farc , who have been supported by hugo chavez, is doing, along with others, to the fabric of brazilian society...and pathetic

"comfortable seats"....the right tries to fear monger you, the left tries to guilt trip you or threaton you...hey, they all can kiss my behind

you know adrian, "the pain" i talked about was not really "oh look at my pain..." and i knew you would take it wrong and run a little with it...what that pain really is, is the pain i feel for not just dismissing your arguments...arguments i see through and have shown with extreme clarity why chavez is a destabalising person to his neighbors, while he screams about american imperialism...but, i refuse to dissmiss you , your actions in this world deserve respect, the kind of respect i know i recognise you deserve. but, does the fact you are a person with great integrity , mean your arguments are not able to be flawed on some accounts and on target on others?
and by the way, adrian, you dont beleive all this "cabana " s**t , do you? i mean , some chumpy "fidel is hunky dory" m f er , after i keep skewing his weak arguments, can only start ad homening me, trying to insult me saying how im just in my cabana f**king bitches...and then joao runs with it and that is their little joke on me

i mean what the f**k...the professor also is one giant ad homen diarra of the mouth chump...man, when the truth gets laid down on these people, all they can do is try to put you down

"cabana"....ha,
Nao Chumpsh_t Zona
written by Simpleton, January 19, 2013
asp, yes we all have great fun regarding the ongoing parlay regarding your "cabana" but you understand that. Adnoiderectic probably does too but calm down a bit, adhomenims are not worth the response regardless of who you feel is hurling them nor for why. You know what you know, you feel what you feel, what your own experiences throughout your life and right there close to home, the first hand knowledge gained over the years is what tells you is the .. truth. These things cannot be media blitzed out of existence nor altered or swayed by history revisionists. It's very very real.
asp
written by João da Silva, January 19, 2013

and then joao runs with it and that is their little joke on me

You got it right! Dr.L.C started the "Cabana" stuff & I thought it was hilarious and carried on with it, though I am fully aware of the problems your bairro is having.smilies/wink.gifsmilies/cheesy.gif . I think that uncouth and uncultured m.f neighbor upstairs of your cabana should take your complaints seriously and fix it. Never mind if you are an American,Korean, Brasilian, etc;smilies/angry.gif

As for your debate regarding Chavez: I still question his nepotism ,cronyism, etc; His health status reminds me that of Ariel Sharon's.!

There are plenty of folks shedding crocodile tears for the "underprivileged" people in the world and when they assume power to "help" them, they don't give a s**t about them. Dilma's predecessor and Maduro's Guro are two glaring examples.
smilies/wink.gif

Call me a fascist if you want.smilies/cheesy.gifsmilies/grin.gif
written by adrianerik, January 20, 2013
If I saw some consistency in people's outrage over the conditions of the excluded in South America I might be able to respect people's opinions.

Quick! What country is considered to be the most corrupt in the Western Hemisphere, who kills the most trade unionists in one year than in the rest of the world combined, who has more political prisoners than almost any country in the world?

Who? That's right.....Colombia!

Quick why did FARC disband, then organize over again. Because members of the legitimate political party -- the Patriotic Union -- were the victims of political genocide, nearly 3000 of its 5000 members were murdered by the right wing dominated state, the same group who kills leaders of the trade unionists. I find it the highest of gringo arrogance that there are people who think that a people who rise up in resistance are some sort of mindless, animalistic creatures who do not have any sense of the virtue and a will to sacrifice for a higher cause. For those who shed "crocodile" outrage over the limitations of Venezuela, spread that outrage around a bit.

ASP'S arrogant assessment of FARC lacks context, whether willfully or just from lack of information.

I was a supporter of the Southern Sudanese Resistance Movement, a mostly black movement to break away from the domination of the arab north and the continued massacres of the islamic Jangaweeds. Does that mean I supported the distablization of Sudan? You bet your bippee I did. "Stable" oppressive systems need to be distabilized. Whether it is the white elites who ran Venezuela into the ground on the 50 years before Chavez or fundamental islamic regimes. Improper and illegal strategies (kidnappings, etc) do not remove the contextual realities that many of the remaining members of FARC are there because the Colombian government lied, lured their best thinkers out into the open and massacred them.

While I have little regard for Chavez's foreign policy (truth is, I don't have much regard for Obama's foreign policy) it is the UN who has measured the massive infrastructure development in Venezuela, piped water into homes, the development of a Bolivarian police force to replace the brutal one with an abuse record (almost) worse than Brazil, the access to health care, the presence of schools, etc have been confirmed by observers who have no love lost for Chavez. Could these improvements been done in a better way by a better progressive leader? Probably. Which one? Which was the either/or you see for that country? This is the problem I have with those in the comfortable seats. (and no ASP, as long as you just look out of your windows, tsk-tsk at the horrible state of the world, then go back to to caipas, you are in your comfortable seat). I remember, during a final project in the MBA program, I submitted my proposal to show how the United States automobile industry lost its clout. It was rejected. The faculty adviser said that anyone can read a book and make a list of what wrong. My project had to ADVOCATE an alternative and defend it. In Salvador, I pass gringos every day, they start out early in the morning with their caipas, roskas and/or beers, bemoaning the state of the world...all to eager for me to sit down and waste my life, as they spittle over their lists of how life sucks.

So it goes...
written by asp, January 20, 2013
joao, no problem about the cabana jokes, i played right along with it , with you too, simps, it is funny...

what isnt funny is when you, adrian, start trying to peg me, start making up a charactor, because your arguments are weak. first of all, i dont like to drink that much, and i hate caipiras...second, what on gods earth makes you think you know what ive done in this world? are you the only one who has done charitable acts? do you know my history and what i have done in this world, even though in an e mail to you, i revealed my profesion? its quite presumtuous of you to start making up a charactor to defend your weak arguments...and you know its a trait your professor freind uses to an extreme and i despise him for it...and i expect something better from you, adrian...

i guess you forgot to get the story of how the farc intimidates all the other peasants around them who wont bend to their demands, it is a reality...are you cherry picking your story of the farc?

i mean who is justifying the right wing militias? some of them are sitting in jail cells in the usa...dont you get it, the right wing militias dealt up north and farc took care of brazil...they are drug dealers,murderers, thugs and kidnappers...all of them, the right wing militias also...but farc is affecting the social fabric of brazil....along with rougue elements of the paraguay military, and, elements in bolivia...and in a serious, real, everyday way

the actual choice of marxism was a flawed choice and guarenteed they are going to use their dogmad rheteric as a rationalisation for their horrible acts...like how can you justify 700 prisoners dragged through the mud , chained together in the most horrific conditions?

are you actualy going to justify marxism? i mean please...that right there is their problem...their excuse...their rationalisation..the history in colombia is much more complicated than you are making it out to be...the choice of marxism implicates the farc from the get go, to a flawed ideaology, that lets them rationalise their behavior

and no matter what the beginnings, exactly because of the flawed marxism ideaology, they descended into intimidating thuggy, drug dealing , kidnapping,assasinating scum, who got support from chavez and correa in equador...who made this a political agenda and ideaological hook up, which greatly incriminates them as imperialists, dealing in supporting the worst kind of thug violence...there is no moral point of view, just hiding behind flawed , failed marxist blow hard concepts

by the way, in terra news today, the farc have broken peace talks once again...they are scum pure and simple
Life is not a rhetorical game.

"Are you going to justify Marxism?"

What does that mean?

I would like to know what do YOU justify.

I justify resistance to oppression in all of its forms. The "ism" varies. Depends upon the circumstances.

The question is exactly what do YOU believe in?

You are playing the ideological extremities card. Capitalism and Communism have buried their tens of millions, haven't they. To assign extremes to every resistance movement is to not understand resistance.

The ANC of South Africa. The MPLA of Angola. Frelimo of Mozambique. The Sandanistas. And Vietnam are all supposed to be the fallen dominoes that would lead to the dreaded Marxist/Leninism and communist dictatorship.

Each group were the result of legitimate and heroic resistance movements against colonialism. Yet despite the filiations with communist groups who gave them guns (generally because democratic loving capitalists also loved colonialism and racism), are these countries now evidence of your "imperialistic communist murderers?"

FARC & MST meets? I didn't know that. What do they do? Trade secrets on how to distribute drugs? Give arms to MST? I wonder what they could be talking about? Hey! Maybe...just maybe, considering the fact that only 1.5% of the Colombian elite dominates the arable land in Colombia and considering that the number one issue on the peace talks table is land reform, than maybe, just maybe, it's quite logical for those two to meet and talk about...land! And considering that the major platform in Chavez's campaign was land reform, which he implemented, then maybe, there exists an ideological logic to support for FARC, besides "Let's dump drugs into Brazil and hook that nation because it serves a purpose, hee, hee, hee." (by the way, I'm in the middle on land reform. On one hand, rural populations with no land have no options. On the other, mega-farms are more efficient.)

None of this is complicated.

HYPOTHETICAL - "Fine, I agree with you. I now know all that you know Tomorrow, I will wake up and do exactly what?"

That goes back to the point of these posts. Alternatives. Given the option between the racists in Zimbabwe and Mugabe, I would take Mugabe. Given a choice between an clearly overmatched and crony system Mugabe and a Zimbabwean reformer, I would chose the reformer.

BUT...despite all of his errors, if the choice returned to be between Mugabe and the racists, I choose Mugabe.

Don't you understand pragmatic choices? Besides ranting about "you're a Marxist, you're a confused Leftist, you support the deaths of 100 million killed by the communists!" etc, etc, etc.

I seem to have difficulty placing any of you on the field and making you state your alternative.

Can you try again, please. That would really enlighten me as to where you're coming from...and where you're going.

I don't care if a person is a hundred old and has 90 years of experience behind them. You are...who you are...TODAY! Problems exist today. People are assessing options today.

A resume has no meaning at an activist meeting.

You have to have a vision upon which you stand.

If not, then what separates you from the rest? Why are you different?

I followed some of your discussions with "the professor" on his site. Yes, he can be quite nasty but not necessarily illogical. Truthfully, you entered with an attitude (which you apologized for)...and you got attitude in return.

Do me a favor. In your next post...give me alternatives. I'm open.
Open mindedness
written by Simpleton, January 20, 2013
That's a tricky subject. Either something nasty might leak out or something nasty might leak in.

Adrianerik, your shades of grey way of accepting the unacceptable as little or no other better alternative was available or possible, or something that occured prior out right prevented it or lead to a disgusting transformation in what and who usurped things and dirtied up a once upon a time good ideal is not something asp is willing to swallow.

Ousting the alemanic princes ultimately justified Hitler? The action of worldwide forces of supercapalists destroyed venezula and justified Chavez and all that he and his did and, now, because the UN sees improvements it's a-o-k in it's entierty?

You (and apparently this "professor" fella) do tend to get asp rather over stimulated and when he stuffs it right back down your throat it doesn't matter if your adnoids spasm to tease him further, he's just not going to come to your way of thinking. I don't blame him at all and you still are not offering any alternatives either.
"Justified Hitler"??? I don't follow your logic.

Did the Latini tribe that eventually won out over all of the other tribes on the Italian Peninsula, including its Latin language justify the Roman Empire? Mussolini?

After the Enlightenment, the future of effective government in Europe had to be away from feuding tribes and towards the new concept of non-tribal diversity called the State. Germany under the princes would not have been able to compete with the Picts/Saxons/Angles who formed England nor the tribes who united to form France, etc.

The racial and ethnic character of the new German State was not automatically defined because they were now united. For example the Franks were also a German tribe. They went to Gaul and became the French. But their sense of self was based upon culture, not "aryan" superiority. So, just because Bismarck organized the German state, that did not create the ethno-centric arrogance that led to Hitler.

"It's okay in it's ENTIRETY"
.??? Where'd you get that from?

That contradicts the entire idea of being pragmatic, doesn't it? If a result were to be accepted "in its entirety", then you wouldn't have to be pragmatic about it. One would be IDEALISTIC about it.

As an African American, I pragmatically accept the Emancipation Proclamation.

But does the Emancipation Proclamation and the restoration of the North and South justify Jim Crow and the Ku Klux Klan?

No...but it was better than chattel slavery.

The alternatives in Venezuela were Chavez or Capriles. Given the two choices I would have selected Chavez. (I don't accept the proposition of western countries that Venezuela has to protect its tiny elite class...at the expense of the poor...so that they can buy American goods and have a decent GNP).

I don't have alternatives to Chavez or Capriles. As I've stated, I accept that Chavez's moves are going to set the foundation for a stronger Venezuela.

I would prefer that he not support Al Quaeda. I would prefer that he not hire his family (although that is a historic Venezuelan custom...we just expect more from progressives).

I have no problem with his nationalization of the oil and charging Venezuelans 14 cents a liter while selling it abroad at market rates. He probably should increase the price...but who am I to say.

I support his attempts to get rid of the old police force and replace it with the Bolivarian Police force who are trained in non-violent confrontations with its citizens.

Brazil should probably watch and wait to see if that could work.

Chavez governs by personality. That's old school but right now, for Venezuelans who felt that they were the s**t of South America, to have a black man or pardo or whatever you want to call him, align himself with the people is a psychological need for the country right now.

The same thing happened when Fernando won the presidency in the Dominican Republic...which I consider more racist than Brazil, the U.S. and Venezuela.

The problem in Venezuela is that the non-Chavistas can't come up with someone who does not have their nose up the elite's asses. Venezuela needs an economic technocrat to reduce its dependency on oil and create a mixed market, create more jobs, reduce the size of rural workers wanting land and create more efficient fram sizes. The downside of a personality driven leader is they hold back these other non-personality but capable leaders.

So, given the alternatives...Chavez will do.
Choosing the lesser of two evils
written by Simpleton, January 20, 2013
, not an uncommon event with US presidential elections which occur every four years. However, asp and many others will still never accept some of the things that transpired and are still going on whether directly or indirectly caused by, facilitated or condoned by Chavez / Chavistas. Whether that be the aiding and abetting of the "new" FARC ("new" FARC since the original FARC with noble cause and vast array of right minded thinkers were wiped out murderously by the Columbians as you pointed out), commiting international larceny on probably one of the grandest scales since the Roman Empire, .. Equador, .. Bolivia, ...

At some point you have to stop. There are always those that feel a purpose / cause and, due to prevailing conditions, particularly economic ones, justifies a means and those that feel the ends justifies the means.

BTW Adrianerik, until your last post I would have pegged you as a white female, possibly over educated, extensively experienced internationally in either a diplomatic or military attache capacity (or as a CIA mole). If you can keep writing the way you did, explaining the way you come up with and justify your druthers and stop trying to stuff your slong down people like asp's throats, you'll be much more successful. Only Costinha likes that.
written by João da Silva, January 20, 2013

Given a choice between an clearly overmatched and crony system Mugabe and a Zimbabwean reformer, I would chose the reformer.

The problem with Bob,Hugh,Fidel and similar kind in the world is that they don't allow "reformers" from outside their tribe to "share" the "power". They are very much like our "Coroneis". smilies/wink.gif
written by asp, January 21, 2013
adrian, the exchange with me and the professor was a continuation of an exchange we had on another blog, where he showed his ass hole to me and a huge amount of other people...he starts the s**t throwing , but, he underestimates that someone else can return the favor...he is an ass hole...he hurts the cause more than helps...and he isnt in favor of quotas in brazil, cant define afro diasporic culture, and has strange views that black woman in slavery werent all that differant from white woman in that era...i do not trust him...intellectality means nothing if someone just distorts and interjects their bias

first of all, did you really hear what i have said? im not hoping for chavez to die...i dont care if he comes back in office...

i am glad that poor people have gotten a better health and reading abilitiy , "education" is another story because i question what his system is teaching the kids

what i scream for is to loudly state his blatent hypocracy in the area he lives in. he is a destabalizing force in the area, i have pointed it out clearly. his hypocracy, as he screams about american imperialism, while he aided and abetted farc ( cmon man, they dont sell crack and arms to brazil to be ideaological, they do it for money) directly plays into a tie in with fidel/raul, and a desire to perpetuate flawed ideaoligies that have over and over again , failed!!

you are god damned real i want to forget marxism and bury it, but, these people are actualy trying to brainwash everyone that is is actualy noble....cmon adrian, how can i not talk about the farc and marxism? this is ridiculas...people go back and crucify american policies in the cold war and dont even mention what the real fight was about...like you just did in africa...cuba didnt just send guns, THEY WERE THERE IN 17 COUNTRIES , f**kING CHE WAS IN THE CONGO.... but for some strage reason, you think their flawed ideaology was noble and doesnt need to be scrutinised at all...they are as imperialist as the usa in that instance...all sides were dirty...and the oposing sides in each country are as responsible for the violence and death as the super powers...no one can take personal responsibility anymore

i used mst hanging with farc as an example to your statment you have some contact with them....going into why i dont like mst is another story..

adrian, your "either or, if you arnt for this you must be for that" is bull s**t. dont try to paint me into a corner that you decided to paint yourself into...to justify that some marxist bullcrap is acceptable over some other bullcrap , is a dangerous game...how can i not talk about marxism when chavez is so tied to fidel's ideaolgy? which is marxist...are you for real about this? ive heard this by other people in their arguments...i mean this boggles the mind...these people are tied into a marxist ideaology..they hate capatalism and hate america...and keep using america's cold war policy as their focal point about what was evil about america...totaly ignoring the whole reality

i despise bush , chenny, rumsfeld, etc for what they have done as much as fidel and chavez...the idea is to point out the lies and hypocracies in each of them...the fact you would make it either or , is your own hangup...people with this frame of mind are now crucifying obama for drones...trying to make him as not differant from bush...bulls**t, there is a huge differance...i hope you dont feel this way

my how you settle for so little , to get behind these hollow rhetorical dogmad leaders...gosh, my heroe in venezuela would do so much more to get my alliance

with the small and painful progress made in the black brazilian struggle in the media, universities etc, due , in some small way to the fact the pt was in office, and some of the small social gains made to help poor people, certainly a good thing , afro brazilian culture is still regulated to the lowest rung on the totem pole.racism is not on the bold face type of these political agendas.the surpressing of afro brazilian culture, whether 3 wite woman as the leaders of salvador carnival, the attention on actresses and models in rio carnival
THE LAST PARAGRAPH WAS A PART OF THE REST OF THE POST I WROTE BUT WAS TOO LONG, I FORGOT TO TAKE IT OUT ALSO , HERE IS THE REST OF THE FULL STATEMENT

adrian ,underneath much of your political stance ,is your concern for the treatment of afro diasporic people...in the legacy of slavery...im totalay in agreement about that...well, if you ask me, all of these political agendas by fidel, raul, chavez, mst, dont really address the actual problems of the legacy of slavery and how it affects society today

with the small and painful progress made in the black brazilian struggle in the media, universities etc, due , in some small way to the fact the pt was in office, and some of the small social gains made to help poor people, certainly a good thing , afro brazilian culture is still regulated to the lowest rung on the totem pole.racism is not on the bold face type of these political agendas.the surpressing of afro brazilian culture, whether 3 wite woman as the leaders of salvador carnival, the attention on actresses and models in rio carnival coverage with very little attention to the people of the community, the actual cancelation this year in florianopolis of the desfile, the one time black female passistas can have to show their sensuality and grace ,the year round onslaought in the media of sertaneja, rock etc and the very little exposure of afro brazilian culture, sensuality,etc, only points to the fact that the political parties you claim to be the lesser of the "two evils", dont even come close to getting at the real problems of the legacy of slavery and racism...in brazil, venzuela..and the usa for that matter

its the lack of recognition of afro diasporic culture and humanity that feeds racism, was the rationalisation for slavery , "these people arnt the same as white people so make them slaves", and this is the real battle worth fighting for and supporting.

i am for getting at the crux of racism and how it affects all the countries that brought slaves from africa...i am for pointing out how the elite are widening the gap between rich and poor...i am for capitalism with a concience, capitalism with social programs, and i condemn hyper capatalism and hyper socialism...i am for seeing through how ideas of violence for social change has brought more suffering and misery than actualy working through the system..and for focusing on the actions that can really make a differance

so i wont take the route of support the lesser of the two evils...i beleive in pointing out the hypocracies of all these political agendas and bring forth something better...yeah, chavez was the lesser of the two evils for the poor people of venezuela , he got elected and if health permits, should serve his term ,but his dangerous political agenda, blow hard screaming of half truths and lies, his blatent hypocracies should be scrutinised and criticised, as much as bush..and that is what im basicly doing
"for focusing on the actions that can really make a differance"

adrian, i know that you are a person who is actualy doing this

what you are doing is admirable ....i have disagreemts on your opinions
written by adrianerik, January 21, 2013
Racism is just one of the "isms" that I encourage people to resist. There are many.

Regarding the various resistance movements in the 30s, 40s and 50s. Those countries were fighting for freedom from DEMOCRATIC countries whose democratic principles were secondary to their capitalism. Everything, from the raping of Liberia's resources to the United Fruit Company owning nearly all of Cuba and the Dominican Republic to the ripping off of the bauxite resources in Jamaica and Guyana was predicated on 'run-away' capitalism that sentenced millions of people to misery and prostitution.

Where, in 1940-1950 was there a capitalist system that would encourage freedom fighters in Africa and the caribbean and India to want to follow that model? Which country had it? The problem of people turning to a Marxist analysis wasn't the fault of Che or Castro or Mandela or Agostinho Neto of Angola or Samora Machel of Mozambique...it was purely and 100% the fault of the greedy, predatory capitalism of the time.

Are there now, in hindsight, other capitalist alternatives? Yes, possibly...but not what was in Brazil, nor Venezuela, nor Bolivia.

This "capitalism with a conscience" which, is really a blend of capitalism and socialism (though few want to talk about that) doesn't come about by wishing for it.

Here's something to chew on: the "conscience" of capitalism will come from the application of socialist principles.

Did you vomit? Or are you chewing?

Capitalism does not create a conscience within itself. It took the collapse of the United States economy, basically engineered by bankers who were also stockbrokers to engineer "socialist" principles such as the FDIC, where the federal government ensures deposits, the Social Security system and the income tax (redistribution of income?). FDR was branded a communist because of these and other aspects of the New Deal, such as the Tennessee Valley Authority where the government brought electricity to the poor whites in Appalachia because "capitalism" didn't see a value in doing so.

So what we see happening around the world are two experiments: the introduction of socialist conscience into an essentially heartless capitalist system (such as the "bolsas" of brasil) or the introduction of capitalism into a socialist system such as what's beginning to happen in Cuba, Vietnam, China, Angola.

This is why I give little credence to the phrase 'marxist dominated' movement. Historically, it has meant little when the overall demands of those who resist is "show us a system that works."

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending upon your point of view), many African Liberation groups turned towards Marxism, not because they agreed with a Marxist analysis, but because given the two isms that dominated the world at the time, capitalism and marxism, only marxism said "we believe in giving you guns to shoot racists". And unfortunately (or fortunately), at the time, when you shot a racist, you also coincidentally, shot a capitalist.

Not that many countries don't need the guns, you see much experimentation with their economies to find one that is efficient and has a "conscience".

When FARC had it's political group, they ran presidential and congressional candidates not based upon a political ideology but upon concrete proposals to help the poor. Over ten years, nearly every one of their presidential candidates were killed as well as hundreds of their congressional candidates by the Colombian military, "rogues", drug gangs, who felt targeted by FARC because drugs were considered one of the plagues that troubled the poor, etc. This is not ancient history. The latest atrocity, Mapiripan (sp) was about 1997. The trial of those who committed the massacres was about 3 years ago.

So, I'm not too quick to throw movements into the extremes. I'm not a big fan of our black american Black Panther movement...but I consider their context.
written by adrianerik, January 21, 2013
@joao - Leadership is also very touchy. Sometimes,the vision of people can be symbolized by one person. There's not always this depth of leaders whose interests is for their people. When the West killed people like Biko of South Africa, Lumummba of the Congo, Allende of Chile, they pushed the freedom of those communities back many years. They saying "power corrupts...absolute power corrupts absolutely" probably applies. But I also agree that, in societies, where your people have been left with an colonized mind and illiterate mind, susceptible to any brainwashing, that there exists a need for a strong leader who understands international realities. Mandela inherited a functioning political system and therefore could be the first AFrican president to voluntarily leave office. But other countries such as the Congo, became neo-colonialist tools quickly after Lumummba was assassinated.

I remember, after years of study in an MBA program, a teacher said "I'm going to teach you something that we should have taught you in your first year and would have made the rest of your courses unnecessary. That word is CO-OPT. It's how to get another people to use THEIR muscle to achieve YOUR goals."

An ignorant, illiterate people who only know white, western propaganda are easily deceived and "co-opted" into reverting back to neo-colonialism, whether that is in Africa or in Bahia, Piaui or Maranhao. A strong leader, whose personality overwhelms these propaganda images, needs to stick around for awhile.

How long? I don't know.
Alarm bells are ringing at Elite Trader Forums
written by Ricardo C. Amaral, January 21, 2013

Ricardo: Alarm bells are ringing at Elite Trader Forums

http://elitetraderpostings.blogspot.com/

adrianerik
written by João da Silva, January 21, 2013
Hi,

I am enjoying the healthy debate between you and our distinguished fella blogger ASP.

You wrote a few things long forgotten by many:

When the West killed people like Biko of South Africa, Lumummba of the Congo, Allende of Chile, they pushed the freedom of those communities back many years.

And forgot to include Dag Hammarskjold.IMHO, he was the last decent Sec General of the (now almost toothless) U.N.!

But...but...but... my question is: Why do the Yanks always rush to save the arses of the European Colonial masters that want to "reconquer" their ex-colonies? Mali is the most recent example.

Is it something to do with the "Euro-Zone" collapsing, as Ricardo (and to certain extent, my humble self ) predicted? smilies/wink.gif
adrian , i have no pleasure to counter some of your points...

im just perplexed at some of your biased discriptions..."freedom fighters"

lets analyse any so called "freedom fight" that involved a situation that could come under communist control, and linked with the soviet union bloc, or china of cuba...

the soviet union and china and cuba were the flagships of communism...they had their communist mandates, back to the feilds, among them, with the state at the top , being the first and last word...

30 million people died of starvation in china , because ridiculas , beaurocratic , marxist mandates that failed miserably...

in this same small period, in my lifetime, 20 more million people were killed in the cultural revolution in china, waving their red book in the name of mao...absulutly unforgivingly , horrific...

the soviet union, more than 25 million eliminated , wiped out, not in war, just plain elimination under communist rule, not just stalin...

adrian, can you wrap your head around these figures? i mean really, can you actualy wrap your head around that many people eliminated or lost because of the worst beaurocratic marxist principles ? i mean these are the flagships... and cambodia's , khemer rougue eliminated 6 million...i guess that doesnt mean anything to you about each situation that could go communist or capatalist ? how about north korrea compared to south korrea?...which is the real reason the usa thought, albeit wrongly, that they should go into viet nam...

Netanyahu Brags About How Easy It Is To Manipulate The United States.
written by Ricardo C. Amaral, January 21, 2013

Ricardo: Netanyahu Brags About How Easy It Is To Manipulate The United States.

Netanyahu Brags About How Easy It Is To Manipulate The United States
http://youtu.be/GQTUNHwFA80

Please read English Transcript HERE:►

Bibi:...The Arabs are currently focusing on a war of terror and they think it will break us. The main thing, first of all, is to hit them. Not just one blow, but blows that are so painful that the price will be too heavy to be borne. The price is not too heavy to be borne, now. A broad attack on the Palestinian Authority. To bring them to the point of being afraid that everything is collapsing...

Woman: Wait a moment, but then the world will say "how come you're conquering again?"

Netanyahu: the world won't say a thing. The world will say we're defending.

Woman: Aren't you afraid of the world, Bibi?

Netanyahu: Especially today, with America. I know what America is. America is something that can easily be moved. Moved to the right direction.

Child: They say they're for us, but, it's like...

Netanyahu: They won't get in our way. They won't get in our way.

Child: On the other hand, if we do some something, then they...

Netanyahu: So let's say they say something. So they said it! They said it! 80% of the Americans support us. It's absurd. We have that kind of support and we say "what will we do with the..." Look. That administration [Clinton] was extremely pro-Palestinian. I wasn't afraid to maneuver there. I was not afraid to clash with Clinton. I was not afraid to clash with the United Nations. I was paying the price anyway, I preferred to receive the value. Value for the price.

In the following segment, Bibi boasts about how he emptied the Oslo Accords of meaning by an interpretation that made a mockery of them:

Woman: The Oslo Accords are a disaster.

Netanyahu: Yes. You know that and I knew that...The people [nation] has to know...

What were the Oslo Accords? The Oslo Accords, which the Knesset signed, I was asked, before the elections: "Will you act according to them?" and I answered: "yes, subject to mutuality and limiting the retreats." "But how do you intend to limit the retreats?" "I'll give such interpretation to the Accords that will make it possible for me to stop this galloping to the '67 [armistice] lines. How did we do it?

Narrator: The Oslo Accords stated at the time that Israel would gradually hand over territories to the Palestinians in three different pulses, unless the territories in question had settlements or military sites. This is where Netanyahu found a loophole.

Netanyahu: No one said what defined military sites. Defined military sites, I said, were security zones. As far as I'm concerned, the Jordan Valley is a defined military site.

Woman: Right [laughs]...The Beit She'an Valley.

Netanyahu: How can you tell. How can you tell? But then the question came up of just who would define what Defined Military Sites were. I received a letter -- to me and to Arafat, at the same time -- which said that Israel, and only Israel, would be the one to define what those are, the location of those military sites and their size. Now, they did not want to give me that letter, so I did not give the Hebron Agreement. I stopped the government meeting, I said: "I'm not signing." Only when the letter came, in the course of the meeting, to me and to Arafat, only then did I sign the Hebron Agreement. Or rather, ratify it, it had already been signed. Why does this matter? Because at that moment I actually stopped the Oslo Accord.

Woman: And despite that, one of our own people, excuse me, who knew it was a swindle, and that we were going to commit suicide with the Oslo Accord, gives them -- for example -- Hebron...

Netanyahu: Indeed, Hebron hurts. It hurts. It's the thing that hurts. One of the famous rabbis, whom I very much respect, a rabbi of Eretz Yisrael, he said to me: "What would your father say?" I went to my father. Do you know a little about my father's position?

He's not exactly a lily-white dove, as they say. So my father heard the question and said: "Tell the rabbi that your grandfather, Rabbi Natan Milikowski, was a smart Jew. Tell him it would be better to give two percent than to give a hundred percent. And that's the choice here. You gave two percent and in that way you stopped the withdrawal. Instead of a hundred percent." The trick is not to be there and be broken. The trick is to be there and pay a minimal price."

At a point in the middle of the video Netanayhu asks the camera man to stop taping, but he continues...

Netanyahu says what he really thinks for the first time:

He brags about how easy is to manipulate the USA and he proudly explains how he sabotaged the Oslo process.

yes, it was dirty on all sides...by the way, im not someone who cringes at socialism...i just beleive that capatalism can be regulated and have social programs...hyper capatalism is as bad as communism...both have small amounts of people at the top who own and control most of the power ( i mean you do know that that is what all this s**t is really about on all sides , dont you?)...a healthy capatalism is going to look out for those at the bottom...

cuba assasinated way way more people than chile...but, no excuses, both sides were exremly brutal, argentina was horrific...but che and fidel still assasinated more...two sides of the same coin...

so funny too, they had on this ridicous anti american channal today, the official fidel cuban propaganda promo about...da da...fidel...and just like you, in the narration, they lead up to the fact of batista and under him ....all the prostitutes...as like the worst thing...i mean really adrian, you do know that they have huge prostitution over on the special side of the island fidel constructed for tourists all over the world. they just now opened it up for cubans...(funny how people beleive that american embargo suffering, althugh i hate it , too. just like tourists can come all over the world and enjoy the beauty of cubas beaches and its fine prostitutes, cuba can get anything it needs from them also..)

the prostitution that they trumpet so loudly as the main reason they saved cuba....is still alive and thrivingly well on some russions dick while while getting ready to licks his balls

adrian, that fluffy , rosey , vanila picture of the farc you depicted just seems a little too skewed...i mean comon, they had their own terrorist agenda and assasinations and intimidations going on at the same time....and they got that stiff ass, robotic,rhetoric, dogmad marxist crap flowing out of their mouths like diarria...how can you stomach that s**t? i mean how can you paint them as noble when they drag 700 people around in the slimy dank stank ass jungle? chained together...f**k that s**t, that is worse than guantanmo...they can kiss my ass

each situation you mentioned, i guarentee you, can be researched and looked into and , you could come to conclusions about both sides, as far as cruelty, dirtyness, and ruthlessness.

and my main point is, chavez should be scrutinised and critisized for the destabiling role he has played in his area, that has affected countries around him, in a big way. if we are going to scrutinised usa policy and big business hardball destructive capatalism, and we should,we also should scrutinise gun running, aiding and abbetting revolutionairy groups who arnt supported by even a quarter of the country they are fighting their conflict and also the unbeleivable damage done by this group also dealing huge amounts of cocaine and arms to organised crime gangs in brazil, who have gone on steroids with the flow from this business

you know, it seems almost on a daily basis, the ravages of this business, and the ravages of poverty that racism and capatalism , keep dishing up the reality of what is happening in our lives...we either see it on the news, localy or nationaly or internationaly, or it very close to where we live, some kind of tension and drama about these situations that are really flamed by agendas of greed and power on all sides......ALL SIDES ...i accept no rationalisations, half truths or lies...the blame is on all sides
written by adrianerik, January 22, 2013
Yes, ASP, Freedom Fighters!

What exactly are you talking about. Mandela, Biko, Lumummba, Nkrumah, Jomo Kenyatta, Agostinho Neto, Samora Machel, Julius Nyerere,...the ANC, FRELIMO, MAUS MAUS, ZULUS, MPLA, ZANU, SAPU, SWAPO, and hundred of other African communities who rose up and fought against racism and colonialism were Freedom Fighters.

And every single one I mentioned above received help from the Soviet Union. The MPLA received massive support from Cuba who were instrumental in assuring that South Africa did not extend its apartheid policies across Angola and Namibia.

And every single one today are participative democracies with 7 of the fastest growing economies in Africa.

Which blows a BIG, MASSIVE HOLE in your myopic assessment that oppressed communities will just blindly turn from captitalist enslavement to communist enslavement.

People are smart, ASP...like you...and virtuous and actually believe in the potential of their people.

In fact, outside of Zimbabwe, the most corrupt and slow-growing African nations are those who did not achieve and take their freedom by Freedom Fighters rising up but were 'given' their freedom whereby a corrupt colonialist capitalist system was simply handed over from the racists to the elite negros or to strongmen who who had no alliegance to a progressive group such as Mobutu in the Congo after he helped the West to kill Lumummba. And Samuel Doe in Liberia and Charles Taylor in Sierra Leone, all of which remained under colonialist domination (Liberia because Goodyear had to steal the rubber for its tires...after stealing the rubber trees from Brazil).

Angola, which received support from Cuba and the Soviets is a growing, democratic country with growing readership, great authors, growing jobs, rights for women, justice in land apportionment, etc and the two countries who swallowed neo-colonialist capitalism, Liberia and Sierra Leone are s**t holes.

ASP, several times in your posts your choose to paint this invincible nasty, massacring "communism" with its boogeymen who devour everything in its past and like the myth of Medusa, you insist that anyone who looks in its eyes or touches it will instantly become nasty, massacring boogeymen also.

And the realities of the world refute your arguments.

In Cuba...I find it interesting how the Castro government is damned if you do...and damned if you don't.

First of all, it's the Canadians, Spanish and Portuguese and to a small extent, the Americans who enter through the Bahamas or Jamaica who are the primary clients of prostitution in Cuba and objectify the "big booty", dark skin of the Cuban women. (cough cough).

When the Cuban government imposed a strict crackdown, prohibiting Cuban women from being alone with foreign men, there was a huge article in the New York Times, not on the front page, but in the TRAVEL SECTION(???) written by two men(???) groaning about totalitarian states taking away the rights of people in Cuba and reminiscing about their travels in Cuba.

Yeah right! White men who travel to Thailand, Dominican Republic, Cuba and Brazil are primarily interested in human rights(???)

Maybe you're the exception.

Cuba still suffers form the exploitative commercialization of the sensual mulatta, just as Thailand still suffers from the exploitative commercialization of the sensual, submissive Asian.

A lesson to Brazil: You have two options to deal with social pathologies: Repression (such as China...but it's not just communism because Iran uses the same tactic) or you can increase the opportunities in societies and let jobs and careers and dignity absorb the pathologies out of the social system.

Unfortunately, in Cuba, there is the "small" issue of a 50 year United States embargo and economic attacks upon any other company that does business with the island.

Therefore, asp, despite your spittle against Cuba, you should applaud the "pragmatic" approach they are taking to the situation.

It's interesting...what you sell as "Cuba promoting prostitution" is simply the island rescinding it's prohibition against Cubans talking with foreigners. It was un-enforcable.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
written by asp, January 22, 2013
adrian, id like your statement above to be the last word on our debate for now, at least until i can do the research about each situation you mentioned about africa ,to find out the real story....communism , soviet union style or cuban style or china style. isnt suposed to morph into democracy...something got lossed in the translation

as for black booty , i didnt have to go outside of the usa to admire, date, tap and marry beautiful black booty, having dated a huge amount of black american women, and, falling in love with my first wife , from the now defunct roosevelt taylor homes from the south side of chicago , now divorced,watching her do catheryn dunham technique (cough cough)
asp
written by João da Silva, January 22, 2013

id like your statement above to be the last word on our debate for now, at least until i can do the research about each situation you mentioned about africa ,to find out the real story....communism , soviet union style or cuban style or china style

ASP, it is indeed worth doing your own research about Africa (especially post colonial era). Adrian has been saying many things which did occur (and is taking place) in that continent. Many of the leaders whom he mentioned met premature demise or died of "natural" causes. The 7 countries he mentioned in his last post are indeed getting better economically and some Europeans who fled Mozambique and Angola after the "Independence" are going back to set up their "shops" again.

BTW, if you have time to watch the movie "The Wild Geese" (available on YouTube), please do so.
written by adrianerik, January 22, 2013
Not a problem, ASP. You give TMPI (too much personal info). "Booty" is not an issue. I'm not gay. I'm quite sure of that or else I've been putting on a good act. I crash into poles and whisper "Gat Damn!" also when beautiful specimens of women walk by. At certain moments in our lives we all objectify one thing or the other. The issue is whether that which is objectified has any power or options to be "un" objectified. By the way, your "professor friend" is happily married to a beautiful and immensely intelligent "specimen".

Here's a link to an article from the Economist about the growth of African economies.

http://www.economist.com/node/17853324

There is a tiny statistical deception going in, I'd like to point out. It's good that African economies are growing. But Africa's economy only represents 2% of the world's output. So, if some miserable country has a miserable economy of $10 per year and earns $20 dollars the next year, the Economist will say it grew by 100%!!!! Still.......

tchau
specimens for inspection
written by Simpleton, January 22, 2013
I'm sure no one wants to hear from me as I am naught but a simpleton, I have nothing of value to offer, but.. but.. but.. I must say that I agree whole heartedly regarding the recent exchanges as Joao has already lauded. I was enthralled and couldn't skip reading even a single word (compared to the blatant self-promoting commentary of other bloggers whose names won't be mentioned). Ok Adrianerik (whom we will call the "adder", another form of snake vs the asp), you're not a white female and not gay, and yes we've been probing asp for a long time knowing full well he would ultimately give us his details regarding his origins and upbringing. Knowing someone's personal history, etc., does help one to atune to what they are conveying from their personal perspective, allows a great deal more capacity for garnering fealty than would be possible when your backgrounds are so different.

Anyway adder, the terminus of your last post, "tchau" suggests we may not be hearing from you for a while, you must be imminently off to go entertain yourself at carnival as will I. I actually hate carnival and would have preferred to have arrived after but it was all I could find for cheap seats. As an additional penalty I will either have to find some friend with floor space to sleep on or I will have to go pick up an onibus headed out of town to have a place to sleep.
written by asp, January 22, 2013
nice article, adrian, good advice, joao...

i would love to visit some countries in africa, its a dream of mine

ha, adrian, dont think i was ever implying you were gay..not sure where you got that...yeah,i know that the prof is married to someone who wrote about black american privalege in brazil , which i didnt agree with everything about that...to be frank, they dont get afro brazilian culture , why a black american could relate and the prof sure doesnt get african american culture beyond a social studies aspect

your other question intrigues me, about"what will i do differantly tomorow based on what you can tell me today.." ..just paraphrasing it...that is a question that could mean a lot of things...can you break it down? who is getting addressed and what is the subject? arnt those relative questions?
Simpleton
written by João da Silva, January 22, 2013

I'm sure no one wants to hear from me as I am naught but a simpleton, I have nothing of value to offer,

Simp, I take umbrage to your comment.smilies/shocked.gif.Never mind the rest.smilies/wink.gif

I vaguely recall your mentioning that you have been to Algeria, which is in the news during this week!

BTW, Dr.McCray did write historical facts about the "Dark Continent" (I wonder who coined that phrase? Dave Livingstone???!!!!smilies/wink.gifsmilies/cheesy.gif) I really enjoyed reading them.

Hope Col.Ederson who is an expert on "Sub Sahara" (as well as North & South of that arid area) got to read the exchange of comments.smilies/wink.gifsmilies/cheesy.gifsmilies/grin.gif

IMHO, the best line Adrian wrote was:

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Being a leader is a thankless job, whether you are being paid or an unpaid leader!

vinte cinco ou seis a quatro
written by Simpleton, January 22, 2013
Sadly joao, my Algerian experiences were limited, guarded heavily by guys dressed in black carrying automatic weapons and both the helo and onibus that were under orders to protect and transport me were staffed by someone specifically in charge of the BAR. In the "free time" I had (after seeing the pres of Algeria depart for who knows where) I can say "I felt the rain in africa". I only want to feel the "good" memory" aspects. Even though I declined the invitation to go for a ride on a flyover and see the occidental, most likely that's a hell of a lot closer than either addey or asp or any of their past three generations of ancestors ever got to their motherland. Our dearest ch.c was probably one of those lost recently in sul Algeria with the northern Mali expulsed islamistas.
written by adrianerik, January 23, 2013
Carnaval? I don't enjoy carnival. That's not absolutely true. Have you ever walked through that botanical garden in Rio? A lot of it is pretentious, kinda massive trees trying to be spectacular. But all of a sudden, you turn a corner and there exists a certain space, a particular arrangement that is so beautiful (not awe-inspiring beautiful but inner-inspiring) that you feel that the visit was worth the entry fee.

That's Salvador carnival. I HATE axe' music. I can't imagine that people would actually pay 400 reais to jump up behind Chiclete com Banana when I would not even accept a free abada. His voice and music is irritating. That said, there are moments when you turn a corner and stumble onto a bloco where a singer's voice seems to have come from out of this world, where the rhythm doesn't hit you, but enter you, where the dancers are choreographed and not a bunch of drunk college kids from Minas Gerias...that particular moment would make my carnival. So the "bandinhas" in Pelourinho: the dancers, the dancing doll babies, the dancers from FUNCEB, the giant puppets that samba...they are worth maybe one day out of the house. But all of those "big" names who use carnival to launch their CD..forget it. Even some of the Afro Blocos have locked onto formulas and can be boring, including Olodum and Timbalada. Fact is, as carnival is increasingly taken over by big business, the home grown "culture' of carnival is disappearing and it's becoming one big New Orleans Mardi Gras.

But in Salvador, the afoxes still represent Brazilian culture (not necessarily Filhos de Ghandy...who have joined the formulaic group). But Bankoma, Dida, Rumpilezz, Afro-Sinfonia Orquestra and the smaller community cultural groups make a day or two of carnival worthwhile.

@asp - I am a writer so sometimes I write tongue-in-cheek. Imagine that we were sitting at a small table and some beautiful women walked by. "O' pai, O', rapaz. Olhe nelas! Ainda tem pau irmao?" says the first. "Tenho, tenho! Estou vendo! Ele ta gritando!" the other responds.

I like the professor and his wife simply because I'm not always correct. I'm not being paid to be a nuisance to oppressive people. I'd prefer to ride my bike, buy a boat and do some fishing and enjoy some nice caribbean/brazilian/west african/african american jazz fusion show and then have some acai with an attractive woman.

I don't want to talk about race, nor class, nor colonialism nor misery nor nothing.

I find it enlightening to talk with people who want the same world as you but come from another perspective. My ego or self-image is not defined by ideology. I don't have to defend the process (liberal, marxist, conservative, etc). I defend the desired results: A fair and equal chance for everybody to have success in their life or to f**k it up, as they choose.

As long as folks like the professor and his wife can connect a point of view to desired results, it makes for an open good conversation. I have to do the same. Romanticism clouds the picture. Afro-Brazilians(?) have a right to resist the hegemony of white images and culture in Brazilian society. However, right now they are in a period of romanticism with "Africa" (whatever that is) so there can be legitimate criticism of some of their tactics. (I don't do it, because I don't involve myself as guru. But I continually ask the question, Socratically, such as "okay, how will afro-bahian dance stop black youths in the "periferia" from killing and being killed tomorrow?". There might be an answer...there might not be. But there has to be the question.

My buddies in Rio are academics, they are not too pragmatic.

I am an activist, with idealistic views that must be applied pragmatically. If an activist doesn't think that way, they will become a dictator if/when they have power or still be passing out leaflets when they are 90 years old blaming the illuminati and/or Bildersberg Group and/or the military industrial complex for their failure to help one single child in their 90 years.

I did tell them once, that when there is a coup in Brazil and the politicians and lawyers and oligarchs are blindfolded and lined up against the wall that not all of the academics would follow.
Oops...did my post get deleted? Hmmm...think I'll go bike riding.
Christian Colonialism??
Here's a tragedy waiting to happen in Uganda which will be caused by the same idiots that we just defeated in America.

http://www.nytimes.com/video/2...rance.html

By the way, when I mentioned "tongue in cheek" not being gay, that wasn't a judgmental call. Just a statement of where I'm coming from. To each his own.

I don't peek into people's underwear trying to find out the gender of the person they lay next to each night.

Interesting true story: Last week I went to FUNCEB, the dance school funded by the state of Bahia. While sitting in the lobby waiting from some female friends who come from Canada every January for an intensive mini-class, a group of gay guys came down the steps. One of them looked at me, beamed, took my hand and before I knew it, grabbed my head and planted a long sloppy kiss on my cheek.

I'm like..."Okayyyyy..."

When he pulled back, his eyes went wide in shock. "You're not professor (something-or-the-other)." He covers his mouth. Then yells to everybody else. "I thought this was Professor (something-or-the-other). I kissed the rapaz."

Everybody laughed. "You're lucky you didn't get a fist," somebody yelled.

"I know," he said.

I saw him about two days later. He smiled. I said, "Don't kiss me!" He said "You've been here. You know us better than that." and kissed me anyway.

What he meant is that in Salvador, with groups like Muquiranhas (who are thousands of men who dress up in bras, lipstick, high heels, wigs, etc) for carnaval, it's superficial to show your masculinity by avoiding "gay things". As a matter of fact, during carnaval, those men who try to act too "macho" and "masculine" will be the ones targeted by groups like Muquiranhas (who are really hyper macho policemen, soldiers, playboys, athletes, etc) and they will grab you, hug you tightly, kiss your arms and head (especially mine, I'm bald) just to prove that any doubts about your masculinity lies within you, not with us.

I saw them surround this big white guy who kept waving that "elite" finger, saying "leave me alone". One of the Muquiranhas opened his arms to say "hug me and we'll let you go." It took a while but finally the trapped guy hugged the other guy, they all clapped, patted him on the back and let him go.

Really funny!
written by João da Silva, January 23, 2013

not all of the academics would follow.

They may opt to go into exile in Mali (this time) instead of France.smilies/wink.gifsmilies/cheesy.gifsmilies/grin.gif
Simpleton
written by João da Silva, January 23, 2013

Sadly joao, my Algerian experiences were limited, guarded heavily by guys dressed in black carrying automatic weapons and both the helo and onibus that were under orders to protect and transport me were staffed by someone specifically in charge of the BAR.

I have experienced this in a few countries, Simp. I generally look at the ranks of the uniformed and armed personnel, elevate their ranks and say "Oi Capitão, como vai". Then we go into a brief but...but...but.. a nice conversation about the local weather. Then he gets bored with me and let me go.smilies/wink.gifsmilies/cheesy.gifsmilies/grin.gif

In general, it is good to research the country you are visiting, not get involved in their local politics, have a great time and come home in one piece.smilies/wink.gifsmilies/cheesy.gifsmilies/grin.gif
written by asp, January 23, 2013
adrian, the problem with the professor is the way he argues, you think its dissecting pathologies, i think its mixing collage debate team bulls**t, with immediatly attacking the persons character, with a nastiness that deserves to be stuck right up his ass...its my pleasure to roll in the mud and give him what he deserves , and that is what happened on another blog you didnt see...i got banned for kicking his ass, and later he gets banned for obnoxious behaviour that was turning off a huge amount of people over there, not just me... i think he showed behaviour there you havent seen

as for his wifes article, about black american privilege in brazil, i dont agree on all her points , but some i do. i do agree black americans shouldnt superimpose their concept of how afro brazilians should be , but she then uses culture as the whipping boy to make fun of...and she isnt really a woman who has dedicated herself to afro brazilian dance and drumming , and , i know afro brazilian women who have...in a big way...not axe...the real deal...the deal that gets hidden in all the hype and comercialism...in all the major carnival centers...

i remember being in rio a week before carnival , recently on business. and i was in copacabna, they said beija flor was going to be coming down atlantic ave, i walked a long way, i love bateria and passistas more than anything, and, i got there, saw the drummers, the dancers and they canceled because the mayor didnt give pemision...enormous frustration....its hard in salvador, even...i settled for a fine stage show..but, if you dont know how to catch the groups you mentioned, the best parts of brazilian culture are like buried treasure

i do beleive very much that art and culture can lead a youth away from bad choices....i am surpised to hear you say that you dont think so...if the whole society did really back it, there could be an enourmous prestige and self esteem built. i do beleive that escola de samba groups and dancers, like with mangueira de manha, some of carlinhos brown's projects, the maractus and some of those groups up there like nacao pernambuco, the groups tambor de criola , and bumba meu boi, etc have an outlit for some of the youth and does make a differance...it needs more public hype and money to really work
written by asp, January 23, 2013
...adrian ,ill read your uganda article later, but it reminds me of a docu i saw of unganda youth, who had been through civil war and the things they experianced.they were getting together to compete with other uganda youth in various artistic expresions. they won the drum dance competition , and, the expresion on their faces from before, talking about their horrors and how they looked and , after, when they started rehearsing and winning the competition, was unbeleivable...their drumming and dance expresion brought incredible strenth, force and self esteem...i know art can make a differance

so getting back to my comment about her article, i just thought it was really an article written becaue of a resentment she had from some kind of confrontation with some black americans....all americans can learn extremly big time from brazil, because there are so many things in the makeup of our cuontries that are similar...there are deep cultureal expresions that ring serious bells in someone who has had those same cultureal bells rung in the usa...the parrallels are profound and deep and hold rewards for those who can tune in to them...and , the prof and wife dont know how to tune into it...she is an admitted heavy metal fan....cmon

i dont like axe. you have to know where to look in any of these places to get the real deal...i know some artists, so i get some inside info, i reseach other places i dont know...once you have a bead on what you like past the normal hype and comercial stuff...then its just about digging for buried treasure
come home in one piece
written by Simpleton, January 24, 2013
All of what doktor asp proscribes is what is keeping me alive, without it I really question my will to ...

F carnival in Rio. Anyone want to join me and explore Ouro Preto that week? We can meet up at Central to pick up the onibus. If I can find a french horn we can go do some baroque choir from opposing positions. I used to be pretty damb good playing from the balcony in various churches.
The Best thing China can do for the long term is to stay away from the Zionists from Israel and the United States.
written by Ricardo C. Amaral, January 24, 2013

Ricardo: The Best thing China can do for the long term is to stay away from the Zionists from Israel and the United States.

USA and Israel
http://spengler.atimes.net/vie...14&t=18814

Netanyahu Brags About How Easy It Is To Manipulate The United States.

The Israeli Lobby - A Danger To The World

written by asp, January 24, 2013
well, simps, anywhere than where i live, in brazil , will have better carnival...i live in the worst cultural place in brazil...pretty strange for someone who loves so much brazilian culture...but, they sure know how to wear a bikini down here...

i went to salvador in 1986, and was there 6 or 7 more times in the years that followed that....then i didnt go much more until recently and actualy got up to recife more and even lived 6 months for a minute.

the thing about salvador, i got up there before the "axe" movement took off, but i saw all the elements that were forming to lead to the movement, and they were interesting. there was the new beat the bloco afros were developing and it was fresh and exiting. then daniella mercury got big fame and the axe thing took off with paul simon and micheal jackson giving international credibility.

then the hype comercial things came into it.the downside being a homogenisation of this movement. the upside was, for a munute, the government got behind it and there were actualy lots of people working in the music industry in salvador....but the afro brazilian aspect got diminished as we go along. ill never forget in recife , they brought a bunch of groups from salvador to do a desfile in boa viagem. i went there and started to leave after the first trio electrico because it was getting too hot and crowded...as i walked back along the trio electricos getting ready to go, they were warming up in the drum sections. they played anything but the standard axe comercial beats and it was the hippest s**t of the whole thing...

lets face it, afro brazilian culture is on the bottom of the totem pole for real recognition in brazil....that and advanced instrumental music...brazil has some of the best musicians and instrumentalists as anywhere in the world and it gets stomped on and shuffled way in the background....what a pity, so many great great musicians and their workd lost in space
Simpleton
written by João da Silva, January 24, 2013

F carnival in Rio. Anyone want to join me and explore Ouro Preto that week?

Ah prefer Olinda to Ouro Preto! But...but...but... Ah prefer to sit at home during the Carnival and read a nice book ( I am yet to choose the book. Maybe "Winter of the World" But...but..ah don't think they have come out with the Portuguese version. Since ASP is a frequent visitor to SARAIVA, he could clarify)

BTW, you already in Brasil?
written by asp, January 24, 2013
yeah, joao, read a book this carnival...because they god damned canceled it

actualy, only if its mangueira and some pasistas would i run out the door...they were here a couple of years ago at p12....that was worth it...but, i dont like to be deep in crowds, and i dont like the band that likes to play out of tune on purpose here, or those guys that dress as girls, i really would just like to see some drum/dance

oh yeah , saraiva, im a real f**king rhodes scholar
taint there yet
written by Simpleton, January 24, 2013
Salvador (Olinda actually) I must say was the best time of my life with the Dona. That was back in 05 and other than the boom box car across the street from one famous nunnery we visited, I had no negative experiences with electricos. The culture of which asp speaks reverberates within me still, bikini or no bikini.
written by asp, January 28, 2013
tragic fire...im so sorry for the families
hit us like a ton of bricks
written by Simpleton, January 28, 2013
Even in my stupor with the heavy doses of narcotics I have no more choice about taking, I still picked up on the international news early yesterday. So incredibly sad this.
asp
written by João da Silva, January 28, 2013

tragic fire...im so sorry for the families

So am I, ASP. When I woke up yesterday, I turned my Computer on and went through "Estadão" and the headline was shocking. ClicRBS had not given the news yet.

While I am very very sorry for all the young lives lost, I am quite upset with the fact that the "building codes" are not enforced strictly in our country according to the laws. Brasil has got very good traffic laws (in theory), but they are not enforced strictly. Just like the "building" norms.

But...but...but...I sincerely hope the "rulers" of RS don't use this tragedy to enhance their political "image", by going witch hunting.

May the 233 young souls R.I.P.

Very good traffic laws?
written by Simpleton, January 29, 2013
Brsail has no problem with dealing with minor violations of "excess" velocity (all for good reason like rushing someone to the hospital) showing up on my accounts. The "building codes" as far as I have been able to discern don't even exist so I don't see how enforcing them is going to make a difference. I've done quite a few repairs in a lot of areas and what I found under the covers, in the breaker boxes, up strung through the drop ceiling or attic, etc., etc., was truely shocking. Even 145 year old "catalog" houses in the middle of dead no-where Iowa I've seen were "up to code" in comparison. Whether the idiotapyrotectics, entry / exit controls, defective or missing battery backed exit signage, "max capacity" registration is ulimately blamed, it won't matter. There's going to be another tragedy. I don't want to come across as crass or insensitive to those that lost their loved ones but just think about who felt the floors pancaking at the wedding reception in Isreal a couple of years ago or in Centro more recently or the tipsy-doodle in angra.
Simpleton
written by João da Silva, January 29, 2013

Very good traffic laws?

Ok, Simp. I should have said good laws only on paper (or HD,Flash Drive,etcsmilies/wink.gif. A few years ago, I had to undergo a "refresher course" in a Driving school, as this course was obligatory for all those who had got their driving license before 1998. It so happened that the class contained many well educated Brasilians who had gone overseas and driven in several countries (especially in your Homeland). They followed the Brasilian rules and regulations which they had leaned here and had no problem. However most of them complained the rules and regulations are not enforced by the authorities in Brasil.The same thing goes for building codes. In a nutshell, some good technocrats write the rules and regulations and leave to the "elected" and "selected" officials to enforce them. There in comes the politics.smilies/angry.gif

One of the things I like about Sen.Cris Buarque is he emphasizes on the need to enforce the laws written in our constitution.He did it when he was the Governor of DF. No wonder he gets reelected as a senator.I would never forget that, when he was the governor of he came out with a campaign to teach the pedestrians their rights and obligations. I was amazed to see that it was working, in spite of the fact that I consider DF to be a "No mans Land"!

The citizens have to participate in a democracy, Simp and express their voices freely and hold their elected and selected officials responsible for their deeds and misdeeds. That is a novelty among us the Brasilians. Many dislike me when I say "stop complaining and start acting or why don't you call or write to the Deputado?"smilies/cheesy.gif

BTW, the latest article in this site is a nice one.It is titled "It's Time Brazil Stops Blaming the Past for Its Corruption Epidemic". The writer José Ricardo has written an elegant piece of article, more or less expressing my line of thoughts.smilies/grin.gif When I have more time, shall comment in that thread.

"Currency Wars"
written by Ricardo C. Amaral, February 01, 2013

Ricardo: Russian government is also buying gold....

http://spengler.atimes.net/vie...21&t=18851

CrossTalk: Unforgetting Iraq (featuring Pepe Escobar) – February 1, 2013
written by Ricardo C. Amaral, February 01, 2013

CrossTalk: Unforgetting Iraq (featuring Pepe Escobar) – February 1, 2013
http://spengler.atimes.net/vie...87#p449687

Israeli airstrike on Syria, an absolute war crime – February 1, 2013
written by Ricardo C. Amaral, February 02, 2013

Ricardo: Here is an interesting program with George Galloway – a British politician....and a member of the British Parliament.

Israeli airstrike on Syria, an absolute war crime – February 1, 2013
http://spengler.atimes.net/vie...03#p449703

Regarding the USA and its Middle East "Operation Clueless"...
written by Ricardo C. Amaral, February 05, 2013

Charlie Rose Show interview on February 4, 2013 with Tom Donilon, National Security Advisor in the Obama Administration
http://www.charlierose.com/vie...ment_94385

written by Thomo, February 16, 2013
In 1864, a group of about 800 Northern Arapaho Dog Soldiers left their camp under a flag of truce to go make peace with U.S. troops. In their absence, U.S. Army Colonel John Chivington swept in and murdered the women and children left behind.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com...z2L5JOZWdR
Usually a "Currency Wars" is followed by a World War...
written by Ricardo C. Amaral, February 18, 2013

Ricardo: Usually a "Currency Wars" is followed by a real hot war....

Currency Wars Escalate: Russia Stockpiling Gold – February 14, 2013
http://youtu.be/TsFBZPJtpfA

G7 Lies, South American Economy, Swiss Gold – February 14, 2013
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...4Q&index=2

Corbett Report: David L. Smith of GenevaBusinessInsider.blogspot.com joins us for our monthly discussion on economics, finance and politics. This month we cover the G7′s denial of the currency war raging across the globe; the economic outlook of South America; the recent move by Swiss citizens to demand their country repatriate its gold; and the part the ratings agencies have played in enabling the economic wonderland (and systemic crash) we are currently living through.

Corbett Report – February 14, 2013
Big Brother Buses, G7 Currency War, Executive Cybersecurity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...lUsTrN_C4Q

Every Move You Make: US to adopt new biometric surveillance system? - February 17, 2013
http://youtu.be/LGKmjih6rsg

The US is funneling money into tracking systems that are threatening to make the very concept of privacy a thing of the past. It could mean people's every move being used against them to keep them under surveillance.

Meet Zbigniew Brzezinski, Conspiracy Theorist – January 4, 2013

http://youtu.be/pBo134nnIlc

Conspiracy theorists like Zbigniew Brzezinski believe that organizations of interest work behind the scenes to manipulate world politics. They believe that false flag terror events are used to justify wars of aggression on political enemies. They believe that humanitarian rhetoric is used to mask military aggression, as in Syria. In short, they are realistic observers of world politics, just like Zbigniew Brzezinski. Join us today on The Corbett Report as we hear all about the conspiratorial view of history straight from the horse's mouth.

Currency Wars
written by Ricardo C. Amaral, February 18, 2013

AFP – February 15, 2013
Currency Wars

http://youtu.be/0oqGhaHoe7Q

International currency wars are triggered when some of the world's most powerful economies battle to remain commercially competitive. By devaluing their currency, nations are able to benefit from lower exchange rates -- thus favouring trade.
Ricky and Netanyahu
written by Limpopo, February 18, 2013
Ricky, you are probably correct in your assertion that Israel and the Jews are responsible for what ails much of the world. In addition, you are also correct in your criticism of Netanyahu's childish drawing in his effort to explain the inevitable. His awkward attempt to bring the argument down to such a level demonstrates the fact that there will always be a group that won't get it and will forever refuse the intellectual argument.
Reply to Limpopo
written by Ricardo C. Amaral, February 19, 2013

Ricardo: I am agnostic and it does not matter to me which religion anybody wants to follow including the Jewish religion.

The problem with Israel and the Jewish people is with a small group of radicals called Zionists.

The Zionists are like a cancer, and they are very destructive - the Zionists eventually are going to destroy even the state of Israel.

Netanyahu is one of the craziest Zionists that they have in Israel, and around the world - I don't understand why the Israelis can see that Netanyahu is an insane, crazy person and a menace to world peace.

Correction
written by Ricardo C. Amaral, February 19, 2013

Netanyahu is one of the craziest Zionists that they have in Israel, and around the world - I don't understand why the Israelis can't see that Netanyahu is an insane, crazy person, and a menace to world peace.

Ricardo and Netanyahu
written by Limpopo, February 20, 2013
Ricardo, I think you are correct. Netanyahu must be crazy. As someone who has so harshly condemned the Israeli leader, you must be very knowledgeable as to who this Netanyahu character really is. This willingness to sacrifice so much of themselves for such a ridiculous cause as a Jewish state must certainly fit well into your definition of Zionism.
You are probably correct in your assumption that Israel is a passing fancy. The spreading Islamic bomb is only a matter of time, and once the Islamists enjoy the opportunity to tear into each other with nuclear weapons, there will be no way Israel will be able to dodge the ricochets.
How do you feel about Israel investing in Brasilian technology? Is it bad for Brasil, or do you think Brasil should emphasize its role and potential as a major source of resources for Chinese technology?
Brazil should distance itself from Israel like the plague for obvious reasons
written by Ricardo C. Amaral, February 22, 2013

Ricardo: Limpopo, Brazil should distance itself from Israel like the plague for obvious reasons – we don't want Brazil also to become another serf of Israel like the United States has became in the last 40 years.

Americans lost their capability of thinking otherwise how one can explain the massive influence that a little country such as Israel with about 7 million people, and a country that not even existed 60 years ago, it was able to secured complete control of US foreign policy for the last 40 years.

What kind of superpower (USA) let another little country (Israel) set the rules that goes completely against the long term self-interest of the superpower?

You must be “Brain Dead” to let that happen, and the United States has rolled over and it has been an obedient servant of the “Israeli Lobby” for decades.

The insane Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu despises and laughs about the American politicians - Netanyahu Brags About How Easy It Is To Manipulate The United States.

Here are some of the latest examples of Netanyahu showing to the world “How Easy It Is To Manipulate The United States Political System” because most American politicians are more concerned with their political contributions from the “Israeli Lobby” than with the self-interest and welfare of the United States.

N.Y. Daily News – February 21, 2013

Republican Senator Marco Rubio paying homage to his master in Israel the warmongering, neurotic, crazy, raving lunatic, and insane Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu

http://www.nydailynews.com/new...-1.1269211

Rafael Edward "Ted" Cruz is an American politician and the junior United States Senator for the state of Texas. A Republican, Ted Cruz defeated the Democrat Paul Sadler in the November 6, 2012, United States Senate election.

Even though Ted Cruz has been a United States Senator for only 2 months, he already is also a “doormat” of the “Israel Lobby” in the United States. Since becoming a US Senator Ted Cruz went twice to Israel to get his orders from his real masters.

It looks like the state of Texas has elected a piece of garbage to represent them in the US senate.

Senator Ted Cruz Questioning Chuck Hagel in Confirmation Hearing
http://youtu.be/9g6MNWiLSeo

Never mind the massive interference that the insane Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had in the last US presidential election by endorsing Mitt Romney, and the US presidential Mitt Romney went to Israel to raise money for his campaign and get his orders from his masters.

Reply to Joao da Silva and Ederson
written by Ricardo C. Amaral, February 23, 2013

Ricardo: Joao da Silva and Ederson, I recommend that both of you take the time and watch the following geopolitical lesson by Pepe Escobar.

In my opinion, Pepe Escobar is one of the best geopolitical analysts that we have today in the world.

Pepe Escobar interview – February 20, 2013
http://youtu.be/gZe7fxQ0MpE

Write comment

security code
Write the displayed characters

busy

Joomla 1.5 Templates by Joomlashack