Lula’s Answer to His Conviction for Corruption: Launching Candidacy to President

The former Brazilian president Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva responded defiantly to his conviction on corruption charges by formally launching his candidacy for next year’s presidential election.

In an impassioned speech at his Workers’ party headquarters in São Paulo the day after federal judge, Sergio Moro, sentenced him to nine years and six months in jail, Brazil’s first working-class president warned: “Whoever thinks this is the end of Lula is in for a shock.”

As well as denouncing Moro’s ruling, he attacked the prosecutors who built the case against him, as well as the country’s media and political elite.

In the latest ratcheting up of the country’s increasingly polarized political debate, Lula said, to cheers from militants gathered in the street below:

“Lords of the big house, let someone from the slave quarters do what you have no competence to do in this country. Let someone look after this people, because it doesn’t need to be governed by the elite.”

If Wednesday’s sentence is upheld in a higher federal court Lula will be barred from holding any elected office. The judge decided to allow Lula to remain at liberty while he appeals the ruling.

At the Workers’ Party meeting its president, Gleisi Hoffmann, warned: “Any election without the participation of President Lula is a fraud.”

Although his rejection rating in polls is above 50%, Lula is the front runner in next year’s presidential race. His removal would pose a major challenge for the Workers’ Party. Engulfed in corruption scandals, it has no competitive candidate to replace him.

Lula was convicted of corruption and money laundering after Moro accepted the argument of federal prosecutors that he was the ultimate owner of a beachfront triplex apartment, having received it from a construction company in return for favors at Petrobras, Brazil’s semi-state oil giant.

Lula denies the accusation, saying the conviction relies on the word of company executives who gave false testimony against him in order reduce their own sentences for corruption. He challenged his detractors to provide “a single proof against me”. “I’d be happier if I was convicted because of some evidence,” he said.

An appeal could take between six and 18 months. The higher federal court responsible for reviewing Judge Moro’s sentences in the sprawling anti-corruption operation that started as an investigation into wrongdoing at Petrobras has so far upheld about two-thirds of his rulings.

Mercopress

Tags:

You May Also Like

Image: Ueslei Marcelino Credit: Reuters.

The Deep Structure of Bolsonaro’s Brazil

Many writers and filmmakers claim artistic expression is more powerful at transmitting the tragedy ...

X claimed that closing its offices in Brazil was necessary 'to protect the safety of our staff'

Musk Closes X Offices in Brazil and Blames Supreme’s Censorship for It

Social media website X, formerly Twitter, has closedits local operations in Brazil after a ...

Federal Police agents visit Odebrecht

Brazil’s Odebrecht Bribe Bug Has Already Infected 11 Countries

Despite their different political affiliations and ideologies, Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos, former Brazilian ...

Brazilians protesting in the streets

Lula’s Conviction Is a Testament to How Far Brazil Has Come as a Democracy

After Dilma Rousseff was ousted as president in August 2016, Brazil’s pro-impeachment camp confidently ...

José Serra, a PSDB leader - Fabio Rodrigues Pozzebom

Despite Scandals, PSDB Stays with Brazil President to Support Austerity Reforms

The interim national president of Brazil’s PSDB party, Senator Tasso Jereissati, said on Monday ...

Karl Marx (1818-1883), philosopher, author, social theorist, and economist.

Thanks to Bolsonaro the Cultural Marxism Conspiracy is Alive and Well in Brazil

“Cultural Marxism” is a right-wing conspiracy theory that accuses the Frankfurt School — comprised ...